Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Internet discussions, have they ever made you change your mind?

• 24-08-2012 3:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭

There's a fair few heated debates on boards and other internet fora (yes, they do exist). Has any heated or well-reasoned view that you initially didn't agree with cause you to change your mind about anything?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

No because I am right all of the time forever and ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

No, I find that itinerants rarely have anything worthwhile to say tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

The sexism thread in feedback opened my eyes a bit.

And I too am now also of the opinion that I'm a cúnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I've mentioned this recently, but a thread I started about people not reading books gave me a greater understanding of the mindset of people who didn't read (specifically fiction) and helped me to realise that a non-reader is not necessarily lacking in imagination, and that often they just have a different way of thinking than I do.

I usually don't have my changed by internet discussions (apart from my opinion of posters being lowered when they post drivel) because I'm usually right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Yes,oh I mean no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

lazygal wrote: »
    There's a fair few heated debates on boards and other internet fora (yes, they do exist). Has any heated or well-reasoned view that you initially didn't agree with cause you to change your mind about anything?

Yes.
    I used to consider myself a Catholic (non-Irish, but still). And after a discussion on an international forum I realised I wasn't... I didn't believe any of the stuff the church goes on about.
    I'd call myself an atheist these days, it just seems way more honest. :)

Yes.

I used to be opposed to gay adoption. After reading and taking part in many debates on the issue over the past few years I've completely changed my mind, and I can say that this change is entirely thanks to Boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭floggg

Yea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

I used to think a lot of the people arguing weren't gobsh1tes, now I know for sure they are

Yea, it has. Maybe not a complete 360 on an issue but other peoples opinions has certainly helped shape mine.

If your not prepared to take on board what other people say what's the point in joining in a discussion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

floggg wrote: »
    Yea, it has. Maybe not a complete 360 on an issue but other peoples opinions has certainly helped shape mine.

If your not prepared to take on board what other people say what's the point in joining in a discussion?

If you did a 360 you would agree with them and then not agree with them all over again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Definitely.

I still don't think you should be allowed receive bans for stating facts no matter how hurtful they are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Good thread title, it's what we're here for, a bit of healthy debate with a bit of wumming thrown in.
    I was more pro-choice but now I'm back on the fence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

The Julian Assange thread over in politics is interesting and I would have thought he was justified in avoiding going to Sweden.

Now I think it would be better if he did go having considered the 'he should go' side but mostly for different reasons. I couldn't give a damn about Assange making the UK look bad or the 'you-must-obey-the-law' gang.

If you did a 360 you would agree with them and then not agree with them all over again.

Not a complete 360,I think what he's trying to say is he did a 170.

gvn wrote: »
    Yes.

I used to be opposed to gay adoption. After reading and taking part in many debates on the issue over the past few years I've completely changed my mind, and I can say that this change is entirely thanks to Boards.

Can't say it's changed my mind, I still wouldn't want to adopt a gay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Maybe not a complete 360 on an issue
    kneemos wrote: »

Oh my god.

Maybe not a complete 360 on an issue
    kneemos wrote: »

Oh my god.

Yea, I ****ed up. I meant a 180 obviously.

It's Friday afternoon, my brain has been shut down for the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

lazygal wrote: »

Yes, The David norris thread, also more open to other peoples POV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

Yes I usually agree with whoever gets the most thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Yes. If it's a well reasoned argument supported by evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Yeah actually.

Youtube's anti islamic videos had me in a mindset of viewing muslims as nothing but a barbaric scourge on the world and that the interference by the west was justified. I had many heated debates with people all over YT about this.

While I still strongly agree that islam as a religion is too ignorant and backward, I have a lot more sympathy for moderate, peaceful muslims caught in Middle east war zones or who face unwarranted discrimination as opposed to when I had a YT account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Yup, quite a few times. One even lead to a huge raise for me about 6 years ago when I took the advice of someone I was arguing with on the Work & Jobs forum. Bought him a few pints at a Boards Beer to thank him!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

I like having my opinions challenged or when it's pointed out that I'm straight up wrong.

I think it would really bother me if everyone agreed with me all the time as I'd learn nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Nope.

I've won so many call show debates because I refuse to hang up the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Yep, I used to be completely against abortion and the British. Now I am completely supportive of abortion and I have a few friends in the British army.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Sometimes. But I don't admit it and continually argue in a small-minded fashion, doing my best to sidetrack the actual argument and point out petty inconsistencies, or make snide remarks regarding the other guy's username etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 CrazyPrices

Yes, they regulary change my mind. From calm and composed to angry, trembling with murderous rage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

In fairness yes i have

No point in joining a discussion if you are not willing to accept that you might be wrong.

If you are right then you will have educated other people
    If you are wrong then you have educated yourself
    So in theory everyone is a winner except in afterhours where everyone thinks they are right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Nah, any opinions that differ from mine I instantly dismiss as the bleatings of a liberal, lefty-loonie, commie, pc brigade member that wants to hug scumbags and kill babies.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Before I would have called myself an atheist but looking up the threads on here about atheism I have changed my mind. The religious militants of atheism made it an embarrassment to call oneself an atheist.
    Atheism is the fastest growing religion in the western world.
    They make the jihadists look tame.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭BazDel

I have never had my view changed from my initial stance to the complete opposite. However discussions can something make you view the issue from a totally different angle and that can help you understand how the person with the opposite view thinks that way.

Doubt I'll change my mind about this thread.

They make the ji hadists look tame.

Hehe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Yes of course

it was a Monday

I remember it distinctly

• Advertisement
Advertisement