Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cost of petrol

Comments

scamalert wrote: »
    agree to the above poster ^^ about broadband and technologies infractructure,best bet is to invest into production this is where the economy kicks in,as something is created then people need to be hired to produce and assemble.As for re-training part its very difficult you wont teach someone whos in their 30s beyond microsoft word or call center skills if they never were interested in IT as it got so far ahead in last couple years that by the time you finish college theres a new programming language invented,even hardware is improving every 3-6 months in terms of nanotechnology and power.And someone who had a job with 30k+ wages hardly will retrain to work basic job for 8e an hour,thats why anyone who got a degree will emigrate.

You don't have to go to college to work in all aspects of I.T, You can learn it.

There are loads of jobs in I.T and science. The industry is crying out for people and for languages.

Hardware is improving sure, but the basics are the same, you've a motherboard, memory, processor etc. sure the architecture changes, for instance gpu and CPU, and memory controller on same CPU etc. you still need an os, drivers etc.
    It doesn't matter that hardware gets more powerful.

I have being playing with hardware since the days of the 486. And it's a hobby as well as a job. And I don't have a degree. Sure I left it late to get into the industry but I was making money where I was and no I wasn't working in anything related to building.

I can't program, I think most people are either hardware or software abled.
    People need to realise that the building related jobs are gone, so they can't just sit around hoping for another building boom, emigration doesn't have to be an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

You don't have to go to college to work in all aspects of I.T, You can learn it.

There are loads of jobs in I.T and science. The industry is crying out for people and for languages.

Hardware is improving sure, but the basics are the same, you've a motherboard, memory, processor etc. sure the architecture changes, for instance gpu and CPU, and memory controller on same CPU etc. you still need an os, drivers etc.
    It doesn't matter that hardware gets more powerful.

I have being playing with hardware since the days of the 486. And it's a hobby as well as a job. And I don't have a degree. Sure I left it late to get into the industry but I was making money where I was and no I wasn't working in anything related to building.

I can't program, I think most people are either hardware or software abled.
    People need to realize that the building related jobs are gone, so they can't just sit around hoping for another building boom, emigration doesn't have to be an option.
    yes the building boom is gone that was the main driver of the Celtic tiger.
    but can you give examples where i put text in bold-what sort of jobs do you have in mind that one could be trained in 6-12 months for IT and science ?
    Also drivers boggles my mind even to think of ,what programming language do you learn as theres over 20+ to choose from,what OS do you train on,what architecture x86 x64 server ?Once ive seen a c++ code for windows clock the round one when you open it.it had over 50 thousand lines of code in it :eek: as for hardware anyone can put pc together these days no need more then day or two training.
    So i do see where you coming from but all those jobs are already relocated to countries such as India,even the call centers are cheaper to run from Africa then here.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭OnTheCounter

Jaysus.

yes the building boom is gone that was the main driver of the Celtic tiger.
    but can you give examples where i put text in bold-what sort of jobs do you have in mind that one could be trained in 6-12 months for IT and science ?
    Also drivers boggles my mind even to think of ,what programming language do you learn as theres over 20+ to choose from,what OS do you train on,what architecture x86 x64 server ?Once ive seen a c++ code for windows clock the round one when you open it.it had over 50 thousand lines of code in it :eek: as for hardware anyone can put pc together these days no need more then day or two training.
    So i do see where you coming from but all those jobs are already relocated to countries such as India,even the call centers are cheaper to run from Africa then here.

Well I didn't say it would take 6 months ? or did I, I don't think so. But Not anyone can put together a pc these days and load an os and drivers, etc. Not someone new to computers.

I work in the cloud and I got to tell you there are people with years experience that come in now and again for to cover holidays and they are baffled as they have never worked on the hardware before. We got some serious power in the servers. Most of them are virtual, we work mostly on a hardware level. The machines are unique and nobody unless working in the company can work on the machines.

For instance the machines I work on have no documentation and you have to learn the commands to diagnose and set up the hardware, they are unique to the manufacturer and there is 0 documentation anywhere on them. They are a bitch to work on sometimes.

I've yet to come across anyone who can learn to put a P.C together load os and drivers etc in 2 days. Unless of course you learned it yourself like I did and many others that's different.

There are jobs out there I found one and I've no degree, sure I got a cert, but so what I knew me hardware. And at the interview I could prove it. But I wouldn't have got the job without at least the Comptia A+ despite the fact the course didn't teach me anything I didn't already know. It just had to be done. And a college degree wouldn't have meant s**t as no one would have seen the hardware before!

Science is different I didn't say you could do that in 6 months. I said the jobs are there and people have to re train. re educate whatever.

Just because someone is in their 30's or whatever doesn't mean they can't re educate. 30 is a long way away from 65.:) 30's is still young!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭books4sale

Nice...what have all these recent posts got to do with the cost of petrol?

Wondering how a simple question morphed into 10 different topics on the economy over 4 pages yet only about 5 people actually gave an idea how much they spent on petrol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Petrol doesn't need to be expensive as it is, it is a natural product made by the earth. But the product unfortunately is being sold by human beings, and we know human beings do not sell things for no gain. That is why you have high petrol prices it is mainly about greed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

paddy147 wrote: »
    Watch the Vincent Brown show that I have linked to above and on the previous page.

