Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upgrading my monitor.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

As a 5770 owner I can tell you it depends on what you play. With crysis say the '70 runs at 95% constantly, so going higher res would be a poor choice. TF2 on the other hand was ticking over at 35%(Clocked at 875 btw). Orcs must die two also left overhead.

So you could get away with it, again depending on your games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

What resolution do you have at the moment?
    I agree with ED E, the games you play are the biggest factor.

What do you want out of a new monitor? Would you consider quality over size - i.e., U2312HM.
    http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/monitors/20097160/dell_23_u2312hm_lcd_8ms_vga_dvi_d/details.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Marine, wasn't that little pc of yours a little powerhouse? I though you had better gpu in it!

I would agree with monotype there. 2312hm would be a lot better option. A lot cheaper too. Those are 189eu in komplett.ie very good quality monitor. I got 2 of them so far ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

my current monitor is a 22" 1920x1080, 2ms response time, so I don't think I can improve on that apart from going bigger.

Games that I would play, d3, sc2, new CS, and the new borderlands 2 when its released.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

my current monitor is a 22" 1920x1080, 2ms response time, so I don't think I can improve on that apart from going bigger.

Games that I would play, d3, sc2, new CS, and the new borderlands 2 when its released.

It's IPS panel m8. It's colours and quality is just way better then TN panels. You can go for 2412hm, which is bigger and 1920x1200 resolution.

Keep in mind that 27 inch 1080p will look worse. It's size will be bigger, but pixel number is the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

OK, well if your current monitor is 1920x1080, you will observe no difference in frames on your games. Choosing a bigger monitor won't make a difference if it's still at 1920x1080.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

ideally, its more for watching movies in bed than anything else :p

Consider a VESA mount. I have my 22" on a mount so I can pull it out a bit when I'm in bed. I end up about 5' away but its still very watchable. Obviously a bigger panel would help, but its not necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Beans on toast for a few days - or in your case a worm omelette (why did they think that was a good thing to put int the recruitment ads?) and a Yamakasi Catlep imo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Ah well that's a different story. Keep your current monitor and get a projector. 100 inch screen for the price of a 40 inch one. Have your PC, skybox, xbox, etc. all connected to it.

It's brilliant :)

• Advertisement

Kirby wrote: »
    Ah well that's a different story. Keep your current monitor and get a projector. 100 inch screen for the price of a 40 inch one. Have your PC, skybox, xbox, etc. all connected to it.

It's brilliant :)

That depends really, if its in his room a projector is usually gonna be OTT and ill fitted. Also, with heavy usage he wont get that long out the lamp(pretty much the cost of the whole unit to replace) where are a catleap could theoretically go for the next 5-8yrs no bother. And they're hot lil b@stards.

I love projectors(two in the house) but there's a time and a place(like split screen halo 3).

Advertisement