Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subject advice: Eng or History?

• 24-08-2012 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hey I'm doing an Arts degree and I don't know whether to pick English or History as my final subject. I want to do English, but I got a shock/disappointing C3 in the LC even though I had been getting high Bs all through 6th year :/. I'm going to get it rechecked and see if it was maybe a mistake. The thing is that I don't even know if I can do English with only a C3 in the LC... Plus, I kind of feel disheartened about the subject in general and I'd feel like a twat picking it when I got such an average mark...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭CatEyed92

UCC Arts course

I have completed one year in Arts and I took English and History.

DO English. English is interesting, great lecturers. The assignments are good too! It's the only arts subject I'll miss when I leave...

History is horrible and quite hard. I would steer clear. It is ironic that they call it "Introduction to History" but there is too much in it to be an introduction! English and History are bulky together. I would only pick one of them.
    It is nothing like Leaving Cert History..

Also, don't worry! It is only 'recommended' that you have a blah blah grade.

IMO. G'luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

WestIRL wrote: »
    Hey I'm doing an Arts degree and I don't know whether to pick English or History as my final subject. I want to do English, but I got a shock/disappointing C3 in the LC even though I had been getting high Bs all through 6th year :/. I'm going to get it rechecked and see if it was maybe a mistake. The thing is that I don't even know if I can do English with only a C3 in the LC... Plus, I kind of feel disheartened about the subject in general and I'd feel like a twat picking it when I got such an average mark...

From what I've read on boards, history in third level is meant to be hard. You don't just have to know all the facts and stuff, but you've to interpret them etc. I know how you feel about English, I was getting all A's during the year and then ended up with a B1, but don't be disheartened, we all know how the SEC love their bell curves. Personally, I'd go with English, despite being a history lover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

Decide which subject you like the most, then go for that one! Both subjects are really interesting, but its your life, so as I say, the one you like the most will be the best choice regardless of any advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

WestIRL wrote: »
    Hey I'm doing an Arts degree and I don't know whether to pick English or History as my final subject.
    When you say "final subject", do you mean as an extra subject in first year?

What are you already doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭WestIRL

When you say "final subject", do you mean as an extra subject in first year?

What are you already doing?

I meant that I'm going into my first year and I'm choosing my 4th subject. Anyway I've picked English now so hopefully it's good :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,284 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

You would not find third level history difficult if you have an interest in it outside of school, I didn't even do it for my leaving and I have never felt overloaded or under pressure with it.

In fact, not doing LC history is probably an advantage, I know several people that did do LC history and now do third level history and the approaches to the subject are all different and having to adapt from mentioning facts, dates, names, places all the time to analysing the why and how of events took a while...and others that didnt do it like myself just jumped into the 3rd level way of doings things no problem.

Advertisement