Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the secret millionaire in Waterford?

Options
  • 24-08-2012 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭

So a good friend of my mother has cancer and was asked to give an account of her story to RTE a little while ago (and about Waterford Hospice) and seemingly she got a call this week for a few follow up questions, they turn up and it turns out that the chap or girl was the secret millionaire and they are sending this ladies children home from OZ for a holiday. I believe she is delighted.

Anyway, I don't know who is familiar with the show but they usually take place around a City/Area and I was wondering had anyone heard anything? Seemingly it's going to air in October.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Yeah, I heard there was a secret millionaire out near Ballybeg recently. He donated money to some organic garden place which gets kids involved. (sorry, i can't remember the name of the place)
    The place was close to folding up due to lack of funding, and this has been a massive boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Good stuff. I quite like the programme. The Irish version is actually ok, considering the hash RTE sometimes make when trying to convert foreign shows. Looking forward to watching this.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

Looking forward to it meself

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭spankysue

I don't watch the secret millionaire at all, but I love hearing about great acts of kindness like this. Really reminds you that there's a lot of good people out there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Swinng

Just was looking at the RTE schedule and saw this is on next Monday at 9:30

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Silverado

I was looking at last night's Secret Millionaire and it showed Richard Mulcahy in Limerick. It was very well done and showed just how bad things have gone in Limerick but I thought that Richard Mulcahy might have been better in Waterford. After all his grandparents lived on Manor St. and his grandfather (General Richard Mulcahy) was educated in Mount Sion.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

spankysue wrote: »
    I don't watch the secret millionaire at all, but I love hearing about great acts of kindness like this. Really reminds you that there's a lot of good people out there :)
    If you have American netflix you should watch "the buried life" . Some of the things the lads do for complete strangers is brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

While its nice to be a recipient the whole Secret Millionaire thing is a nonsense, if they are that self effacing they wouldn't be the subject of a tv series.

mike65 wrote: »
    While its nice to be a recipient the whole Secret Millionaire thing is a nonsense, if they are that self effacing they wouldn't be the subject of a tv series.
    True, but on the plus side, it can highlight the work of charities/people which you may not be aware of.

• Administrators Posts: 13,972 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I personally know of one of the "secret millionaires" from the last series. He does alot more work that nobody ever hears about.

The television show is just that. Television. It's meant to be entertainment. And as CardbordWindow says, it gives publicity to lots of small, community charities that otherwise they woudn't get... surely that's not a bad thing?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No its not, but I tend to be a cynic about the machinations of the telly box and all on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

If it gets publicity for a worthy charity then it seems fair enough to me. And its better than other reality tosh like tallafornia/fade st/the travellers are fighting again etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

Seen a few of the UK version episodes, meh, dunno really some of them seemed fine who genuinely wanted to help others while a few others just seemed to be more on an ego trip or a self publishing mission. I suppose you can view these things both ways.

• Administrators Posts: 13,972 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Ah, even the Irish one is a bit like that. The fella I know is a very genuine, hardworking fella and he helped charities that were very very close to his heart. And that came across in his programme. There were quiet a few tears, from grown men.

But the following week, the fella didn't seem as genuine, he still helped people, obviously but wasn't as 'involved' as the previous week.

Just a bump that this is on telly now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Just watching this. JobBridge has taken that man off the dole? Blatant lie there for starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

mfitzy wrote: »
    Just watching this. JobBridge has taken that man off the dole? Blatant lie there for starters.

He said dole money plus 50euro. And he works a 30 hour week. He called it a jobbridge placement.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I won't get a chance to watch it till tomorrow. Is it any good?

He said dole money plus 50euro. And he works a 30 hour week. He called it a jobbridge placement.

Still on the dole though, it's the same but you get a whole extra €50. I call it exploitation but hey that's me...poor guy, has a family and all.

ziedth wrote: »
    I won't get a chance to watch it till tomorrow. Is it any good?

It's a nice programme. Hospice are great people and do great work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭inlikeflynn86

Here comes the tears :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

a measly 15k to the hospice:rolleyes: being a "millionaire" wouldn't you think he'd give a bit more than that...i would've gave at least 50k

and he gives those plebs 7k for a new roof "pub without alcohol" as he called it himself:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

fryup wrote: »
    a measly 15k to the hospice:rolleyes: being a "millionaire" wouldn't you think he'd give a bit more than that...i would've gave at least 50k

and he gives those plebs 7k for a new roof "pub without alcohol" as he called it himself:cool:

Why moan? He didn't have to give anything at all ffs.

facepalm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,583 ✭✭✭Speak Now

He's not a Millionaire :P

Who the f­uck are you to criticize someone that gave money to a charity?

Why don't you go out and give them 50 grand then big man.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 deiseabu

Seemed like a reasonable guy who was genuinely moved by some of the people/prganisations that he encountered

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Tarzann

Edz87 wrote: »
    Who the f­uck are you to criticize someone that gave money to a charity?

Why don't you go out and give them 50 grand then big man.

Same guy (fryup) had this to say about the ploughing championships:

NATIONAL PLOUGHING CHAMPIONSHIPS - What's the appeal?
    i always thought Ireland was now a sophisticated modern country, but after being at the ploughing yesterday i think i may have to change my mind i've never seen so many boggers, culchies, inbreds, rednecks, yokels, and general gombeenism in all my life ..i thought we were beyond that?

Seems a nice guy lol :eek:

Ugh, I bit didn't I.

10/10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

any chance someone could upload this to Youtube for me? I'm dying to see the Waterford episode, but unfortunately I'm not in Ireland and Rte Player won't allow it to be viewed in my region. It would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement