Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Damien Duff retires from the NT.

• 24-08-2012 1:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭

Just reading on twitter via Daniel McDonnell that Duffer has decided to retire. Another legend gone.

Thank you for the memories, Duffer!
    Daniel McDonnell ‏@McDonnellDan

Damien Duff retires from Irish duty. And Trap was confident he would stay on - not to mention some people who knew him well. Sad day.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

Duff will be missed, a great Irish player and performer for the national team. I'm guessing Robbie Keane - another legend - will follow. I don't understand why these retirements have been left to the day a squad is announced.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

The Duffer will be missed.

Maybe this will force Trap to play people in their proper position.

McClean on the left and McGeady on the right doesn't sound too bad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

At least in Duff's case we have decent cover.
    Given's retirement was a bigger blow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

:( What a legend.

This probably means McGeady on the right and McClean on the left?

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

All the breast to the Duffer, great player.

Please Zod, Keane will follow suit now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Blue Shamrock

Remember watching him part of Brian Kerr's underage team think he scored goal that secured 3rd place in the U20 World cup? against Spain has being my favorite Irish player since then sad to see him go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Please Zod, Keane will follow suit now...

Really, you hope our top scorer retires?

I dont even know anymore.

Anyway, if its true wish Duff well with his Fulham career, he was an excelent servant for the Irish team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Real pity. Great servant to the national team. Will be missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Great servant over the years. Not as big a loss as given at this moment in time as I believe Duffer shouldn't start anyway but wish him well with his Fulham career

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

Eathrin wrote: »
    At least in Duff's case we have decent cover.
    Given's retirement was a bigger blow.

id agree to an extent but kieran westwood has very impressive in the games he stood in for shay. maybe paddy kenny might come out of retirement :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Really, you hope our top scorer retires?

That's beside the point. When you're past it you're past it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Good man Duffer. An absolute legend. Will be sadly missed.

McLean and Westwood have big boots to fill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

I agree. Ravaged by injury but for his commitment when he could play he deserves all the tits he can grab :D

tbh with Keane, he simply is not playing at a top enough level at his age to compete with even the mid rankers. Not really sure he has it in him for a 24 hour round trip from LA to Kazakh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

It's a sad day. I grew up watching him terrorising defences. One of the most naturally talented player we've ever produced. He'll be missed.

Hopefully McClean can step up to the plate and make that position his own for the next 10 years or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Hopefully McClean can step up to the plate and make that position his own for the next 10 years or more.

While we owe Duff, fact is he is old and injury prone, and yet Trap would probably have preferred a Duff not even match fresh over an on fire McClean who he still likely reckons does not get "the system". Lets not forget, McClean would not have even went to Poland only the FAI forced Traps hand by saying an ommission would be a step too far in his conservatism in terms of fan opinion. Despite his great season, if it was solely up to Trap, McClean would not have went to Poland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,031 ✭✭✭bren2001

He will always live on as one of the greatest wingers we had. I remember being chuffed when Mourinho wanted him.

My best memory of him has to be Saudi Arabia, I was only 11, great memories. I had hope he would stay on as cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

sad day for us, another legend retires. this will however force trap to put more faith, play the likes of mclean. duffer was a great player for us, never let us down and scored/created lots of important goals for us. my favourite is the one he got against saudi arabia in the WC in 2002 and equally his celebration was class !!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

An absolute legend.

From the moment I first saw him at the World Youth Championships in 1997 I was always excited at the thought of watching any game in which he was involved.

Outstanding for his country even in the later years when he may have lost a bit of pace but managed to be become one of our smartest users of the ball, taking it back inside and retaining it under pressure or even knowing when and how to win a free kick if our backs were to the wall.

Our highest assister as recently as the WC 2010 qualifying campaign and played his part in an absolute peach of a goal in Paris when Kilbane and Duffer combined to setup Keane.

We'll remember the bow in Asia but we'll also remember how immensely proud we all were, particularly when Englnad were going through a drought of left-sided players, to see Duffer test the best defences in the league and in Europe in the Champions League.

We are better served in the wide areas then we have been for years (McClean, Hunt, McGeady, Coleman, Lawrence if needed and even Keith Treacy) but I am still sad to see our best technical winger call it a day.

Thanks for the memories Duffer.

That's beside the point. When you're past it you're past it.

??

Top scorer WC 2010 campaign

Top scorer Euro 2012 Campaign

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Good night, sweet Prince.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

Adios Duff, best time to go after a great international career. Hopefully enough of the young players come through now.

Maybe next up will be Robbie, it has been a while since he has done it for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Thanks Duffer .

duffer.jpg

legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭TheBunk1

Farewell Duffer. Legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I always felt that he would retire after the Euros, just expected it to be announced quicker than this tbh.

