Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cost of petrol

• 24-08-2012 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭

With the price of petrol expected to break the €2 a litre mark I was wondering how much do people spend each year on petrol?

It would be good if you could give a bit more detail about your motors MPG or other factors such as average hours spent driving per week and if your job involves driving (excluding time driving to an office for professionals/office workers).

Comments

It will be a while yet before we have to worry about 2.00 Euro petrol. The greatest threat will be a weakening Euro against the U.S.D.

Anyone thinks the Government might reduce fuel tax can think again as they have made it clear it won't happen.

I drive an 07 Prius and get 62-64 mpg average per tank. The diesel A4 automatic got 48 mpg average, I'm really happy with the Prius!

That means the A4 would get me 764 Kms on 45 litres compared to 1019 in the Prius.

The difference at the pump is 4.50 euros or just 51 Kms so even with the extra cost of petrol I'm saving a lot over the diesel.

I do about 20 k miles a year costing 3000 euros or more.

Sure if you want the cheapest possible fuel, then nothing beats electric!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 donalabu

i d spend over 2000 per year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I drive a 97 fto and I suppose it coughs up at about 25mpg, which is fine, because I don't do a great deal of driving. My office is a 5 minute drive from me and I will do the occasional long journey an couple of times per year. I would guess my average weekly consumption s €40, so that's €2080 per year. Tax is €600. Not cheap to run a car, but it beats the hell out of sharing a moving stink box with a pile of junkies gettin schmoked up at de baack.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

FG/Labour wont do anything to help this country out.

They will however happily bleed us all dry and pay back german bondholders.

It now turns out that the ECB overstepped the line and illegally forced and threatened us to pay the bond holders.

Enda Kenny and Michael Noonan have alot of explaining to do to the Irish people over this very serious matter.Theres also a letter from the ECB threatening Ireland aswell,which the goverment have now said/admitted exists (after being put under preessure to say whether it exists or not)

WE NEVER had to pay the bondholders...........the truth finally comes out.

But Kenny and Noonan will deny this and try to worm their way out of it....AGAIN.

Will they step in and put a cap on fuel prices??

Feck no way will they,because they are greedy grubby sly bast^rds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Ah the standard government rant

Thanks for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

Here we go !

Popcorn getcha Popcorn, delicious buttery popcorn !!!

Sorry but its true.

Look after the germans...but fcuk the Irish people over in the process.

Why cant/wont they cut fuel costs???

Because they are greedy/grubby bast^rds.

They are ruining the domestic Irish economy.

If we are all in with the EU why do we have some of the most stupid/illegal motor taxation laws.

Harmonisation my furt (name i just made up for the soft part behind your knee)

So when do we stand up and say NO.

What price does fuel have to hit,before we all say NO and force Kenny and Noonan do do something.????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

Everytime the price of fuel goes up the percentage take on tax goes up, people will have to change their life style, obtain work near home, live near towns an villages so there is not so much reliance on cars to live and go to the shops etc.

I am particularly concerned about heating oil, I suspect other fuels such as coal follows the trend and goes up because there is less competion. It would be nice to live near a forest and collect my own wind blow wood for nothing.

• Advertisement

Supermarkets will put food prices up too....as they will have very high diesel costs for their trucks.

Gas is about to go up by another 8%...thanks to the CER saying yes to Bord Gais.

Nothing new there then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

This is not the politics forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Sure we could all just break the law and cut turf on protected bog lands, while spewing more waste into the atmosphere. If we're gonna go down, we're doin it in style. Not really tho.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    This is not the politics forum

Yes,you are right,its not

BUT

Fuel affects everyone and everything in this country.

When fuel rises,it cuts into peoples lives in every way possible.
    And when you see the government doing sweet fcuk all about it,it tends to annoy people too.

It's only illegal as it's not taxable even though it's a privately owned natural resource

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

Kenny, noonan, berty, cowen.
    The things that the last government introduced have never being changed.
    And with the a different government in power it'd nearly be all the same.

The tax on petrol and diesel is sh1te but it's the fact there is a few taxes (vat co2 charge).

In a 1.4 id spend too much for a car with little bang, 1.70ish a litre lately prob €60 a week maybe max that might be every two weeks depending what is happening or where we are going!
    €333 a year on tax too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

paddy147 wrote: »
    Yes,you are right,its not

BUT

Fuel affects everyone and everything in this country.

When fuel rises,it cuts into peoples lives in every way possible.
    And when you see the government doing sweet fcuk all about it,it tends to annoy people too.

Fuel is one of the most inelastic goods in existance, along with fags and alcohol. That's why no Government worth their salt will cut taxes on these, especially when we're still massively overspending. The money has to come from somewhere.

If we want lower fuel taxes then we must all decide collectively as a nation to consciously drive less. If that happened, then Government revenue would decrease and they would either not increase fuel duty or maybe even decrease it.

Until such time as that happens, fuel duty is never going to come down, it is pretty much guaranteed income for the Government. As I said earlier, the money has to come from somewhere, and personally I would rather a few extra cent on fuel as opposed to say going back on the changes they made to the USC where the first €10,000 of income is exempt from that absolutely cruel tax.

Fuel is one of the most inelastic goods in existance, along with fags and alcohol. That's why no Government worth their salt will cut taxes on these, especially when we're still massively overspending. The money has to come from somewhere.

If we want lower fuel taxes then we must all decide collectively as a nation to consciously drive less. If that happened, then Government revenue would decrease and they would either not increase fuel duty or maybe even decrease it.

Until such time as that happens, fuel duty is never going to come down, it is pretty much guaranteed income for the Government. As I said earlier, the money has to come from somewhere, and personally I would rather a few extra cent on fuel as opposed to say going back on the changes they made to the USC where the first €10,000 of income is exempt from that absolutely cruel tax.

The money has to come from somewhere you say???

Dont pay the german bondholders billions of euro every couple of months,and take 15-20 cents in duty off the cost of fuel,to ease the burden on the Irish people and domestic economy.

Government now has a load more money and doesnt fcuk up the domestic economy any more either.

Simples.

PS-You say we should "drive less".

Ah sure great,we all should eat less food,drink less fluids.

We will all just eat and drink rations of bread and water,while the unsecured german bondholders are kept happy by Kenny and Noonam with billions upon billions of euros

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

fuel tax, road tax, vrt... No wonder they split it up, if it was one tax it would be ridiculously big and they'd never get away with it. Or would they??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The money has to come from somewhere you say???

Dont pay the german bondholders billions of euro every couple of months,and take 15-20 cents in duty off the cost of fuel,to ease the burden on the Irish people and domestic economy.

Government now has a load more money and doesnt fcuk up the domestic economy any more either.

Simples.

Simples eh?The country is costing around 15b a year more to run than is taken in taxes. Nothing to do with banks, bondholders or any other rabble rousing stuff. The day to day paying for stuff like health, education, social welfare and public sector wages.

But never mind all that. You just carry on throwing the word bondholders around as much as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

This government would actually put it up so those still paying it would make up the difference lost. Like Irish rail charging more for tickets because numbers are down so paying customers make up the difference.

Simples eh?The country is costing around 15b a year more to run than is taken in taxes. Nothing to do with banks, bondholders or any other rabble rousing stuff. The day to day paying for stuff like health, education, social welfare and public sector wages.

But never mind all that. You just carry on throwing the word bondholders around as much as possible.

So what do you think the goverment could do with all the billlions they throw over to the germans every few months??

What could they use that money for here in this country??

It is indeed very simple.

The domestic economy is fcuked at the moment,but Kenny and Noonan dont care about it or this country.

Its all about keeping Germany happy.:rolleyes:

Theres only so much and so far Kenny and Noonan can push the people of this country,before they all snap and say NO MORE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

work in petrol station last day we put up price to 1.71 F****ing sickening,and manager mentioned it going up again in couple weeks time probably :cool:,the ones to blame are the importers of fuel Shell,BP,ESSO and such as they manipulate the prices,and funny thing is when the crude drops on exchange they say they bought for the higher price,and vise versa :D same applies to petrol stations price might drop 1-5 cents but until they use up all their reserves dont expect it to drop a cent.It wouldnt be all that bad but count in insurance,road tax,car service,nct and you work just to pay your bills to get to work :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Theres only so much and so far Kenny and Noonan can push the people of this country,before they all snap and say NO MORE.

Maybe they should all go buy cheap petrol up north...................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Spend €60- €80 a week or week and a half on a 2ltr turbo octavia.
    4x4 would cost €80 Dublin to Sligo and back and a little bit more but not much.

Can remember filling the hair dryer(moped) with £1.50 to £2.00 pounds and get 100 miles or bit more them were the days.

Hydrogen is the way in the future the oil companys will keep the likes of that at bay till oil runs out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Estimated I spend approx 2500 yoyos a year on petrol. With the same mileage on the diesel, I'm estimating I'll save the tax money for the year and them some. The diesel mpg is showing already, with the pump turned down well I get well over 50mpg (possibly near 60 but I'll check someday) where my van would top at 49mpg, as proven on a recent run to Galway and back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

So what do you think the goverment could do with all the billlions they throw over to the germans every few months??

The domestic economy is fcuked at the moment,but Kenny and Noonan dont care about it or this country.

What money are we 'handing over to the Germans'?

I presume you're talking about the money we are legally obliged to give to institutions like Anglo etc etc. As you know, the previous Government signed up to the IMF programme, and this may come as a shock to you, but when you join a club or sign up to something then you must honour your side of the bargain.

\end of politics rant

I presume you're talking about the money we are legally obliged to give to institutions like Anglo etc etc. As you know, the previous Government signed up to the IMF programme, and this may come as a shock to you, but when you join a club or sign up to something then you must honour your side of the bargain.

\end of politics rant

We are not legaly oblidged to hand it over.WE NEVER WERE.

Pat Rabbite admitted it (finally) the other night on Vincent Brown,when Colm McCarthy did some investigating.Theres also a threatening letter from the ECB,which the goverment only now will admit exists,after McCarthy uncovered it.

The ECB have acted out of their league and we (Ireland) now have a legal case to bring to the European Courts of Justice,as the ECB has acted illegally towards us.

We are not legaly oblidged to pay any money back to the bondholders.

WE should not have paid any money to the germans at all.

Ireland will now be looking for most of the money back,or at least mid to high 20 billion euro back.

\end of politics rant

Are you 100% sure about that then?

Pat Rabbit.....Goverment minister "finally" admits some interesting things on Vincent Brown,after Colm McCarthy does an indepth investigation on the ECB.

Basicly,we got threatened and forced to pay the German bondholders,when we never had to pay them at all.Theres no legal requirement for paying the bondholders back,in the IMF agreement and rules.

http://www.tv3.ie/3player/show/41/52207/1/Tonight-with-Vincent-Browne

Now I wonder will Kenny and Noonan finaly grow some balls and stand up to the ECB and Germany???

And stop screwing over the people of Ireland and the domestic economy.

Dont pay the bondholders,cut the fuel prices by 15 cents and get some stability back into the domestic economy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭OnTheCounter

Thread took a different turn than I was expecting... Bondholders, ECB and ze germans.

Basically I was looking to see what the average running costs per year would be.

Thread took a different turn than I was expecting... Bondholders, ECB and ze germans.

Basically I was looking to see what the average running costs per year would be.

It would be alot cheaper if the fuel prices get sorted out and something is done to cap them ASAP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

use public transport much cheaper cars give trouble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

As said regardless of these ''bondholders'' you speak of the Government is taking in way less money than it's paying out. The costs of social welfare and education and health are all enormous even with the cuts being made. You can't seem to see that point though.

Do you not think it's of the utmost importance that the Irish pay any borrowed money back to secure the country in being able to borrow in the future at reasonable interest rates? No of course you don't, you just see the Irish paying billions out each month as you put it.

Any money borrowed must be paid back otherwise we haven't a hope of anyone lending to us again. Now that's simples...

So we are not paying out billions to the germans every few months then?

So that money (that we dont need to pay) should not be used for the domestic economy instead and try to stabilize it and get it going again??

I dont want FG/Labour using my money and all our money to pay back a bunch of germans,when we dont have any legal need to.

Bondholders are gamblers..they took a risk/chance/gamble..it didnt work out for them.

You dont get your money back when you gamble and it doesnt work out.

The IMF terms even allow that we dont need to pay it back.

Everyone should look at the Vincent Brown episode that I linked to above.

Its about time a government minister started admitting things and started being a bit more honest with the people of Ireland

So we are not paying out billions to the germans every few months then?

So that money (that we dont need to pay) should not be used for the domestic economy instead and try to stabilize it and get it going again??

I dont want FG/Labour using my money and all our money to pay back a bunch of germans,when we dont have any legal need to.

Bondholders are gamblers..they took a risk/chance/gamble..it didnt work out for them.

You dont get your money back when you gamble and it doesnt work out.

The IMF terms even allow that we dont need to pay it back.

Everyone should look at the Vincent Brown episode that I linked to above.

Its about time a government minister started admitting things and started being a bit more honest with the people of Ireland

The decision taken to guarantee all the bonds for their full value was questionable at the time but you barely read my third paragraph did you?

Do you not realise the importance of paying the money back to ensure that Ireland can borrow money again at reasonable interest rates and not have to resort to more bailouts? Of course you don't, you seem to just think that Mr Kenny and Mr Noonan don't give a sh1t about the country.

I'm sure they know a hell of alot more than you do good sir. :)

• Advertisement

166man wrote: »
    The decision taken to guarantee all the bonds for their full value was questionable at the time but you barely read my third paragraph did you?

