Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-Display of Prices

Options
  • 24-08-2012 5:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭

Did a search and the last thread was years ago.

Was in a large Dublin city centre department store today. In the market for a new pair of boots. Not aq price to be found, inside the shoes, on the heel, on the shelves, no where. Now, I hate shopping enough without having to corral a shop assistant into following me around to check every price I might need.

Anyway, got a few prices that way but as she had to keep running off to serve other people I said I'd make a list and we can go in one fell swoop. She agreed. Five minutes later, enter what I presume was a manager who demanded to know what I was writing down and why. Explainedx that, and he was mollified but before I went I asked him was he aware that he's obliged to price things on the shop floor to which he responded with this jaw dropper. "I know, but we never have and unless we're made, never will."

There was a queue at the till at that stage so I walked out. I've a list of the brands and type I wanted (but no prices for most) so I'll probably just buy them online.

I just wish citizens werre entitled to bring cases directly for this kind of thing rather than relying on a toothless quango.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I just wish citizens werre entitled to bring cases directly for this kind of thing rather than relying on a toothless quango.

Anyone can bring a court case, you don't have to wait for someone else to do it. So you are entitled to bring cases directly for this kind of thing yourself rather than relying on a toothless quango. All I ask is you make sure to come back here and let us know how your case got on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Forward a complaint to the Director of Consumer Affairs. To be fair they do just assume people aren't stupid enough to keep shopping somewhere that the service is crap.

I am frequently surprised at how wrong they are.

I'm not sure on what legal theory you would launch a personal case though. There's no contract, it doesn't seem to fit in a to any tort suit and you wouldn't have locus standi to sue under the legislation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Celeron Media

Contact the National Consumer Agency if you find that a retailer or service provider is not displaying prices as per the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

considering that its august and the chances are the stock has just arrived in, is it possible that they simply have not got around to pricing them?

Any retailer worth his/her salt knows that an unpriced item is an unsold item.

Advertisement