Thanks Duffer for the great memories, a great servant to Ireland over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

bren2001 wrote: »
    He will always live on as one of the greatest wingers we had. I remember being chuffed when Mourinho wanted him.

My best memory of him has to be Saudi Arabia, I was only 11, great memories. I had hope he would stay on as cover.

he was signed when ranieri was chelsea boss and morinho had him for a single season before selling to newcastle

aindriu80 wrote: »
    Adios Duff, best time to go after a great international career. Hopefully enough of the young players come through now.

Maybe next up will be Robbie, it has been a while since he has done it for us.

Well he did it for us in the last qualifying campaign in fairness by scoring 7 goals in fairness..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Roger Sterling

One of our greatest ever.I remember seeing this little blonde fella destroy Norwsy on the wing in an underage game when he was around 16 and thinking "if he can't make it no one csn."

sweetie wrote: »
    he was signed when ranieri was chelsea boss and morinho had him for a single season before selling to newcastle

Mourinho had him for two seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

While we owe Duff, fact is he is old and injury prone, and yet Trap would probably have preferred a Duff not even match fresh over an on fire McClean who he still likely reckons does not get "the system". Lets not forget, McClean would not have even went to Poland only the FAI forced Traps hand by saying an ommission would be a step too far in his conservatism in terms of fan opinion. Despite his great season, if it was solely up to Trap, McClean would not have went to Poland.

what proof if any have you for this?:confused:

• Advertisement

what proof if any have you for this?:confused:

You'd be best off ignoring that.

For your sanity like.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Very sad to see him go, one of my favourite ever players. Cheers Duffer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭RayCon

Thanks Damien. Hope you have many more years at club level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Cheers, lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

noodler wrote: »
    You'd be best off ignoring that.

For your sanity like.

My sanity went out the window shortly after i joined boards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Cheers Damo

378365_10152078757315441_1271428235_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

first Given. Now Duff. Am I the only one ****ting it that Dunne will retire next week?

Truly the end of an era with Shay and Damien gone. Such memories

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Great servant, legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,261 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

A real pity to see him go, always was a great player for us.

My favourite goal was the one he got at Landsdowne against Russia in the Euro 2004 qualifiers. Can't find a vid on Youtube but, iirc, he got the ball about the thirty yards, had a short run then smashed it in from the edge of the box. It was a beauty.

For some reason, I thought we won that game but Wiki says Russia equalised a few minutes after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

It's a shame to see him go but thankfully we actually have some cover in his position. He's the one we could most afford to lose of the old guard but it still sucks to see him go.

Good luck Damo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

he's only 33 , whats he retiring for, plenty more miles in them legs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Our number of free kicks per game will dramatically decrease from here on in without him. Master at the art of diving!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Our number of free kicks per game will dramatically decrease from here on in without him. Master at the art of diving!

harsh! low centre of gravity, dribbled a lot, always twisting and turning......... hence he gets caught a lot and goes down relatively easy. Tom Daley esque Diving? negative!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

harsh! low centre of gravity, dribbled a lot, always twisting and turning......... hence he gets caught a lot and goes down relatively easy. Tom Daley esque Diving? negative!!

He purposely flops to the ground every time he receives even the slightest touch from an opponent(often no touch). I'm in awe how he's got away with it all his career without having any bad reputation, a master as I said. And fyi low centre of gravity= more balanced usually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

I wonder if a new manager had come in after the Euros would they be retiring?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

Rekop dog wrote: »
    He purposely flops to the ground every time he receives even the slightest touch from an opponent(often no touch). I'm in awe how he's got away with it all his career without having any bad reputation, a master as I said. And fyi low centre of gravity= more balanced usually.

Dear God you do get the worst on these forums.

Actually devastated to see him retire. Him and Given emerged as I got into football and were always my favourite Irish players, will not be the same without them.

His emotion after Paris really embodied the passion he put into the green jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

I think it's the right time, one of our best ever but let's give the new guys a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

I will always remember Duff's brilliant performances at the WC 2002 in Korea and Japan. Great servant to his country and gave it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Anyone else feel really old upon hearing this? Seems like only yesterday he burst on the scene.

Thanks for everything, Duffer. One of the most reliable crossers of a ball I've seen pull on the green jersey. Gonna miss that Duff-Keane combo.

Would be interesting to know how many of Robbie's goals were Duff assists. Feels to me like a good few were.

Anyone else feel really old upon hearing this? Seems like only yesterday he burst on the scene.

Thanks for everything, Duffer. One of the most reliable crossers of a ball I've seen pull on the green jersey. Gonna miss that Duff-Keane combo.

Would be interesting to know how many of Robbie's goals were Duff assists. Feels to me like a good few were.

Off the top of my head:

WC 2010 Qualifiers:

Cyprus (H)
    Cyprus (A)
    Georgia (H)
    France (A)

I can't remember as well before that!

• Advertisement
Advertisement