Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shooting at Empire State Building

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

ScumLord wrote: »
    There where shootings at a Celine Dion concert when I was in Vegas years ago

Swedish house mafia pussies with their puny knives.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭stevedublin

ScumLord wrote: »
    There where shootings at a Celine Dion concert....

Are you sure it wasn't a Megadeath concert?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Are you sure it wasn't a Megadeath concert?
    No, Celine Dion. Makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

When I first heard this on the radio at around 3pm, I loved the way they said that they didn't think it was terrorist related.

Why do they insist of always saying things like that now in the US?

I mean, I think there are usually 10,000+ gun deaths annually in the US, most committed by criminals or nut cases. The chances of them being committed as an act of terrorism is incredibly low.

I just think they love mentioning 'terrorist', 'war on terror' and all related terms, just to keep it in the news and justify their spending on fighting it.

If they had said that 200 were shot outside the Empire State, I might have thought 'terrorist?', but when I heard 2, my immediate thought was 'another nut job gone mental'.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

are you serious?

are they not trained to shoot just the one person.

Firefights tend to have a lot more rounds miss the target than hit. Those rounds have to go somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Its interesting how the main stream media have hyped this incident as the as the 'Empire State Building shooter" as if it were comparable to some degree to previous recent mass shoot outs when in fact the intended target for this individual was more than likely just one person, ie his ex employer.

Most of the wounded suspects seem to have resulted from crossfire of police fire intended for Johnson, with potentially all of the injuries reportedly as a result of the police fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Its interesting how the main stream media have hyped this incident as the as the 'Empire State Building shooter" as if it were comparable to some degree to previous recent mass shoot outs when in fact the intended target for this individual was more than likely just one person, ie his ex employer.

Most of the wounded suspects seem to have resulted from crossfire of police fire intended for Johnson, with potentially all of the injuries reportedly as a result of the police fire.

Has it been linked to Obama yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I heard that the guy that did it wasn't the guy that they said did it but rather another guy that they paid to do it and then they gave him plastic surgery to make him look like the guy that they were saying was the guy that did it and the people shot weren't actually shot at all cause if you look at the records on the internet none of these people exist at all and they're just actors that have been paid by the CIA or the FBI or something to make it look like the whole thing happened but really it's all just a ploy by George Bush or Obama or Mitt Romney or someone (haven't decided yet) to control guns or to get rid of gun control or to convince everyone that we need more or less security measures (haven't decided yet) and the whole thing has been exposed by a guy on Youtube and I watched the video but then when I went to show my friend the video was GONE!

*deep breath*

And if that's not proof enough I don't know what is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Ah yeah....America.

• Advertisement

Guaranteed somewhere there's some nitwit that is saying that this would have been prevented if people had more guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Guaranteed somewhere there's some nitwit that is saying that this would have been prevented if people had more guns.

It's already popped up all over Twitter and FB comments, the domain of the damned.

MadsL wrote: »
    Has it been linked to Obama yet?

No doubt he will hijack the media publicity for his gun demonizing hype and come out with a statement. :)

Gun control is always a prelude to tyranny as we should have learned from our history books. Hitler, Stalin, Polpot all followed suit.

It's already popped up all over Twitter and FB comments, the domain of the damned.

And that's why I don't use Twitter or pay any attention to Facebook.

No doubt he will hijack the media publicity for his gun demonizing hype and come out with a statement. :)

Gun control is always a prelude to tyranny as we should have learned from our history books. Hitler, Stalin, Polpot all followed suit.

Ah, there we go. Well done. Even managed to slip in a Godwin. Good man.
    And when you say "gun demonising hype" I take it you mean Obama's policy of common sense control using the existing laws as spelled out here and the fact that the Obama Administration has loosened some gun controls, not tightened them.
    http://azstarnet.com/article_011e7118-8951-5206-a878-39bfbc9dc89d.html
    Now, like the majority of Americans, I believe that the Second Amendment guarantees an individual right to bear arms. And the courts have settled that as the law of the land. In this country, we have a strong tradition of gun ownership that's handed from generation to generation. Hunting and shooting are part of our national heritage. And, in fact, my administration has not curtailed the rights of gun owners - it has expanded them, including allowing people to carry their guns in national parks and wildlife refuges.

The fact is, almost all gun owners in America are highly responsible. They're our friends and neighbors. They buy their guns legally and use them safely, whether for hunting or target shooting, collection or protection. And that's something that gun-safety advocates need to accept. Likewise, advocates for gun owners should accept the awful reality that gun violence affects Americans everywhere, whether on the streets of Chicago or at a supermarket in Tucson.

I know that every time we try to talk about guns, it can reinforce stark divides. People shout at one another, which makes it impossible to listen. We mire ourselves in stalemate, which makes it impossible to get to where we need to go as a country.

However, I believe that if common sense prevails, we can get beyond wedge issues and stale political debates to find a sensible, intelligent way to make the United States of America a safer, stronger place.

I'm willing to bet that responsible, law-abiding gun owners agree that we should be able to keep an irresponsible, law-breaking few - dangerous criminals and fugitives, for example - from getting their hands on a gun in the first place.

Damn, Democrats supporting the second amendment. Who knew....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

awful how some disgruntled worker can just get a gun just like that and storm the workplace where he was fired only to fire back at the manager its a disgrace how easy it is for people to get guns,its not just the mentally insane,ANYBODY can have a bad day..

• Advertisement

MadsL wrote: »
    Ah, there we go. Well done. Even managed to slip in a Godwin. Good man.
    And when you say "gun demonising hype" I take it you mean Obama's policy of common sense control using the existing laws as spelled out here and the fact that the Obama Administration has loosened some gun controls, not tightened them.
    Gun amnesties and prohibition were a monumental failure in Australia Crime, burglaries and shootings in fact soared after guns were handed in despite promises. The same will happen in America, real criminals and nut cases will always find arms as they have been doing any country including Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

http://www.thejournal.ie/new-york-shooting-nine-injured-were-all-hit-by-police-fire-say-officials-572886-Aug2012/
    ALL NINE PEOPLE wounded in a New York shoot-out between a gunman who killed a former co-worker and officers who responded to the incident were hit by police fire, officials said today.

ALL NINE PEOPLE wounded in a New York shoot-out between a gunman who killed a former co-worker and officers who responded to the incident were hit by police fire, officials said today.
    So the authorities are the real trouble makers in America and not the licensed gun holders. :p

Gun amnesties and prohibition were a monumental failure in Australia Crime, burglaries and shootings in fact soared after guns were handed in despite promises. The same will happen in America, real criminals and nut cases will always find arms as they have been doing any country including Ireland.

...and what have "gun amnesties and prohibition" and Australia got to do with Obama? He hasn't proposed any gun amnesties or prohibition despite your claiming he indulges in "gun demonizing hype". In fact, could you post some of Obama's "gun demonizing hype", as I don't appear to have read any.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,341 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Hopefully no Gorillas's injured this time.

Edit:

Police managed to shoot 9 people (not fatally) before shooting the Gunman, wtf?

So the authorities are the real trouble makers in America and not the licensed gun holders. :p

What exactly are you meant to do in this situation, tickle him till he drops the gun?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

It still seems a bit mad that some cops were within 5 to ten feet and they managed to injure nine people around the area.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Biggins wrote: »
    It still seems a bit mad that some cops were within 5 to ten feet and they managed to injure nine people around the area.

There were lots of people around the area to hit. More shots missing than hitting is par for the course, even at close range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Jaysus how many bosses did I ever feel like shooting, coming to think about it,,,I should not be allowed a gun right now.

Advertisement