Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartments Dundrum Wyckham Point

Options
  • 24-08-2012 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭

Anyone have an idea when the next phase of Wyckham Point is starting. I have rented there for 18 months and am really interested in buying a two bed apartment there. While I will be living there I understand that apartments to rent in Wyckham are gone in a couple of days of adverttsing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

They have had no building work done in about three years. Not sure what the plan is for the unfortunatle.

If were to buy an apartment in the area these are the only ones i would consider, well the current development anyway. With concierge,gym etc.

If the second half is completed but does not get to share those amenities they are the same as any other apartment in the area though and i would prefer perhaps balintyre.

The traveller camp beside wyckham would turn me off from a resale point of view although there is barley any trouble from the travellers at all in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Luca Brasi

The traveller site is not an issue at alll. I think that they are only 4 units there and is very well controlled by Dunlaoire Rathdown council. Because of its location 95% of the residents wouldn't see as they come and go. The blocck that remains completion is far away from it in any case.
    I'm just wondering if there is any sign of it being developed as all the other apartments are now sold or so I have been told.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Baron Floyd

I think the top section may now be nama? not sure though. Either way the only noise out of there is at night and its the remote security roaring at tresspassers so no clue if they will be completing the complex in the near future. Good news for the rest of us as it means no €100 fee to the gov :D

re: the halting site, I've been living in Wyckham for 4 years in October and to date I've seen very few signed of activity, no mess on the roads or any trouble. Once the site had a disco or something but that was it.

That complex or the developers are definetely not in NAMA. I have heard recently that there may be progress in the new year once funding becomes available to finish the fit out. Whether they will go on general sale or to an investment company I am not sure. I suppose its a matter of "watch this space"

Actually i think o malley construction are in nama although they are not distressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

The traveller camp beside wyckham would turn me off from a resale point of view although there is barley any trouble from the travellers at all in fairness.

Where is that? I've lived across the road from W/Point for over a year and didn't know there was a camp in the area.

When the monks sold the land that wyckham point and wyckham place are built on the land had a requirement that some of it was used for a traveller development, it is just past the little roundabout on the left.

There really is no trouble from them at all and they are very clean. Although when i have been visiting friends in wyckham point i have nearly gotten knocked down by them driving at excessive speeds in and out. Also i have witnessed the traveller children trying to get into the underground carparks in wyckham point. This was last year though.

But otherwise you wouldnt know they were there really. Still, there is always the potential of putting future buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Contact Hooke & MacDonald they should be able to tell you. Lots of the apartments in the area seem to be in big demand for renting. All the unfinished apartments are being finished and let in Sandyford block by block at the moment (Funded by NAMA). A couple of people at work have just let in around the Beacon and apparently the ones over Aldi are next to be finished, then next to Dunnes and then the pointy shell of a building. There was big demand for the other block over starbucks that has been fully rented in the last month.

I would doubt that they would be starting new greenfield construction of apartments as it wouldn't be economical at current prices. It will be a few years away yet.

I see that the developers have given notice that the third block of Wyckham Point will be going on sale in the New Year so obviously there is some move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

irishguy wrote: »
    Contact Hooke & MacDonald they should be able to tell you. Lots of the apartments in the area seem to be in big demand for renting. All the unfinished apartments are being finished and let in Sandyford block by block at the moment (Funded by NAMA). A couple of people at work have just let in around the Beacon and apparently the ones over Aldi are next to be finished, then next to Dunnes and then the pointy shell of a building. There was big demand for the other block over starbucks that has been fully rented in the last month.

I would doubt that they would be starting new greenfield construction of apartments as it wouldn't be economical at current prices. It will be a few years away yet.

Sounds like there is a fair bit of development going on there. I guess its in NAMAs interest to get them completed and taking rent. Are there many unfinished apartments in the area now?

• Advertisement

There are a few but they are all being finished in the next 12 months. There also seems to be some site clearance going on at the south central site, not sure what they are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Never knew about this settlement. Can someone provide a google maps link?

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Never knew about this settlement. Can someone provide a google maps link?

What do you mean ?

What do you mean ?

What do you mean what do I mean?

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    What do you mean what do I mean?

What settlement? Did I miss something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

I lived in Wyckham Place last year and hated the travellers. They have no control of their kids, they would often come into the car park and throw stones around the place. I have seen residents asking them politely to stop and they end up getting called names and told to f**k off. The reason you don't see much of this activity in Wyckham Point is because you have your concierge we didn't. He is often out moving them on.

Never had issue with any of the adults. I'm a young guy and will likely be buying in the next year or two in Ballinteer but the travellers really tarnishes the Point/Place in my opinion and would make me think twice about buying there.

What settlement? Did I miss something.

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

Does anyone know whats going on in the clearance on the site beside ALDI - JCBs have been busy there for a while now. By the way, there are 65 apartments currently being built beside St Rapahaela's school, about 500m from the ALDI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 lechiennoir

I'm surprised to see interest in Wyckham. The place is desolate and the rental prices are the same as renting a house one minute away.

With regards to Ballintyre, everyone I know who has rented there said the apartments are of an appalling build quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

I'm surprised to see interest in Wyckham. The place is desolate and the rental prices are the same as renting a house one minute away

There are very few houses available for rent in the area and they're certainly not the same price as apartments.

• Advertisement

markpb wrote: »
    There are very few houses available for rent in the area and they're certainly not the same price as apartments.
    I've been renting in Ballinteer for the last 6 years and have been keeping an eye on prices. There have been 3 bed furnished houses for rent in Clonlea/Clonlea Wood/Woodpark/Kingston for €1200-€1400 many times over that period while every time I've checked on the apartments in Wyckham they've been €1100-€1200, so not too much extra for a larger living space, more bedrooms, a front and back garden and parking space.

With respect Lechienoir i would have to wholly disagree with you. i don't live there but i would completely disagree with you saying Wyckham Point is desolate!

Plus it is very difficult to compare an apartment there with living in a house. The houses you mention do not have a 24 hour concierge service or a gym. The bills are far far higher in a house. There are parking spaces assigned to each apartment in wyckham point too.

I think that when it comes to apartment living which suits some people a lot more than living in a house, Wyckham point is a very desirable place to live.

I'm around Wyckham quite a bit, the place is absolutely desolate. I know people who were renting in there also and said there was an issue with homeless squatters in the unfinished apartments also.

hmmmm i have to say i disagree with you again. i have friends living in three different apartments and i think they would also disagree, they are still there now and have no intention of moving.

I would almost consider it impossible for homeless people to be living there also as there is 24 hour monitored CCTV operating there and every now and again you could clearly hear the person who monitored the cameras alerting any trespassers that they should leave and if they did not that the guards would arrive.

as i said before also there is 24 hour concierge who monitor the apartments also.

the population of the apartments is mostly young professional with a few older people who obviously downsized as they got a bit older. there is quite a friendly atmosphere there in fact.

not sure why i am responding so strongly to your posts really as it is no difference to me but i do think an injustice is being done!

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭doughef

The place is desolate?? homeless squaters??

Ha Ha.. Thats hilarious.. :D

It seems like somebody couldnt afford to move in..

Ah well..

doughef wrote: »
    The place is desolate?? homeless squaters??

Ha Ha.. Thats hilarious.. :D

It seems like somebody couldnt afford to move in..

Ah well..

I live somewhere more expensive, as stated above, but well done on getting yourself all upset and throwing your toys out of the pram.

Calm down and go do your finger painting like a good lad.

oh man,.

What a snob!!

"I live somewhere more expensive"... are you for real?? :)

and I see by your other posts that you are totally dismissive of all the schools in the area...
    "a rough school with rough pupils" is what you called one...

And since you dont live in WP ... why would you bother your ar*e coming on here and giving out about it..

did you have a fight with the conceirge or something?? :rolleyes:

go back to your lil "more expensive" place and make sure there are no "rough schools with rough boys " around...

Weirdo

You said I couldn't afford to live there, I stated above that I rent a house in Ballinteer and that the rent is only marginally more (1/6th - > 1/7th) expensive than that in Wyckham overall. When I point this out to you, regarding your childish jab that I can't afford to live in Wyckham, you then call me a snob?

You're very selectively quoting me, it's actually quite interesting. The post you quote about "rough school with rough pupils" also named two good schools in the area, yet you claim I dismiss all schools in the area. Combined with your bizarre behaviour with regards to rental prices it's safe to say you've either an agenda here, and an incredibly immature one at that, or you're just extremely butthurt that I said something negative about the place you happen to be renting.

Hrmm, indeed, why would I be complaining about the empty eye-sore in my area, reportedly filled with squatters? To be quite honest, I'm hoping they're torn down in the coming years. They've remained incomplete and desolate for far too long as it is. We could have a nice new park there or similar instead.

Ah yes, and then you finish with another immature insult. Well done you, you bastion of intelligence.

I'm sorry if I have upset your feelings :D

you assume a lot...

I never said YOU could not afford to live there. I merely pointed out that maybe SOMEBODY could not afford to live there.

But if you feel that applies to you that's fine.

Also,.. I never said I was renting there.. I never even said I lived there.

oh, but since your in favour of a park..There is a lovely little park out the back beside the lake..Its quite near the gym too. I'm reliably informed the residents have lovely BBQ's there during the summer.

I'm also assured that there is a Christmas night out planned shortly for some of the residents..people of all ages will be attending...
    Everybody is meeting at the fountain to go to a local boozer.

The plan is to take in the view of the lovely Christmas lights around the development before they depart on their merry way ,(you may have noticed since you spend a lot of time there, that it's beautifully decorated at this time of year.. however maybe that's just to cheer them up since they inhabit a desolate world full of homeless squatters !!)

Maybe, if your lonely.. as you seem to be.. you can come??

PM me and I'll forward you the details of someone on the residents committee...

I hate to think of people being lonely and hate filled for no reason at Christmas

• Advertisement

If you're above the age of 11, you should genuinely be embarrassed of what you've written there. More immature drivel by someone who sees paying €1200 per month for a flat in Ballinteer as a life accomplishment. Pure cringe.

Advertisement