Do you not realise the importance of paying the money back to ensure that Ireland can borrow money again at reasonable interest rates and not have to resort to more bailouts? Of course you don't, you seem to just think that Mr Kenny and Mr Noonan don't give a sh1t about the country.

I'm sure they know a hell of alot more than you do good sir. :)

Watch the Vincent Brown show above.

Have a good listen to what Colm McCarthy states,and then what Pat Rabbit says and admits to.

Makes for very interesting viewing.;)

Watch the Vincent Brown show above.

Have a good listen to what Colm McCarthy states,and then what Pat Rabbit says and admits to.

Makes for very interesting viewing.;)

I'll be sure to do that ;)

Going to try and get back on topic - I usually use about €40 of diesel a week cruising around the place but I'm starting to feel it getting pricey alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Petrol was 1.70eur in the city today! I don't know if the tall ships had anything to do with it but that's the highest I've seen so far! Even the cheap top petrol station by the quays was 169 too...

My dreams of owning an M3 seem to be fading away soon... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'm confused as to whether or not this not this is a politics or motors thread.

There's no point in the government reducing the tax and duty on fuel as the oil companies will simply still hike prices regardless.

I've cut down my fuel bills by switching to bus / cycling as much as possible. Gone from 400 /month to 30. I also drive the wife's car where possible too as that helps my bill but not hers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,299 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Spend 50 lats a week on petrol. Needle barely gets half way.
    And I CarPool for work purposes for last few months.
    I'm still saving fcuk all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

I filled the MR2 tank recently, and it was my first €80 tank of fuel in that car in my time of ownership. 47 litres of fuel.

The Audi's diesel tank is 62 litres, and I'm looking at my first €100 fill in that car next month.

Thankfully we don't have the same fuel costs as the UK, even if we do have crucifying tax & insurance by comparison.

LPG might for some be the way to go.

we know the financial crisis.

We shouldn't forget that the German tax payer has been shafted too!

Even without the bailout there is not enough money coming in and more going out.

Don't forget vrt and road tax is going up in January, and I believe band A is going to be largely unaffected. But will see the band end at around 89 g/km co2.

We should have had water charges and property tax all along. Most other countries have it decades.

I see the state of the roads in the south of Kildare where Kildare Co. Co think doesn't exist, a a bit of tar and clippings in that crator will do, shur no stud farms are around there no one really important goes,into the golf clubs down there why bother have a road surface at all!

It pains me to see the broken road and unfinished foot paths in my area and even several pictures and emails to the local labour TD in Athy (don't live in Athy) have gone unnoticed. I certainly won't be voting labour again!

Electric bikes are one seriously cheap way to get around. And I'm not talking the cheap legal junk they sell in the shops or online but the conversions you can do yourself. The potential is freaking huge! And there are millions on the roads in China!

Leccy is the future, maybe hydrogen for HGV but we need lots of energy to make hydrogen the main reason there is no hydrogen infrastructure, once the world goes back to Nuclear we may find more Hydrogen production but for cars and vans leccy will be the future and one reason I hope so is that I can make my own leccy I can't hydrogen so we wil lbe at the mercy of big companies again and it will never be as cheap as leccy!

FG/Labour need to put money INTO the DOMESTIC economy,and not by constantly taxing the fcuk out of everything.

All these false prommises and al the lies by Kenny and Gilmore just shows what we have nowadays

People cannot give what they dont have.

And come next year a hell of alot more people will not be able to give any more money over the the goveremt,as they wont have it to hand over.

They should stop paying the german bondholders,and they should step in and put a cap on the fuel prices right now,if they are truely serious about this country and its domestic economy.That would be a start.

The current domestic economy needs to be looked at and sorted 1st.

......."Charity begins at home".......

PS-Alot of people cant and wont be able to afford to pay a 600+ euro property tax and water charges next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Elessar

FG/Labour need to put money INTO the DOMESTIC economy,and not take it out by taxing the fcuk out of everything.

People cannot give what they dont have.

And come next year a hell of alot more people will not be able to give any more money over the the goveremt,as they wont have it to hand over.

They should stop paying the german bondholders,and they should step in and put a cap on the fuel prices right now,if they are truely serious about this country and its domestic economy.That would be a start.

The current domestic economy needs to be looked at and sorted 1st.

......."Charity begins at home".......

It's people like you that make me weep for this country. Your ignorant, uneducated "ze bondholders" stance on everything is why we have elected officials making the tough, unpopular decisions to keep this country afloat. And thank god for that. I shudder to think what someone like you in power would do to this country.

Anyway, back on topic, I spend about €85 to fill a 55 litre tank of petrol and that lasts me 4 to 5 weeks. So at current prices, about €900-1100 per year on fuel. Pretty happy with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Moved to Irish Economy.

Elessar wrote: »
    It's people like you that make me weep for this country. Your ignorant, uneducated "ze bondholders" stance on everything is why we have elected officials making the tough, unpopular decisions to keep this country afloat. And thank god for that. I shudder to think what someone like you in power would do to this country.

Anyway, back on topic, I spend about €85 to fill a 55 litre tank of petrol and that lasts me 4 to 5 weeks. So at current prices, about €900-1100 per year on fuel. Pretty happy with that.

Watch the Vincent Brown show that I have linked to above and on the previous page.

Listen carefully to what Colm McCarthy says (about the ECB and also the IMF) and then what front bench minister Pat Rabbit says and admits too with regards the ECB,European Courts of Justice and the money paid to the German bondholders.;)

How far does things have to go in this country before everyone stands and say enough is enough.

Fuel costs to go above 2 euro???
    Huge property taxes?
    Big water bills??

How far do things have to go then???????

Watch the Vincent Brown show that I have linked to above and on the previous page.

Listen carefully to what Colm McCarthy says (about the ECB and also the IMF) and then what front bench minister Pat Rabbit says and admits too with regards the ECB,European Courts of Justice and the money paid to the German bondholders.;)

How far does things have to go in this country before everyone stands and say enough is enough.

Fuel costs to go above 2 euro???
    Huge property taxes?
    Big water bills??

How far do things have to go then???????

Really, you seem to be missing the point!

Without the bailout we are still spending far more than we are taking in.

Welfare 20 billion a year, civil service sick bill 550 million a year, etc.

The IMF have insisted this must be brought under control, and there will be HUGE cuts in the next budget. And welfare has to get cut there is no other way it's our single biggest bill.

How much do you pay for fuel Paddy147 ?

Really, you seem to be missing the point!

Without the bailout we are still spending far more than we are taking in.

Welfare 20 billion a year, civil service sick bill 550 million a year, etc.

The IMF have insisted this must be brought under control, and there will be HUGE cuts in the next budget. And welfare has to get cut there is no other way it's our single biggest bill.

How much do you pay for fuel Paddy147 ?

So if you placed a bet on a horse in the bookies,and you lost,would you then go to the bookies and demand that you get your money back?

Would you threaten the bookie for your money back???

You really need to watch and leisten to what McCarthy uncovers on the ECB and what he states and then watch and listen to what Pat Rabbit admits to.

The IMF also recognise that we dont have to pay back the bond holders.

Those billions could be used to do something with the "Irish domestic economy".

...."charity begins at home"....

Im paying 1 euro 67 cents,as of the other day.

So if you placed a bet on a horse in the bookies,and you lost,would you then go to the bookies and demand that you get your money back?

Would you threaten the bookie for your money back???

You really need to watch and leisten to what McCarthy uncovers on the ECB and what he states and then watch and listen to what Pat Rabbit admits to.

The IMF also recognise that we dont have to pay back the bond holders.

Those billions could be used to do something with the "Irish domestic economy".

...."charity begins at home"....

Im paying 1 euro 67 cents,as of the other day.

Sorry Paddy I meant how much do you spend on fuel per week ?

I will watch the program, but it doesn't matter, we still need to take in a lot more tax to keep the country a float and with 450,000 unemployed that means more tax for the working man, but also for the unemployed who also pay tax on everything they buy, not forgetting that.

The trick is getting people back into training, there is lots of work in I.T and in language jobs. Science etc. But a lot of people would rather emigrate than re train.

The bank loans can be paid back over 100 years like the Germans did after the war.

The best think the Government could do right now is to spend money on a proper Broadband infrastructure like fibre and not ****ty 4g crap, our future relies on fibre, But the backward government still see transport as a higher priority piece of infrastructure and broadband is crucial to Ireland's economy as our future is going to be very much high tech.

No point complaining about what is done, we need to concentrate on regaining our title as the best economic success story in the world, we did it before and we can do it again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

agree to the above poster ^^ about broadband and technologies infractructure,best bet is to invest into production this is where the economy kicks in,as something is created then people need to be hired to produce and assemble.As for re-training part its very difficult you wont teach someone whos in their 30s beyond microsoft word or call center skills if they never were interested in IT as it got so far ahead in last couple years that by the time you finish college theres a new programming language invented,even hardware is improving every 3-6 months in terms of nanotechnology and power.And someone who had a job with 30k+ wages hardly will retrain to work basic job for 8e an hour,thats why anyone who got a degree will emigrate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement