Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cool things to make for bedroom from scratch? plz read! :)

• 24-08-2012 4:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

up in Dublin recently and saw some really cool retro/vintage shops with people actually making really cool little things in there out of nothing. Turning coke cans into something decorative, lego into vintage rings etc, home made lava lamps..

just wondering if anyone has any cool ideas for small easy to make things that I can do myself at home to give my room a more personal touch, right now its just so bland with the standard drawers, bed, computer etc.

Could be anything, something cool to hold a few photos, a decorative thing made from everyday rubbish, whatever!

many thanks for any suggestions! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭-Vega-

nothing yet, still hopeful.. comerrrrrnnnn!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

where to start...

...patchwork wallpaper- get old sample books of posh/funky wallpaper and patchwork a wall or two

...attatch hard back books from charity shops to the wall with brackets for shelving

...reupholster furniture/cover lampshades with vintage picture tea towels or old fashioned woollen blankets/candlewick bedspreads

...display vintage clothing under glass or just hang on your wall for decoration- some of the old stuff is too tiny/delicate to wear but still looks damn good

...pick up old tins and baskets for storage

...paint your gross old fridge with blackboard paint and have chalks handy...can also do a wall or section of wall in blackboard paint- you can get it in green or black too

...upcycle an old door into a funky table

...stitch crochet doilies to everything...also mismatched buttons

...jazz up your light switches- turn off the power first, then unscrew the plate, decorate to your fancy (can cover with paper, lace, buttons etc) then screw them back on

...paper decorations are cheap and give good effect... we have paper doily bunting and massive tissue paper pom poms atm

I could go on, there are so so many sites and blogs devoted to this kind of stuff...just remember William Morris' maxim...let there be nothing in your home that is not beautiful or functional!

Thanks thats some great stuff, if u have any links to hand for these sites hook me up! I googled it a few times but havent got the hit Im lookin for, phrasing it wrong in the search id say! :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Check out Pinterest, you'll find directions on how to make just about anything.

Ah really like Pinterest, never surfed that page b4! Any more? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,920 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There are some amazing images on pintrest, especially for crafts, however it is generally very difficult to get back to the original site - very often no credit or link is given to the original site. You just go round in circles getting other sites/pintrest-people that have thieved pretty pictures from somewhere and post them as though they are doing something clever. Its just large scale copyright abuse as far as I can see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I've generally gotten to the original page after a click or two. I don't know about it being large scale copyright abuse unless people are profiting from other's work, or preventing people from profiting from their own work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 AlizeHall

Paint a room! Play with colors. Painting has something to do with how your room will looks brighter, nice, fun and comfortable to stay with. Add some decoration as well like paintings or canvases. Make use of your photographs as subject and preference for these artworks. I mean, make your room really yours and one thing to achieve it is to put some customize items in it. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 legoblock1

Hey there, i'm a huge fan of making things different and a tad more creative and original and i swear by an app i found called craft gawker.. it includes step by step guides to making things... suitcases as chairs, crates as tables or shelving, turning wine bottles into amazing vases by using paint and attaching clay shapes etc. Definately a good one if you're into changing up and making things a little more exciting!:cool:

thanks ! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

jumbletown.ie has examples of old bits and pieces people have upcycled. It is worth a look.

Thanks Ill have a peak!

Advertisement