Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shooting at Empire State Building

• 24-08-2012 2:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭

Another shooting reported in NYC outside the Empire State building.
    Police are on the scene of a shooting at the Empire State Building this morning.

Details are limited but NY1 is hearing multiple shots rang out just before 9 a.m. and that two people have been wounded.

Due to the investigation, 34th Street and Fifth Avenue are closed in the immediate area.

NY1 has a crew headed to the scene and will have more information as it becomes available.

Source.

Reports on Twitter that 7 people have been shot including the perpetrator.

Tis all gone a bit mad over there.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Fire officials report that several people have been shot near the Empire State building in New York.
    Source - Breakingnews.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

@NYC911 via Twitter
    MANHATTAN: E34 X 5TH AVE, MULTIPLE CIVILIANS SHOT, PERP HAS BEEN SHOT DOA BY POLICE. 9:21:50 AM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

9/11 fast approaching, America will be on high alert. Hope no one was killed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭Prettyfireworks

8 shot, two killed including the shooter according to Spin 103.8 news

This is the latest:

Several people have been shot outside New York’s Empire State Building.

City police said three or four civilians were wounded in this morning’s shooting and that the gunman is dead.

A fire department spokesman said it received a call about the shooting just after 9am local time (2pm Irish Time) and that emergency units were on the scene within minutes.

The spokesman had no information about how many people were wounded or their conditions.

The shooting occurred at 34th Street and Fifth Avenue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

I find the cluster of shooting incidents recently in the States very, very bizarre.What is going on over there - it's like once a week now nearly.

RTE.ie are reporting 2 killed, 8 or more injured...:eek:

it happened on 34th Street (as in Miracle on 34th Street film??)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

I find the cluster of shooting incidents recently in the States very, very bizarre.What is going on over there - it's like once a week now nearly.

Not really, just more seem to be getting reported on lately. US is and has been one of the top countries for firearm related crime/deaths for many years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Jayus, I saw a bit of a clusterfuck with police this morning when walking to work but didn't for a second think it was another shooting :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Threads merged.

Update via Twitter.
    NY Scanner ‏@NYScanner
    U/D Manhattan: 5 Ave & East 34 St/Empire State Bldg Report that Perp was fired from his job came back and started shooting 10 Victims 2 DOA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Pics of a dead man already up on twitter :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭MHalberstram

It's as American as Apple Pie.

Get fired. Return fire.

What a fcuked up country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Was just reading about the following too

http://www.thejournal.ie/19-shot-in-overnight-violence-in-chicago-571449-Aug2012/
    19 people were shot and wounded in an outbreak of violence in Chicago overnight.

According to the Associated Press 13 people including young teenagers were injured in one 30 minute spate of shooting, with eight gunned down on a single street.

Nuts

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Watching now on fox news, they say a nypd and mayor press conference will commence shortly, more to follow............

Floods of cameras and press running to the scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

The Empire strikes back...

Floods of cameras and press running to the scene.

I didn't think cameras and presses could run

ya, I know, I'll get my coat. :o

Suspect was a middle aged well dressed white man says 1 eye witnesss, more to follow...............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

People get shot every day in neywork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Suspect was a middle aged well dressed white man says 1 eye witnesss, more to follow...............

They can hardly trust the reports of a man with one eye........

On a serious note.....crazy stuff altogether. I wonder what the motivation was, or was it just some nutter.

Seaneh wrote: »
    People get shot every day in neywork.

wow does everyone have a gun accessory or what?

Dean09 wrote: »
    They can hardly trust the reports of a man with one eye........

:o:o:o

stop, or we will be slaughter for not being serious

Gentleman in question was fired from his job yesterday and came back to his job today loaded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

How long before people say police brutality for shooting the gunman...

They clearly should have used martial arts and a arm lock to disarm him.

:pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This wouldn't have happened if everyone in New York was armed you know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

garv123 wrote: »
    How long before people say police brutality for shooting the gunman...

They clearly should have used martial arts and a arm lock to disarm him.

:pac::pac:

No they should've use their expert marksmanship skills to shoot the gun out of his hand and then tickled him into the back of the squad car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Gentleman in question was fired from his job yesterday and came back to his job today loaded.

Confirmed by the FBI.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

What was his job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Newscopter? I prefer the Babelcopter myself.

So did those bi-planes get that gorilla?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

What was his job?

Not shooting people, was doing well until today, but what with the recession and all.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Turns out I was less than ten minutes away from this when it happened. Crazy.

New York is a bit mental right now, still a fair few sirens going off and a lot of police out on the streets. Everyone is a little uptight and antsy.

• Advertisement

Gridlock all around New York city as police have closed off a few blocks around the empire state building.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

wow does everyone have a gun accessory or what?

in a city of 18million people with hundreds of thousands living in housing projects (basically"the ghetto") with a massive problem with drug and gun crime, people get shot. lots.

Some pics on Reddit not for the faint of heart, I'm all for citizen journalism but seriously taking pics of people lying on the ground after being shot is terribly distasteful.

The suspect killed his former boss, this is now confirmed.

Gridlock all around New York city as police have closed off a few blocks around the empire state building.

Are you there JONJO?
    Is today not collection day in Galway?

• Advertisement

Haven Imports is the name of the company and it makes lady handbags, the suspect was a designer and the man who he killed is the manager, more to follow...........

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Confirmed by the FBI.

what do you mean "loaded" - was he drunk? :eek:

ABC reporting that the guy worked in the Empire State Building, rumours on reddit say as a ticket vendor, fired yesterday and went back to confront his manager, was turned away by security, waited outside for the manager walked up to the manager and shot him in the head, there is a picture of a man on the ground floating around, who appears to be dead. I hope his poor family don't ever see it.

Lone foot patrol NYPD officer, who was patrolling the area shot the perpetrator with 1 shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Someone, somewhere right now is feverishly creating a Conspiracy theory about this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

al28283 wrote: »
    Someone, somewhere right now is feverishly creating a Conspiracy theory about this.

Run to da hills will be along any minute now.

Haven Imports is the name of the company and it makes lady handbags, the suspect was a designer and the man who he killed is the manager, more to follow...........

Nice work Jonjo, you had better info than ABC, now where did you get that from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Reading about reports that the police officer in the shoot out could have shot innocent bystanders also. Presumably accidental, of course.

Fart wrote: »
    Reading about reports that the police officer in the shoot out could have shot innocent bystanders also. Presumably accidental, of course.

Obviously a very busy area so its very possible, fair play to the construction worker who followed the shooter and told the police officers who were there.

Fart wrote: »

are you serious?

are they not trained to shoot just the one person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

There where shootings at a Celine Dion concert when I was in Vegas years ago so this kind of stuff is happening all the time I'd say we only see the tip of the ice burg. We were told then the local cops tactic was to sit back and let them shoot each other and go in an clean up the mess when they run out of ammo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement