Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to pickle beetroot

Options
  • 24-08-2012 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

I've some beetroot i want to pickle. Is distilled malt vinegar the right type to use? Where can you get it in big enough quantities to use for pickling?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

Hi. yes you can use malt vinegar, or distilled malt, it is quite strong and more like what you buy in shops, but you can use any vinegar, on my Christmas batch I used cider vinegar, also red wine vinegar, and they are a lovely flavour,I buy vinegar in any of low cost supermarket, the branded goods are far to pricey for the amount you'd need use,
    If you know someone who uses the cash and carry, they do 5 litres bottles, :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I pickled some beetroot during the week, used about 5 medium sized beetroots.

Used enough cider vinegar for the jar I was using, put it in a pot with a cinnamon stick, some cloves, couple of Bay leaves and a teaspoon of black peppercorns, heated it to just below boiling, then took it off the heat and left covered overnight to allow the flavours to infuse into the vinegar.

Next day I boiled the beetroot, skin on, for about 20mins, cooled, peeled and sliced.

Whilst cooling I drained the vinegar, then boiled it, placed the sliced beetroot into the sterilised jar and covered with the vinegar, closed the jar and now it's sitting in the press, I won't use it for about a month.

this is the exact jar I used, it's the gherkins you get in Lidl, I had an empty jar. I got a 500ml bottle of cider vinegar, and used about two thirds of it I think.

DSC00047.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭radiat

i got 500ml of malt vinegar in LIDL for 85c. I'm going to give it a go with that.

Advertisement