Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Martial arts in limerick

• 24-08-2012 3:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, is there anywhere in limerick that teaches bojitsu, or any similar that train with bo or staff? I'm learning staff performing and a lot of the techniques are martial art forms, so rather then being self professed, being trained in the MA would be a lot easier.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Are you talking about a staff that is six foot in length or a liitle longer or one that is maybe five foot or less?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Kess73 wrote: »
    Are you talking about a staff that is six foot in length or a liitle longer or one that is maybe five foot or less?

what Kess said...

I know a man who can help you once i have answers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

what Kess said...

I know a man who can help you once i have answers

About 5ft

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The Snipe wrote: »
    About 5ft

Mike Carroll could be the man to talk to. I'll let the drifter pass on the details to you. :)

About 5ft

Jojutsu is what you are after then, not Bojutsu.

Personally I would be very reluctant to encourage you to take up a martial art if all you are after is one aspect to it. As I have said before on here, I have over 20 years experience of practising Ishin Ryu Ju-Jitsu and I do have weapon training (mostly Kuboton and baton, but I have trained with Bo, Jo and yawara abroad) and I cannot stress enough that, in my opinion, one should be well versed in at least one form of unarmed martial art before even considering one that incorporates a weapon into it's training. I know if you walked into the dojo back home as a stranger and asked me or anyone else who was leading a class to show you how to use what is effectively a weapon, it would not happen.

If you want to learn basics on how to hold a staff and techniques on how to balance it and yourself, then Mike Carroll is a good shout if he is willing to just do basic staff training in terms of handling with you. Another local name who is good is Pat Forde of Munster Martial arts, but he may have a similar attitude to me on it.

The other two lads in the thread are practising under Mike afaik, so they will be able to speak to him for you and maybe come up with a none martial art solution for ya.

Might I ask what you are learning how to use a staff for? Not actual details, just if it is for stage performance or similar?

• Advertisement

I'd actually be interested in the unarmed too.

Its actually for firestaff performance.

I'd actually be interested in the unarmed too.

Its actually for firestaff performance.

You will be using a staff that is under 5 foot then if you are a newbie to it. A longer staff is for a more experienced practitioner be it in a martial art or a performance art like you are doing.

My advice to you is to forgoe any idea of martial art training as what you are looking at contains the extra risk that fire brings, and seek advice on getting training from a company like Galaxy Entertainment in Galway who provide professional fire staff performers for venues. They (or a similar company) should be able to point you in the right direction in terms of proper fire staff training. Would imagine that some of your I love Limerick pals would have a contact or two in the entertainment side of things that would know where to go.

Also you should make sure to do some regular exercise to build up your shoulders, chest, lower back, upper arms, forearms, wrists etc as working a staff takes more than just the time you have the staff in your hand (oooeeer matron) for your body to adjust.

And expect blisters (lots of them if you have soft skin on your hands):D

You will be using a staff that is under 5 foot then if you are a newbie to it. A longer staff is for a more experienced practitioner be it in a martial art or a performance art like you are doing.

My advice to you is to forgoe any idea of martial art training as what you are looking at contains the extra risk that fire brings, and seek advice on getting training from a company like Galaxy Entertainment in Galway who provide professional fire staff performers for venues. They (or a similar company) should be able to point you in the right direction in terms of proper fire staff training. Would imagine that some of your I love Limerick pals would have a contact or two in the entertainment side of things that would know where to go.

Also you should make sure to do some regular exercise to build up your shoulders, chest, lower back, upper arms, forearms, wrists etc as working a staff takes more than just the time you have the staff in your hand (oooeeer matron) for your body to adjust.

And expect blisters (lots of them if you have soft skin on your hands):D

I've contacts alright in Entertainment, and I know all the fire performers in LImerick (Alas only 1 person I know used to do staff and showed be a good bit!) And I'm quite proficcent with it, even while on fire, its just a matter of learning a few new forms so I can expand the routine beyond what I have at the moment!

Advertisement