Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Doctors!!!

Options
  • 24-08-2012 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

Ok so most doctors are charging €60 for a consultation!!! Does anyone know of any reasonably priced Doctors? I am talking €20/€30 - I know, I am pushing it here!! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

They don't exist ... and if they did ... I would advise anyone to run fast in the opposite direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭sinead81

It just seems so overpriced, compared to our neighbours across the pond. You would think with the amount of taxes that we all pass over in our pay cheque each month that it would equate to some sort of free healthcare....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

You can get this guy for 20 euro:

DrNickSimpsons.png

But a real doctor?

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Glendambo

Primacare Clinics have a loyalty card thats get you a consultation for €40.

www.primacare.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Piliger wrote: »
    They don't exist ... and if they did ... I would advise anyone to run fast in the opposite direction.

They do exist. My doctor charges 50 euro for a consultation, but because I have a loyalty card I get a 20% discount so its 40 euro. However, if all that happens is I am asking for a repeat prescription or a referral letter or a follow up appointment then she only charges me 30 euro. Its primacare. I specifically moved to them because I felt I was being ripped off with my previous GP, and receiving bad service from the practice into the bargain.

• Advertisement

They do exist. My doctor charges 50 euro for a consultation, but because I have a loyalty card I get a 20% discount so its 40 euro. However, if all that happens is I am asking for a repeat prescription or a referral letter or a follow up appointment then she only charges me 30 euro. Its primacare. I specifically moved to them because I felt I was being ripped off with my previous GP, and receiving bad service from the practice into the bargain.

So that's 40 euro for a consultation?

Still not 20/30 euro.

wow thanks for the tip on primacare!!! Will check it out now!!

I guess €40 is better than your suggestion though!!

So that's 40 euro for a consultation?

Still not 20/30 euro.

Personally Ive not paid 40 euro yet, only 30.

I dont know what the OP wants to see the doctor for so cant make a prediction but for example, a consultation for a pill prescription has cost me 30 euro.

Personally Ive not paid 40 euro yet, only 30.

I dont know what the OP wants to see the doctor for so cant make a prediction but for example, a consultation for a pill prescription has cost me 30 euro.

Is that your initial consultation for the prescription? If so that's pretty good value.

I only get a 10% discount at my doctor but they only charge only 35 euro for a follow up appointment which is decent(ish).

My doctor also gives a sense of humour discount too which is great. Not sure if you'll get that OP.

• Advertisement

That's pretty good. I only get a 10% discount at my doctor but they only charge only 35 euro for a follow up appointment which is decent(ish).

My doctor also gives a sense of humour discount too which is great. Not sure if you'll get that OP.

Thats also good. I havent been properly sick, if you know what I mean, since I switched to primacare, only contraception and an ongoing sinus issue that required referral rather than treatment so I cant really comment on how they are for brand new consultations where they have to figure out whats wrong - mind you, in my previous GPs I used to mostly wander in having self diagnosed on google only to be confirmed and charged 60 quid for the pleasure!

Is that your initial consultation for the prescription? If so that's pretty good value.

Yeah I was expecting 40 and next time I mentioned it to her and she shrugged and said 'well you werent sick, it was only a prescription'. Im happy!

Edited to add, she took bp and asked a heap of questions (age, history, do I smoke etc...), gave a brief discussion on best choices for contraception and then wrote the prescription - so it was a genuine consultation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Glendambo

I've been going to primacare for a while now with some ongoing issues that required bloodtests.

The initial consultation with the loyalty card was €40, the bloodtests were €10 and the follow up with the doctor was €30. I've been back and forth with my doctor about this issue since June and apart from the initial €40 consultation, I have only been charged €30.

Edit: Actually I recently needed a referral letter for damage to my hand (I had originally gone to Swiftcare for xrays but it hadn't improved) and they charged me €20.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 pm1979

Out of interest how much do people think it is worth for a consultation?

I mean if your mate was a doctor and he/she saw you for 10-15 minutes and gave you a prescription, how much would you feel he/she deserved even if they insisted on not taking payment.
    5- 10? would that be an insult?

50 quid? would you still be friends after?

what do people expect to pay?

I heard there is a place in carlow opened up that is a hungarian doctor who offers 20 or 30 euro consultations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

GP Now's business model is great (though they are only in Sandyford and Swords).

As a family we pay €30 a month and can go as many times as we want. With 2 kids it really is worth it as they often get sick. That's a total of 4 of us going an unlimited amount of times a year for a total of €360.

For an individual it's €15 a month.

Over 55's at €10 a month (an absolute bargain).

It's the way of the future. I know loads of people that have joined with them. The days of paying a doctor €60 a visit are numbered.

http://www.gpnow.ie/

I'm not affiliated in any way.

Advertisement