Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you an animal lover?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Definitely an animal lover. I detest animal cruelty and get really upset watching ads for animal charities with abandoned and mistreated pets. I would live a happier life without humans, than I would without animals.

For all the cat haters - cats are extremely affectionate, but as with people you have to earn it. A dog will greet and stay loyal to an uncaring owner, whereas a cat will do it's best to find alternative accomodation. Cats are more like humans than dogs, so it's probably a dog's unconditional devotion that appeals to humans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I like animals, but I would not go OTT, I hunt too and that poses not diffculities for me. I currently have a bearded dragon at the moment, but if I have the space I would like a bigger lizard like a tegu. There is one for sale in the pet shop at the moment, I would love to take it home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

In general, I like animals, especially pets. Though, I'm thoroughly afraid of spiders and all types of insects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Got 2 Degus, 2 Dwarf hamsters and a Syrian hamster.

The Degus are great pets, the Syrian Hamster is a strange fella but he's a smart little fùcker, and the dwarf hamsters don't seem to give a shìt about us at all.............they just want to be on their wheel all day.

Will be soon getting a puppy but the GF is trying to persuade me to get a kitten as well so they'll grow up together.

If the GF see a spider she wants me to kill it but I just pick them up and let them loose outside, my good deed for the day..............before he crawls back in later that night, goes down my mouth and lays some eggs in my throat :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

I would definitely be classed as an animal lover. Have rescued some pets and love cats. I hate the way some people have such a negative view on cats. They see them as selfish and totally independent. Well, I have had the pleasure of owning 2 cats and the affection and love they have shown me is second to none. Cats all have their own unique personality, they are not as trusting as dogs and that trust needs to be earned, but once it is earned, what a bond to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

I love animals but I couldnt eat a whole one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

animals are great they really relax you if you have come home and there is always someone there to greet you no matter what way youre looking or feeling they never chastise you or argue with you or ask you for favours just a little bit of cat/dog food 20 E a week it costs and its worth it for what you get back off them lovely fluff big doey eyes and lots of cuddles..there the best!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

I love all, all the obvious ones, and even insects, spiders etc. I think they are amazing and love learning about them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

I usually like animals. Have a cat and dog I love except for today. I could have killed the cat.
    Had the bedroom window open last night and the cat jumps in with cow sh!t all over his paws. Walked all over me during the night with his sh!ty paws.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭HemlockOption

Lots of people seem to hate cats. I had no time for them myself until we adopted one whose owner died.
    Now I think this cat is the most fascinating creature ! She is pure black with magnificent green/yellow eyes. Useful too - just after she moved in - she caught two mice - and we haven't had any since. Also there seems to be a lot less spiders around....

thats strange hardluckwoman,a cat with sh!tty paws ,usually would never happen as cats are cleaner than dogs(and cheaper 5 a week),they always clean their paws after toileting and never paw their ****,they will only paw the grass to cover over the sh!t after diggin a hole first to plonk one in..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

thats strange hardluckwoman,a cat with sh!tty paws ,usually would never happen as cats are cleaner than dogs(and cheaper 5 a week),they always clean their paws after toileting and never paw their ****,they will only paw the grass to cover over the sh!t after diggin a hole first to plonk one in..

It wasn't his own crap. He walked through cow sh!t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Why all the hate for cats and pigeons? They're both lovely. Pigeons don't carry diseases the way people seem to assume they do. Cats can be friendly and it's down to the individual cat. Like people, some are just arseholes.

People need to spend more time looking at all the other living things around them and worry less about their human BS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Love my dog, Lenny.. he's a cross between a JRT and Daschund.We were out for walk earlier and he had a slash on every lamp post we passed.

In fact he was so happy slashin' away I was tempted to have one myself on a few lamp posts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56sZOUPegUw I also like this animal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭HereticPrincess

I love animals, it would be a dream job of mine to work with them. As I type, one of my cats is sleeping in my lap, and the other is on the chair next to me.

Cats are awesome. Very fond of dogs & lizards too, I'd have time for any animal. I'd take in any any and all of them if my boyfriend didn't remind me that we don't have the space :)

It wasn't his own crap. He walked through cow sh!t.

Well, when your only cleaning tool is your mouth...

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

I love animals, it would be a dream job of mine to work with them. As I type, one of my cats is sleeping in my lap, and the other is on the chair next to me.

Cats are awesome. Very fond of dogs & lizards too, I'd have time for any animal. I'd take in any any and all of them if my boyfriend didn't remind me that we don't have the space :)
    If you love animals then don't work with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

Well I hope to become a vet so NO I DESPISE ANIMALS :P

Have to agree with this. I'm always amazed that our cat never has even a hint of a smell from her even though she's outdoors a lot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

I worked in Pest Control, (Rentokil for 6 years and 2 years with Terminix) trapping feral cats (which were then put down by a vet), exterminating rodents, pigeons, and other pests. The job dehumanises you after a few months, but I left that line of work in 1997. Yet, even then, I could never abide downright cruelty to animals, or their mistreatment.

