Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rainbow Eucalyptus

Options
  • 24-08-2012 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

is there anywhere in ireland that might sell these.
    here's a pic and i cant resist wanting a few of them !!!

Rainbow-eucaliptus.jpg

rainbow-bark.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Wow,is that real? I want one!

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭reverenddave

yup very real :D

apparently there is huge plantations grown just for paper in indonesia :D

what a waste

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

I don't think they survive well here, a bit cold. Although, I for some reason think there was one in the botanics, dunno if it's still there after 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Looks like it would grow here, but I couldn't find anyone selling them on a quick google search. It would be too big for my garden anyway, eucalyptus tend to grow huge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

looksee wrote: »
    Looks like it would grow here, but I couldn't find anyone selling them on a quick google search. It would be too big for my garden anyway, eucalyptus tend to grow huge.

I dunno my understanding is that it wouldn't put up with anything longer then temporary frost, no?

And wouldn't think it's a great sign if no one is selling it.

• Advertisement

just been doing more readign up on it it has been known to withstand -6 Celsius

i'd very rarely get that (East Cork by the sea) even 2010 the lowest i had was -8 and nothing was damaged (except a quince and a spinning gum) both got wind damaged

i'll try getting seeds most Eucs are easy to propagate :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a load of eucalyptus got hosed by the winter of 2010/2011; i wouldn't bother trying a eucalyptus which seems to be even more tender than most.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

The Rainbow gum is beautiful, would love to know if it would survive here too.

I have a snow gum (Eucalyptus Niphophylla) here in sligo, planted in 2008 and is doing fine and I noticed yesterday that it is forming flower buds for the first time (me excited!) it is aprox 12 feet tall so far and is fairly slow growing for a gum tree and it started its peeling bark thing last year. It doesn't seem to mind the exposed location its in and shrugged off the cold winters we've had and its planted in fairly soggy ground ie.18inches of peat over limestone pavement.

I had a cider gum in the garden too but it was killed stone dead by winter 10/11, so if you want to try one try a snow gum, any one else planted one?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭kynzvart

There is a guy on E Bay selling seeds for Rainbow Eucalyptus ( E.deglupla) he is in West Yorkshire 100 seeds are selling for £6.20 .Item no 110928514030 if anyone interested the rest seems to be coming from Spain.They seem to grow very big so a lot of space needed but look beautiful.

kynzvart wrote: »
    There is a guy on E Bay selling seeds for Rainbow Eucalyptus ( E.deglupla) he is in West Yorkshire 100 seeds are selling for £6.20 .Item no 110928514030 if anyone interested the rest seems to be coming from Spain.They seem to grow very big so a lot of space needed but look beautiful.

Already got them and sitting in the porch waiting to be sown
    2 weeks cold stratification then straight to the propagator :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I'd wrap them in frost fleece during winter for a few years to give them a head start.

Oldtree wrote: »
    I'd wrap them in frost fleece during winter for a few years to give them a head start.

it says on the seed packet that they should be kept indoors for the first winter at least, preferably a second winter too

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Aaron_Ragmaan

Hey, just found this thread and very interested in an update! how is the growing going? did the seeds germinate? I would love to have a Rainbow Eucalyptus growing in my garden!

Hey, just found this thread and very interested in an update! how is the growing going? did the seeds germinate? I would love to have a Rainbow Eucalyptus growing in my garden!

just out of the fridge and sitting happily in the propagator there seems to be a little movement but not much it'll probably be another week before there is real noticeable movement !!!

i'll keep updating

Brilliant thanks!

UPDATE:
    have about 20 seedlings about 2-3 inch tall will post a pic shortly in unheated porch and seem to be doing fine :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

Too tender for here, and with the current cool winters we're finding that just possibly 5 or 6 eucalypts are able to stand up to intense cold we sometimes get.

how goes the growing??

not too bad, moved to tunnel but some got a little mould/fungus on them probably due to poor circulation in tunnel
    i have moved again closer to the door havent noticed any improvement yet but will keep posted

roots are developing quite nicely tho :D

now have 30 in 15cm pots nearly a foot tall :D

will put a pic up asap

still alive?? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 DLE_2D

So 5 years in, how are those plants doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Grafton have some notes from their attempt to grow one of these.

http://grafton-nursery.co.uk/thepottingshed/62-eucalyptus-deglupta-rainbow-gum.html

Short version: prune it back each winter and bring inside.
    We started growing this species last year for the first time and are keen to see how long it takes to produce the amazing bark. We took a 1 litre tree in July 2017 and potted it on into a 20 litre air-pot container. It grew to around 10 feet tall over the summer and produced the most majestic tree. The challenge came in November over what to do with it, as we have no heated glass houses. So Stephen pruned it down to 6ft (including the pot) and cut back every side shoot to a 4-6 inch spur. This coat-rack then moved into our kitchen for Christmas, next to the glass patio door, where it started to sprout little shoots all over the trunk and branches. By March, it had to move out to the potting tunnel as it was getting quite hairy with foliage. During May it was back up at around 8ft tall, including the pot and has the most magnificent bushy, purple tinged canopy. By August 2017, our bushy tree was 10ft tall. The trunk is about 1-2 inches in diameter and is pink!
    Recently its been potted on into a 45 litre air-pot container - really looking forward to seeing how fat we can get the trunk this year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

DLE_2D wrote: »
    So 5 years in, how are those plants doing?
    the OP has not been online in over two years.
    however, the last time i pointed out something like this, they reappeared the next day.

anyway, i'm fairly sure i've seen mature rainbow eucalyptus in mount usher gardens?

Advertisement