Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD 1st Year JOINT ARTS entry info

Options
  • 24-08-2012 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭

I thought about doing this before but I started to confuse myself, but here we go. Hope the Mods don't mind.

Basic info on your first year entry and module selection. This is more specific to Joint Arts, but the registration system is the same so the information below should be useful to others. I’m not going to comment on the Residences as I’ve no experience in it. Bare in mind, this is being typed from memory! I did this all last year.

1. Username and password – CAO number and your date of birth (ddmmyy). For international students I don’t know but it’s probably your application number or UCD assigned you one.

2. UCD Connect and SIS Web are separate programs and have to be logged into.

3. SIS Web is available on the main UCD webpage. It’s a green box underneath the UCD Connect log in. It is also on the right hand side of the UCD Connect page in the tab ‘STUDENT LIFE’.

4. SIS Web is where you register your Personal Details and Modules. Modules will not be available to you until a later date to prevent system crashing.

5. Fees do not have to be paid on the day. You can skip it for now.

6. Photo upload is for your UCARD/Student ID. This has to last for the duration of the course so make it a good one. To replace the card there is a fee.

When you log into SIS Web select the ‘Enter Registration Process’ button and it will take you to the welcome speech from the President of UCD. There may be a Terms and Condition page. Just continue to the Personal Details and fill in what you can. Anyone who has applied to SUSI – type in the number correctly as this CANNOT be amended.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

BA Arts – Joint Degree – DN500

Subject – English, Irish, History etc

Module – A class on your subject

Core Module – Compulsory module. This must be completed to progress to the next level.

Option Module – It’s optional.

Elective Module – You have two of these a year. They can be used in any module in UCD.

Semester – Basically you have two semesters. The first, before Christmas, the second, beginning in the New Year.

Provisional - If you have a provisional status on a module, it means that you are not yet registered. Places are given out by random selection and you'll get an email before start of term if you were successful in getting a place. If not, you have to find something else.

When you applied via the CAO, you were given the option to select your two subject choices. If you did this you will be assigned to 2 modules in the given subject. These may be core modules, depending on your course. If you didn’t do this, you will have to ensure you select the CORE modules if you plan to continue the Subject to Degree level.

The fun bit:

In one year you have 60 Credits (60ECTS).
    Most people divide them into 30 ECTS per Semester.
    Most modules are worth 5 ECTS, but some can be worth more.

When you log in to the MODULES section you will be shown six groupings labelled A through F. If you have selected subjects via the CAO, your subject will be preselected for you and you cannot remove it. If you haven’t picked, this is where you do it. You can only select one from each group.

Continue on and ignore the next screen. That’s for repeats/failed modules.

Next screen is the CORE and OPTION page.

There is a VIEW CALENDAR button at the top right which will show you your timetable, which will help with the next process.

If you preselected a subject, UCD will assign you to 2 modules. These may be CORE modules so don’t drop them. It is up to you to add the other OPTION modules. You are generally expected to complete 4 modules in your given subject.

If you didn’t select with the CAO, ensure you select your CORE modules.

After selecting your 4 subject Modules, you will probably notice that you have not yet reached 60 ECTS and only have 40 ECTS. This is normal. You will still have 10 ECTS to use in Electives. There are another remaining 10 ECTS that MUST be used within the Arts subjects. Doesn’t matter what you take, but they have to be used this way. To add other arts subjects, you may have to go back to the SUBJECT/STREAM page.

Continue on and the next screen is for picking your TUTorials, Small Meeting Groups, SEMinars and LABoratories.

Next Screen is the ELECTIVES. This may be locked until later on. You should have 10 electives available to you BUT if you have used up your 60 ECTS this option may be removed for you. If you go over your 60 ECTS you'd have to pay for them, so ensure that you don't. It's up to you to manage your degree.
    This screen is a pain and time-consuming. You can search by subject, school or Keyword, but make sure you select the ALL option of you will find nothing except arts modules. Regardless of what you select, you will only be PROVISIONAL for these and it will not show up in credits until later.

The next screen will be for the Tutorials etc. This will also be locked until later.

That’s it. You are done. You should have 60 ECTS (with the 10 ECTS pending from Electives).