When I hear stories about horses and donkeys being mistreated, it upsets me greatly. I hate Halloween, because the scum usually rises to the surface at that time of year, and you hear horror stories about cats, kittens, dogs and puppies, being thrown into bonfires, or doused in petrol and being set alight.

There was a story in the news about a year ago about a young dog being doused in petrol in Finglas, and set alight by laughing teenagers. A workman had to put the poor screeching animal out of its misery by killing it with a shovel, as the lowlife that set it alight stood there roaring with laughter. That image saddened and depressed me for a fortnight.

If I had witnessed that in person, I would not have been able to contain my anger, and would have gladly strangled every one of the little bastards with my bare hands. :mad:

marcsignal wrote: »
    I worked in Pest Control, (Rentokil for 6 years and 2 years with Terminix) trapping feral cats (which were then put down by a vet), exterminating rodent's, pigeons, and other pests. The job dehumanises you after a few months, but I left that line of work in 1997. Yet, even then, I could never abide downright cruelty to animals, or their mistreatment.

When I hear stories about horses and donkeys being mistreated, it upsets me greatly. I hate Halloween, because the scum usually rises to the surface at that time of year, and you hear horror stories about cats, kittens, dogs and puppies, being thrown into bonfires, or doused in petrol and being set alight.

There was a story in the news about a year ago about a young dog being doused in petrol in Finglas, and set alight by laughing teenagers. A workman had to put the poor screeching animal out of its misery by killing it with a shovel, as the lowlife that set it alight stood there roaring with laughter. That image saddened and depressed me for a fortnight.

If I had witnessed that in person, I would not have been able to contain my anger, and would have gladly strangled every one of the little bastards with my bare hands. :mad:

Why oh why oh why do people(?) commit these crimes against such vulnerable creatures ?

Just reading this post has made me upset :(

Why oh why oh why do people(?) commit these crimes against such vulnerable creatures ?

Just reminding myself of it has too, HemlockOption.

I was going to go for a pint at 22:00hr, but I think I'll stay in now...:(

Have to agree with this. I'm always amazed that our cat never has even a hint of a smell from her even though she's outdoors a lot

ive often seen my cat shrivell up his nose if he gets anything on his lovely little fur coat,cats are exceptionally clean animals you never have to do much fretting or worrying about them like you would a dog..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Daniel S wrote: »
    Love dogs (big dogs in particular, e.g. Lab/Golden retriever and bigger), sloths, horses and dolphins. Pretty much anything that has some form of loyalty or appears to have some
    Why is subservience the most attractive trait people desire in animals? I can see why that is important in working animals, but pets? Not sure how that makes you an animal lover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I love animals. I'm wary of cats but really love dogs. I have wanted my own dog for years but due to my current work hours and living arrangements, it really wouldn't be fair on the dog. I took a trip to an ISPCA shelter one day and fell in love with about 8 different puppies which left me "dog broody" for a few days!

My parents' west highland terrier is 14 now (had him since I was 13) and is really aging badly. I'd be surprised if he lasted another year tbh. The thought of one day walking in the front door of my parents' house and not hearing his paws manically scratching the floor as he pounces on me really tears me up :(

marcsignal wrote: »
    Just reminding myself of it has too, HemlockOption.

I was going to go for a pint at 22:00hr, but I think I'll stay in now...:(

Well, maybe you should go after all - take your mind off it. I'm not going out but I'm going to have a huge glass of wine and be extra nice to my cat :o

Tomorrow I'm going to make a donation to the ISPCA.

So - your post has raised awareness, got my cat an extra hug, and a donation to an animal charity. Well done!! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭billyhead

Probaly because there junkie low life knackers who are off their head on drink and drugs. The same should be done to them if they do such vile acts to animals. Myself I love all animals especially dogs and horses. However I always feel uneasy around cats. Just think there very sneaky and their up to something. Maybe I am just a bit paranoid:)

no when cats stare its because they lose focus and are daydreaming i know this as i have been around cats most of my life,i dont think they are sneaky dogs want food too dont they,just like any animal!they have very little ulterior motives going on in their small headed brains they only want a cuddle and a bit of food,and have very few demands and are always happy to see you!there just the best..

billyhead wrote: »
    Probaly because there junkie low life knackers who are off their head on drink and drugs. The same should be done to them if they do such vile acts to animals.

You're reading my diary billyhead, my sentiments exactly.

• Advertisement

no when cats stare its because they lose focus and are daydreaming i know this as i have been around cats most of my life,i dont think they are sneaky dogs want food too dont they,just like any animal!they have very little ulterior motives going on in their small headed brains they only want a cuddle and a bit of food,and have very few demands and are always happy to see you!there just the best..

our cat sits in front of me and stares at me when she wants food - took me a while to realise what she wanted. I suppose because they can't actually ask to be fed - they have to use some other way to get our attention :)

I used to think it was weird - but now I know it's just one of the ways she communicates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

our cat sits in front of me and stares at me when she wants food - took me a while to realise what she wanted. I suppose because they can't actually ask to be fed - they have to use some other way to get our attention :)

I used to think it was weird - but now I know it's just one of the ways she communicates

Oh yeah, my cat starts with the stares. They when I don't respond fast enough he moves onto yowling until I get up and feed him. Little fecker (my honey!!!!!) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

You're lucky, you've got a quiet one. My guy roars the house down meowing when he's hungry. :D

i know cats are not known for being affectionate but about once a month or so - our cat jumps up onto my lap and settles down for a while and i think Christmas has come early :D

sometimes ya i do find that they are hungry when they stare or start yowling or meowing loudly,othertimes its bc they are day dreaming they just zone out and stare into space,some people get creeped out by it,but its nothing really to worry about,but notice if you click your fingers you see them coming around and their eyes instantly look more alert..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I do tend to give animals the benefit of the doubt i.e. harmless until proven dangerous. I've worked with horses, sheep, cattle, snakes, spiders, and more - but the most serious injury I've ever received from an animal was from a rooster, who dug a spur deep in to my arm when I was about 10. :eek:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

sometimes ya i do find that they are hungry when they stare or start yowling or meowing loudly,othertimes its bc they are day dreaming they just zone out and stare into space,some people get creeped out by it,but its nothing really to worry about,but notice if you click your fingers you see them coming around and their eyes instantly look more alert..

wonder what cats daydream about.....:cool:

catnip..id say

catnip..id say

.......souped-up broomstick

• Advertisement

ever see those cat treats dreamz.. they sell them in the supermarkets like super quinn and tescos they are crunchies laced with cat nip my cat goes all dreamy for them and meows like mad and gets really excited when i get them..

ever see those cat treats dreamz.. they sell them in the supermarkets like super quinn and tescos they are crunchies laced with cat nip my cat goes all dreamy for them and meows like mad and gets really excited when i get them..

What exactly is cat nip? I've heard that cats love it but I've never seen it anywhere

bnt wrote: »
    I do tend to give animals the benefit of the doubt i.e. harmless until proven dangerous. I've worked with horses, sheep, cattle, snakes, spiders, and more - but the most serious injury I've ever received from an animal was from a rooster, who dug a spur deep in to my arm when I was about 10. :eek:

Roosters can do some damage. I had to have one of mine put down when he started to get a bit aggressive towards people. He respected me but he was a mutant of a thing and if he had decided to attack someone he could have done some serious damage.

The trick is to make it known that you're higher in the order then they are and never turn your back on a challenge. Even then, some of them are just too mental.

cat nip is like alcohol to a cat harmless but great entertianment for you and your cat you should ask about it in pet shops and supermarkets if they stock it,and its not that expensive its a little treat every once in a while think of it like a bag of crisps or some baileys..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Yes catnip, a legal high for felines. They actually do go crazy for it, I've experimented it with my pair in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Or valerian. It's a homeopathic remedy you get in chemists and stuff for insomnia. And few drops of it on your cat's favourite toy and he'll spend twenty minutes rolling around with his eyes back in his head. They love it (and it's totally harmless to them). Has the same effect as catnip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I love animals! Prefer the company of animals sometimes to humans, I guess it's something to do with the fact that animals can't talk b*ll**** :p My favourites are horses and dogs but like most others :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Awww they are what I miss about Florida the most :( My sister accidentally stood on one once and I nearly killed her :o They're so small and cute and misunderstood. I saw a few kids going around and torturing them and standing on them when I was over there. I went over and told their parents and they were punished by not being allowed to go to disneyland that day. Bit harsh but they deserved it :D

Oh god thats horrible :eek:
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/836/40975334874193153264439.jpg/

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/album.php?albumid=2149&pictureid=13839

Caught him yesterday! I absolutely love them! Hes so tiny :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭gara

I am never happier than when I am around dogs and horses :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

Dean09 wrote: »

I wouldn't say I'm a crazy animal lover

Not a big fan of pigeons though.

I don't like cats either.

Seals are cool.

You dont say???

Im a mad animal lover no matter what animal it is. love them all. im one of those people who will end up collecting cats after her husband dies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

are they??? my cat never had that reaction to them. or maybe my guy gets so any treats he doesnt know which is which :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement