Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Old Stand

• 24-08-2012 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Work underway in the Old Stand. Great to see something happening there, Anything is better than a empty building. Love to see a pub open there but I would say thats unlikely.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

jad2007 wrote: »
    Work underway in the Old Stand. Great to see something happening there, Anything is better than a empty building. Love to see a pub open there but I would say thats unlikely.

I heard Anthony Heffernan(owner of the golden vale) bought that, any truth in that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Would love to see something happen there, i hope they arent just messing around with the hoarding. would make a great shop but no shop/store is going to pay for renovation, they want new big floor space to move into with minimum fuss.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

I'd say its just building maintenance to secure the structure which also involves work on the hoarding. There will be nothing going in there for a while yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Partizan wrote: »
    I'd say its just building maintenance to secure the structure which also involves work on the hoarding. There will be nothing going in there for a while yet.

You're probably right of course, but do you know that for sure?

I guess we'd probably have seen a planning application if anything was happening. I skim them and didn't see anything, but I could easily have missed something related to this premises...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

fricatus wrote: »
    You're probably right of course, but do you know that for sure?

I guess we'd probably have seen a planning application if anything was happening. I skim them and didn't see anything, but I could easily have missed something related to this premises...

I passed by there recently and didn't see one although I think there was planning permission at one stage there for apartments. Not 100% sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

So it's def not Flash's next project? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jad2007

amazing how quickly this thread went from positive to neagtive,

"ah sure they are probably just fixing the hoarding".

Speaking as one who has actually seen the building today, they are working inside. Not on the hoarding. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

amazing how quickly this thread went from positive to neagtive,

"ah sure they are probably just fixing the hoarding".

Speaking as one who has actually seen the building today, they are working inside. Not on the hoarding. :)

Well in fairness, the hoarding does need fixing and we have had a lot of false dawns recently with proposed developments and shops never materialising.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Nas10

I know one of the lads that bricked it up on all downstairs doors and windows, having seen it today myself those bricks have been cut out to allow access

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭libra02

The only planning permission for broad street is for 13 Broad Street - a protected structure.

So that could be it and conditional permission has been granted for a new shopfront to be constructed and all associated works.

Other than that I do not think there is any other planning pplications.

Mind you looking at the amount of weeds and plants growing out of the upstairs windows maybe it was in danger of fallling down and work had to be done to keep it safe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

libra02 wrote: »
    The only planning permission for broad street is for 13 Broad Street - a protected structure.

So that could be it and conditional permission has been granted for a new shopfront to be constructed and all associated works.

Other than that I do not think there is any other planning pplications.

Mind you looking at the amount of weeds and plants growing out of the upstairs windows maybe it was in danger of fallling down and work had to be done to keep it safe?

The Old Stand is on Michael St.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭libra02

gscully wrote: »
    The Old Stand is on Michael St.

:o

Oops I am always thinking there is Broad Street instead of Michael Street.

Say it is just maintenance work so. Needed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

I hope they open it back up as a pub. There was nothing like starting there on a Friday or Saturday night and then heading down to flow motion in Egans. It'd be great to see life put back into that end of the town again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 pilgrim4

Agree with ya there Cartell.Twas some place to meet and make your decision left or right...right for an alternative night in the roxy or flow or left for a mainstream night in mulldoons or preachers.
    Much prefer to see a pub there rather than a shop but im biased because of the memories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Oh I'd love to see it reopened as a pub.. I've memories of when I just started going out. It was such a great place !

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Nas10

I was asking my mate, he said Dunnes own it that they paid them when they bricked it up. Maybe they need it as a storage room

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Birdfood

It was purchased by developers for big money who thought they were on to a winner when Bank of Scotland were interested in a lease on it. Then Bank of Scotland left the Irish Market and that plan went to pot and it's vacant ever since. Never heard of Dunnes owning it unless it's been sold to them since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

It would certainly be like Dunnes to take advantage of the current state of the market and the owners misfortune. In retail property circles they have a terrible reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jad2007

Eh Dunnes are the owner. They bought it years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

I'm nearly certain Dunne's bought it from the Reid's,owner's of the old stand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Would it need much structural work done to it? If I ever won the Lotto, I'd love to buy it and open it up as a pub again and do food! :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I thought Noel Burke Developments from Galway bought it.

And its currently up for lease at the moment with Halley Grace

Linky

I'd say they are spending some money on it to freshen the building up a bit as no one is going to rent that property in its current state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

ToxicPaddy wrote: »

Linky

I'd say they are spending some money on it to freshen the building up a bit as no one is going to rent that property in its current state.

Spoke to one of the workers yesterday, it's a weeks work cleaning up the place inside, that's all folks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Linky

Spoke to one of the workers yesterday, it's a weeks work cleaning up the place inside, that's all folks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Raykiely

See new windows and doors being put in there today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

Raykiely wrote: »
    See new windows and doors being put in there today

Just because you used your real name as a username I had to go and have a nosy on facebook. Dont know ya but welcome to the site anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Raykiely

lol Thanks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Linky

to let signs, only go up to avoid rates....

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kayevajo

i heard from a good source that the reid family have bought it back, and are reopening it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

kayevajo wrote: »
    i heard from a good source that the reid family have bought it back, and are reopening it.

Would be good if its true as was always a good spot..

Advertisement