Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the requirement to get into higher level subjects in second year?

Options
  • 24-08-2012 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I got 55% in Irish, 56% in Maths and 92% in English and I'd like to know what's the minimum percentage you need on the first year summer tests to get into higher level in second year? Are my marks high enough? Can I request to be moved into higher level?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

My school says anyone with 60% or over is able for higher level, but if your parents ask you can be put in higher level if you feel it would be more beneficial for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

xKayoni wrote: »
    I got 55% in Irish, 56% in Maths and 92% in English and I'd like to know what's the minimum percentage you need on the first year summer tests to get into higher level in second year? Are my marks high enough? Can I request to be moved into higher level?

Thanks.
    To be honest, it's really you're decision if you want to do Higher Level. In my school we don't sort it out based on exam results. My teachers think it's the people who work hard and put in an effort that deserve to be in Higher Level, so if you want to be in Higher Level, put in the effort. I'm in all honours and it's not because I get 100%'s in every test, but because I work at my subjects! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Different schools have different criteria, but you should try and stick at Higher Level in as many subjects as you can.

When it comes to LC, some OL subjects have much the same material on the course as HL JC, so if you do HL at JC, even if you do not do very well, you will have most of the LC course covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Kmgirl

In general it's an A,B or C. However, you are allowed request to do higher level. My friend and I didn't get the minimum grade in English to get in to honours but we requested to do it and we got on fine.

Advertisement