Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Old Stand

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    Would be good if its true as was always a good spot..

+1 there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 4MWD

Afraid I learned tonight that The Old Stand has not been sold and is not reopening. Bank have agreed to release some money to allow new windows and doors to be installed on foot of a Derelict Site Notice issued by Waterford City Council in the hope that someone might buy or rent it then. Better then having hoarding around it but still will look bad to have it not in use, it being in such a prime city centre location.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

If ever there was a case for a Site Value Tax, this is it. Get people who sit on properties like this to pay up, and hopefully in the process persuade them to sell on to someone who will make productive use of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Anybody know anymore about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Any news on this place passed it earlier its not looking in the best nick. Council would want to slap another dereliction notice on the place. Is it a Nama place? Must be closed 7 or 8 years at this stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭iseegirls

jayboi wrote: »
    Any news on this place passed it earlier its not looking in the best nick. Council would want to slap another dereliction notice on the place. Is it a Nama place? Must be closed 7 or 8 years at this stage

It looks terrible at the moment. They did a revamp with it a year or so ago - putting in the windows, and removing the cardboard, but most of the glass is cracked now - and there seems to be a large window open upstairs all the time. Place must be a mess inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭homecouldbhere

Yeah shame.
    I've great memories of that place being jointed on a Saturday afternoon.
    From memory I'm not sure if the square footage would be adequate for a major retailer.
    If it were to be reopened as a pub it might stretch the crowd up a bit from Geoffs and the Kazbar...but hard to see it working out.
    Back in the day we would regularly meet up at T & Hs and work our way up the town via the Stand.
    I remember moaning about how it was such a trek from T & Hs! On down then to Merlins!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

AFAIK and I could be wrong, it cannot be opened as a pub due to the license expiring on it... or something along those lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Could have been a good location for Wetherspoons but possibly a bit small.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

Is it true about Whetherspoons going to TSB in Arundel Sq?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

They looked at the stand but no smoking area, Arundel could be a runner alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Could have been a good location for Wetherspoons but possibly a bit small.

I thought Wetherspoons were going into the old TSB bank in Arundel Square?

Edit: Just saw Savics reply, seems we heard the same rumour.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

How much is The Stand going for these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

savic04 wrote: »
    Is it true about Whetherspoons going to TSB in Arundel Sq?
    A lock-in in a vault sounds cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Where's the smoking area in the TSB?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Where's the smoking area in the TSB?!

It's not only the TSB it's the two building on Broad Street as well, essentially the old Flanagans premises , there is open space between them still.

Advertisement