Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how do i convert to digital??

Options
  • 24-08-2012 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭

hi,

i was helping me parents do some spring cleaning over the last few weeks
    we found a lot of old VHS, minidisk, super 8's, video cassette's, photo negatives and we decided to convert these to digital and DVD before they deteriorate any further

so i was hoping that ye guys could advise me on what machines will allow me to do this and what kind of standard they will produce

i wouldn't have any knowledge on this area so any assistance would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Iomega Man

Hi Gambit,

The easiest/cheapest DIY route would be:

Video tapes: You could use something like a Dazzle which connects your video player to your PC.
    Just make sure your players heads are good and clean.
    Plenty for sale on Adverts.ie

http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/q_dazzle/

Mini disc: Use a 3.5mm-3.5mm stereo jack lead and connect it between your headphone socket on the MD and the line in on your PC.
    You will have to constantly check the levels out from the MD.

Hope this helps.

IM

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭gambit83

Thanks Iomega Man, i'll do that

do you have any advise for the photo negatives, we have a lot of photos gathered up over the years??

Haven't used one of these but I'd say its worth a shot assuming that the negatives are 35mm.

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&searchTerms=negative&authToken=

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭gambit83

thanks Iomega Man

No problem at all.
    Let me know how you get on.

IM

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭NealB

Get a player that works with your tapes and link that to a standard DVD recorder and record directly to DVD. If you want it as a digital file use handbrake or similar software to extract off the DVD. Mpeg Streamclip can transcode it what ever format you want.

Advertisement