Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway City to Waterford City

Options
  • 24-08-2012 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

Would anyone advise me on the best route from Galway City to Waterford City. Its a long trip and I believe there are a few different routes. Good roads or motorway!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Up2NoGood

I make the trip regularly, The quickest way is through Tipp town, Limerick junction and straight through. Total time 3 hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Tim the Enchanter

I was only up in Galway during the week. If you decide to come down through Limerick be aware that the main road is closed just south of Limerick. A detour will bring you through Doon, Cappamore, Cappawhite, and onto Cashel completely by passing Limerick Junction,Tipp town, Bansha, etc. This will ad half an hour to the journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

Galway to Dublin, Dublin to Waterford.
    It's not the shortest of routes but nearly all motor way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Tim the Enchanter

Galway-Dublin-Waterford is about a 4 hour trip, all motorway. Given the detour on the limerick road i would tend to agree with this route though.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AndyKiely

I would advise go the Dublin route if you're traveling at night. We traveled back from Waterford last night going the route to Limerick and it was horrific going those back roads in the dark. Nearly took the same amount of time as it would have taken to go to Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I'm a bit sketchy on this 'cos I only tried it once but Galway - Athlone - Tullamore - Portlaoise - Kilkenny - Waterford

I can't remember times but it seemed pretty easy at the time with decent stretches on good roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Galway Dublin Waterford, quite a bit longer but ultimately safer easier on your head and will cost probably less in fuel.
    Remember the tractors are out this time of year in a big way!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Done it loads of times and stick with Motorway all the way as its easier. Better roads, better traffic (two lanes all the way, so you can go at your own pace), and its just more stress free than dealing with busy towns/poor roads/****e drivers etc.

Waterford -> Dublin then Dublin > Galway. All Motorway, no going through cities/towns. Take the M50 then Northbound and Exit for Sligo (IIRC). Keep going on through the toll, onto the Athlone Bypass, onto the remaining stretch of Motorway into Galway.

The road to Galway just outside of Dublin has a Motorway Service Area so you can pull in and get Burger King / Costa Coffee / Petrol / Toilet (even a shower :P) to break the journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Nas10

Dont go to dublin, cut through clane and sallins and out onto the naas part of the motorway and save time

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

Try route planner on AA website.. http://routes.aaireland.ie/ just key in the different routes and it will tell you the time it takes and petrol used etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Fly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Minister

Dan133269 wrote: »
    Fly!

No longer available, but was ok value.

Service between airports ceased earlier this year or late last year iirc.

Advertisement