Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urgent Advice needed got refused grant!

Options
  • 24-08-2012 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Ill go straight into detail with this one an advice would is needed im so pissed off about it and dont know what to do.

I have done a plc in network and systems level 6 that exempted me from first year in many courses. I done a course in gmit level 7 and quit in the first year as i didnt like it. I applied for direct entry in to year 2 of a level 7 course in LIT and got accepted. My grant letter came this morning saying ive been refused under these circumstances.

Refused: Previously attended undergrad level 6 or 7 Course (A)
    As per article 15(7)(b)(i) of the Student Grant Scheme 2012 applicants who previously attended but not completed an equivalent period of study on an approved undergraduate course at level 6 or 7 of the framework of qualifications before being enigible to be considered for a grant.

Now i rang susi and said that im going into second year incase they made a mistake Thinking that im not doing first year i must be eligable for a grant in second year. It makes sense doesn't it? No grant for first year because ive already had my grant for it before.

They told me that becasue im going into a new course even tho its into second year its still seen as im doing first year WTF! 20 euro of credit later trying to figure out my options i was told that if i was in a level 8 course i would be seen as making progression and would get the grant for first year of a level 8!

So straight on the phone to LIT i explained everything to the admissions office even they were stumped and thought that it was not right. After a small chat with the lady ther she suggested i try and get a level 8 course there that similar to the one i was going to do. First year isnt an option cos ther obliviously full! I put in a transfer into second year of a level 8 program and got call back within an hour saying i just have to send an email to explain the transfer and ill be in it no problem.

Got all that done rang back susi repeated myself and told them im changing course and ill be doing a level 8 and would be heading into year 2. I was told nope still refused at this point im so mad i keep my kwl and i get put onto the supervisor now im waiting for a call back as ther going to see if im eligible now cos ive changed.

Anyone have any thoughts on this it just seems mad im not allowed a grant for going into second year. Ive now changed my course and lost som hair over the whole thing :(:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Sounds a bit suss to me. I would ring the Dpt of Education Student Support Unit. They are the ones who decide grant and fee policy and make sure the colleges and SUSI follow it.

It wouldn't be the first time someone made a a mistake in determining eligibility.

Student support: Tel: 057 9325317

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Blargh

Ok heres the update just got a call back 10 mins ago. I am eligible for the grant for a level 7 and 8 because i am exempt from first year. I now have to re-apply again for them to process it but they said they would fast track it. Was told two weeks :eek: for approval. I am so mad at the whole situation! I have followed the advice of the staff ther and CHANGED:mad: my course to something similar so i could go to college this year and i cannot change it back now for any reason as its already done.

How many people has this happened to and they just accepted the fact that they couldn't get a grant. Its unprofessional and i didn't even get an apology!:mad::mad: I changed my course choice because of the wrong information that i was given and this has made a massive impact on my life. To make it worse its not over yet what if it happens again :(:(

Advertisement