Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Work clothes

• 24-08-2012 2:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I work in an admin office and while it isn't very strict as regards wearing formal clothes I suppose you are still expected to wear a black/grey pants and a shirt/jumper

Anyway, my mum is always telling me that I should just wear cheap clothes/old clothes that I don't wear everyday anymore for work but I want to look well at work too and want clothes to last long!

I'm on hols at the mo and not going away so at home at the mo clearing out my wardrobe and the number of pennys jumpers I have that have shrunk or are just generally bad quality is not funny!

Just want to know what others wear for work? Do ye buy stuff in Next/H&M (which I like even though they are a bit more expensive) or do you just wear a black pants from Pennys and any old top?

I figure I spend a lot of time in work so I want to feel good in what I wear!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Shinato

In the Pharmacy where I work, it generally varies on age group.

18-20= Playsuits and dresses with cardigans/blazers
    20-30= Jumper w/ trousers and sometimes Blazers. Also skirts too. (Bold colours)
    30+ = Nice top w/ trousers and blazers (big prints/floral)

And honestly, we all talk about our latest haul from Pennys or during Awear sales (I personally flock to them)

Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Shinato wrote: »
    In the Pharmacy where I work, it generally varies on age group.

18-20= Playsuits and dresses with cardigans/blazers
    20-30= Jumper w/ trousers and sometimes Blazers. Also skirts too. (Bold colours)
    30+ = Nice top w/ trousers and blazers (big prints/floral)

And honestly, we all talk about our latest haul from Pennys or during Awear sales (I personally flock to them)

Hope this helps :)

Thanks for your response - I guess I know really what I should wear but just wondering am I mad to buy stuff from Next? I really love their stuff but don't know should I just be shopping in Penneys for work clothes cos Next are a bit more expensive!

I have a pile of clothes here that I'm getting rid of - my mum will likely have a heart attack when she sees them and try to talk me out of it! :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Shinato

leahyl wrote: »
    Thanks for your response - I guess I know really what I should wear but just wondering am I mad to buy stuff from Next? I really love their stuff but don't know should I just be shopping in Penneys for work clothes cos Next are a bit more expensive!

I have a pile of clothes here that I'm getting rid of - my mum will likely have a heart attack when she sees them and try to talk me out of it! :-P

Well I think that we all deserve abit of a treat here and there. In all fairness though, the sales should be coming in now to get rid of the summer collection. I'd try and clean up in the sales. However, if you find a nice top and €30 and think that you'll get €30 worth out of it, then might aswell do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I buy a lot of my workwear in Next. I know that it can be dearer than Pennys etc but I find they wash well and really last.
    I often pick bits up in Sales. Dorothy Perkins and Wallis are often worth a look. Debenhams often have great things in Sales.

TK maxx is good as well.

Shinato wrote: »
    leahyl wrote: »

Well I think that we all deserve abit of a treat here and there. In all fairness though, the sales should be coming in now to get rid of the summer collection. I'd try and clean up in the sales. However, if you find a nice top and €30 and think that you'll get €30 worth out of it, then might aswell do it.

Thanks a mil! I find Next to be a good fit whereas to be honest Penneys don't last you any length of time I find and are a bad fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I buy a lot of work wear in the Next sales and also in TK Maxx. In my case, being well presented is important at work, so I do invest money in my work clothes.

To be honest, I also spend 12+ hours a day in my work clothes, so they have to be comfortable & durable as well as looking good. I would say that in an average wear I wear work clothes more than 80% of the time, so I actually invest a lot into my work wardrobe.

dudara wrote: »
    I buy a lot of work wear in the Next sales and also in TK Maxx. In my case, being well presented is important at work, so I do invest money in my work clothes.

To be honest, I also spend 12+ hours a day in my work clothes, so they have to be comfortable & durable as well as looking good. I would say that in an average wear I wear work clothes more than 80% of the time, so I actually invest a lot into my work wardrobe.

Thanks Dudara - ordinarily I would wait for the sales but I kinda need stuff now so gonna do a bit of online shopping with Next tonight I think cos I've just put half my work wardrobe in black bags :-O :-D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I think you can get a €15 off voucher for Next online if you sign up in-store.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

ya next is a good place to go for work attire or dorothy perkins,they have the basics which is what you will need like: cardigans,sweaters,trousers and shirts,maybe the odd pair of dark indigo jeans with a black shirt etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭saltyporridge

I like Dorothy Perkins too. I know it's not good for jobs, etc. but I've always found the prices are much cheaper ordering from their website instead of buying instore. They email discount codes fairly regularly so I buy in bulk then.

• Advertisement
Advertisement