Any odd queries ask below and you might get an answer.

TIPS –

Check your calendar when adding modules. Remember you have to eat!

A 3 hour block is often enough.

There is a progression rule – You must have a MINIMUM of 10 ECTS completed to progress to the next year. By the end of 1st year you may have wanted to drop, say English in favour of something else. If you have the minimum completed, you can do this, but if you didn’t complete the CORE, you can’t.

Module codes are made of three different parts - Subject, Level and reference no. In first year you will probably take all Level 1 modules, though you can take any level in electives.
    EG. ENG10050 - English - Level 1 - 0050(ref)
    ENG31120 - English - Level 3 - 1120(ref)
    HIS20520 - History - Level 2 - 0520(ref)

If you plan to do an ERASMUS year, there is an expectation that you have a GPA of around 2.1, though this may change and should be checked beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kkumk

Amazing thread! So necessary judging by the amount of confused people posting atm!

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭AlmightyDublin

Really helpful!!! THANK YOU!! :D

• Advertisement

Was just taking a look at the new program and it would seem that Introduction to Arts (HUM10030) is now mandatory, which means that you will have 5 less credits to use. I don't know if they assign it to you or if you select it yourself, so keep it in mind during the selection process.

Read about it here
    http://www.ucd.ie/acshs/baft_stageone.html

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭KatiexKOUTURE--

If you are pre registered to a subject, does that mean that you are signed up just to the core modules or the core and optional modules? Also, do you have to register for Semester 2 modules now?

If you are preregistered you will more than likely be added to the core modules if there are any in your subject. Otherwise you are just added to two option modules to secure you a place in your subject. You are expected to select the other two modules for your subject.

Yes, you register for your semester 2 modules now, but there is an opportunity to change them after Christmas.

Thought of another thing:

I'll use Geography as the example since that is where I found it.

I'd two modules in Sem 1 and each had a tutorial.
    For one module the tutorial was on in Weeks 3, 5, 6, 8, 10
    The other was on in Weeks 4, 7, 9, 11
    I used the same time slot and room number for the tutorial since they didn't clash.
    Meant I was going to the same place without having to run and check my calender every week to see where the hell I was going.
    Also had the same tutor, so I'd less names to take note of.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Hi everyone.

My brother (who's not a boardsie) is trying to register at the moment for the B.Mus (which has the same registration process as Joint Arts) and is having problems with it.

With B/Mus., he does 30 credits of Music, 20 of another subject, and an elective. The problem is, the subject he wants to choose isn't coming up.

When he looks at the list of 2012/2013 modules on the website, it has a list of Available Subjects/Streams, which includes Spanish, which he wanted to do. But when he goes to register, Spanish isn't coming up as an option (even though from looking at the elective registration, it's not at all full).

He rang the Student Desk and the guy told him to pick it as four electives instead - which, as we've just learned, isn't actually possible.
    Now Student Desk aren't answering their phones (it's lunchtime) and he doesn't know what to do. His second choice (French) isn't coming up either, even though it's on the Available list on the website.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but does anyone know what he can do/who to contact?

(Btw, sorry if my post is confusing, I'm not a UCD student myself :o)

• Advertisement

DN500 or DN517?
    If its the second he should be taking 55 credits in Music, not 30

Maldesu wrote: »
    DN500 or DN517?
    If its the second he should be taking 55 credits in Music, not 30

DN517, but he has to take another subject in first year, there are only 30 credits of Music available! (or 35 if he takes an Elective in Music).

EDIT: Student Desk told him that the subjects that aren't coming up must be already full (bit crap for him because he logged in at 8:05 yesterday and got given the 12:30 slot today - and logged straight in at 12:30.)

DN517, but he has to take another subject in first year, there are only 30 credits of Music available! (or 35 if he takes an Elective in Music).

I am wondering about this cos when I to the degree code it does say 55 Credits and 5 electives.
    I'm looking hereand its suggesting 4 modules which are core and 7 option modules.
    But, since I've no experience of the program I not sure of the process. If you are supposed to take another subject along with it, and its not showing up, you'll have to continue to harass the student desk.

Also, is ANY other subject showing up in the subject stream?

I am wondering about this cos when I to the degree code it does say 55 Credits and 5 electives.
    I'm looking hereand its suggesting 4 modules which are core and 7 option modules.
    But, since I've no experience of the program I not sure of the process. If you are supposed to take another subject along with it, and its not showing up, you'll have to continue to harass the student desk.

Also, is ANY other subject showing up in the subject stream?

In 2nd and 3rd year, it's 55, but this year it's only 30.
    On that link - you only take 2 options (and they repeat each term). All but one of these are showing up "Full" and he can't pick the same one (the only one available!) for both terms. We've already rang the music office about it and she's going to get back to us.

Yes, 5 groups of subjects/streams are showing up but there are subjects missing from all of them.

He took Italian instead but it's got only 3 modules. It's just a total mess for him, he's 10 credits short but literally can't choose anything else!
    Anyway, I guess there're nothing anyone can do. He's going to go out there tomorrow and try to sort it. Such a nightmare for him. Thanks for your replies :)

Hopefully the Music office can do something. You could try the program office too and see if they can put him on a waiting list for the modules in case of changes or dropouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Paula95

Does anybody know who i can call to help me register these modules, i need a step by step guide because i dont understand it all ? :(

Ineed a step by step guide for registering theses modules because i dont understand it :( who can i call?

Did you look at any of the videos?
    http://www.ucd.ie/students/regvideo.html

Thanks. On my cao application i chose irish and geography, but now i realise i cant do the core module for irish because i didnt get a high enough grade, does this mean i cant do irish? :/

Best talking to the program office about that. I don't know how tight they would be on the regs and it might be dependent on how close you were.
    http://www.ucd.ie/icsifl/contact.htm

• Advertisement

French isnt appearing in group F for me on my subject stream (im not pre registered for it) does that mean that it is already filled up?

Potentially or it could be that you don't have the LC grade to get admitted - which is a C Honours.

Potentially or it could be that you don't have the LC grade to get admitted - which is a C Honours.

No, I have a HB3. Is there anyone I could ring at this time to see what the story is?

Program office or the School of Irish
    http://www.ucd.ie/icsifl/contact.htm

No one is answering there. How long do I have to register?

Try the school tomorrow morning. You've plenty of time to register yet.

Try the school tomorrow morning. You've plenty of time to register yet.

Yeah, think I will. Thanks a million :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Derpson

I'm doing Linguistics, and I'm stuck between choosing Sounds in Languages and Introduction to Linguistics. I can't do both, because they clash with each other.
    Sounds in Languages was pre-selected for me, which makes me think it's probably quite important, but Intro to Linguistics seems like it would be good for getting a general overview of the subject, and it seems to go over some of the topics covered in Sounds in Languages (although less intensively, obviously). It also mentions semantics, which is something I think I'd really enjoy.
    So yeah, I'm really not sure which I should pick. Assuming I intend to continue with Linguistics next year, does anyone have any advice for me?

Oh, and @KatiexKOUTURE--, French wasn't appearing for me, either, and I had been planning on doing it. I assume it's probably full - it's a popular subject, after all. :( I decided to take up Italian instead.
    On that note, I'm planning on doing three languages: Non-beginners' German, beginners' Italian, and beginners' Ancient Greek. I really enjoy languages and generally don't find them too difficult, but I was wondering if three languages might be too much of a workload for me? Anyone have any experience there?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 literatefarmer

French or English didn't appear for me today, was bitterly disappointed because I was hoping to do a fourth subject, now it's just History, Irish and German

• Advertisement

Derpson wrote: »
    So yeah, I'm really not sure which I should pick. Assuming I intend to continue with Linguistics next year, does anyone have any advice for me?

By the looks of things there are no core subjects in Linguistics so you can drop it if you want, but you need to pass two modules if you want to continue to the next year. It is recommended that you take 'Words and Sentences' or you may have problems selecting modules in the following year.
    French or English didn't appear for me today, was bitterly disappointed because I was hoping to do a fourth subject, now it's just History, Irish and German

I don't know about French, but unless you selected English via the CAO, you have little chance of getting a place. It is highly demanded.

Advertisement