Listen carefully to what Colm McCarthy says (about the ECB and also the IMF) and then what front bench minister Pat Rabbit says and admits too with regards the ECB,European Courts of Justice and the money paid to the German bondholders.;)

How far does things have to go in this country before everyone stands and say enough is enough.

Fuel costs to go above 2 euro???
    Huge property taxes?
    Big water bills??

How far do things have to go then???????

The fact is rich people who control everything will do everything in their power to keep their standard of living as it is while the rest of us suffer. No different to what went on in the past. Study history. Who is benefiting from this crisis and who isn't there you will find the answers as to why we are were we are.

The main reasons for the high petrol and diesel prices is the tax and a weakening Euro.

Heating oil is also nearly 1000 euros for a full tank. And they have carbon tax on that the bast***s!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

DanWall wrote: »
    Everytime the price of fuel goes up the percentage take on tax goes up, people will have to change their life style, obtain work near home, live near towns an villages so there is not so much reliance on cars to live and go to the shops etc.

I am particularly concerned about heating oil, I suspect other fuels such as coal follows the trend and goes up because there is less competion. It would be nice to live near a forest and collect my own wind blow wood for nothing.

So your saying everyone should get jobs locally and can get jobs locally :rolleyes:

Most work is in Dublin and I can't find work here locally. No work in Carlow, Kildare area at all for me. Believe me the las thing I want to do is drive 10 hours a week for work.

I'd be on me electric bike if I could the potential for proper electric bikes is huge.

Even the Renault Twizy has huge potential for local driving and you can retrofit windows if that bothers you. But the bikes are the cheapest and fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Wondering how a simple question morphed into 10 different topics on the economy over 4 pages yet only about 5 people actually gave an idea how much they spent on petrol.

Because some idiots and cranks would start an argument in an empty room.

It gets even more bewildering, when you realise that this thread started in Motors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I spend about 3k a year. If petrol went up to €2, I'd pay about €3450.

The extra tax on my income the past few years is far far more significant than €2 /L would be!

Who I feel sorry for are the hauliers etc.

Not saying they shold get a free pass etc., but some form of a cushion against rising fuel prices would be in everyone's interest, surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I don't see why the government could not lump the hauliers in with the farmers and allow them the use of the cheaper form of diesel.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

It gets even more bewildering, when you realise that this thread started in Motors.

What happens when fuel goes up and up and up???

Food goes up,heating proces goes up,living in general goes up.

So fuel is directly linked to everything else in our economy and how we live on a daily basis.

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    I don't see why the government could not lump the hauliers in with the farmers and allow them the use of the cheaper form of diesel.

FG/Labour only look one way,as they constantly have their "blinkers" on.:rolleyes:

Fuel keeps on going up,haulage companies go bust,staff are let go from ones that do survive,food prices go up too(due to higher transport/haulage coats).

Ah sure FG/Labour think thats the way to do things in this country.

If they allowed them use the cheaper diesel it would be a hammer blow for illegal activity and do away with Gardai and customs having to pull over trucks on the side of the road when they could be better utilised. I only see positives with it as higher fuel costs also drive up other costs like food as a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Fuel keeps on going up,haulage companies go bust,staff are let go from ones that do survive,food prices go up too(due to higher transport/haulage coats).

So what other taxes or cuts do you propose that would have a lower economic impact?

ardmacha wrote: »
    So what other taxes or cuts do you propose that would have a lower economic impact?

Giving hauliers he same exemption as farmers is not going to put a hole in the deficit. It will keep people in work and may keep inflation on goods and food down. It would also reduce the need for customs and Gardai being employed to carry out checks on roadside when they could be used elsewhere and more effectively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Giving hauliers he same exemption as farmers is not going to put a hole in the deficit

Probably not possible to allow hauliers use green diesel. If they went to Newry they'd be arrested and so the measure would discriminate against people in border areas and NI hauliers and is probably illegal under EU provisions.

Eliminating green diesel entirely seems a better idea, with tax rebates, but as I understand it heating oil is the problem here.

Probably because there are more farmers in the dail than hauliers!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

its going to go up eventually to 2.00 and 3.00 before we know it,as it stands it is at 1.60 at one petrol station i was looking at called XL in clare steet limerick.

Nah, I was thinking more in terms of tax credits, rather than green diesel.

Come to think of it, there's something to be said for doing the same for farmers too.

Both groups have to do their taxes on an annual basis already-and this business of people running 5 series Beemers on the green stuff should be nipped in the bud.

ardmacha wrote: »

Cutting /capping fuel costs and prices would be a start.

if the domestic economy doesnt get bump started then this country is totally fcuked.

So cutting fuel costs will be a start.......more money put into the domestic economy is what is needed.

Take the money that we dont have to pay the bondholders back with (look at the Vincent Brown show and link to see what I mean and am saying),and stick all that money into the domestic economy and into ACTUALLY creating jobs too...(not just talking about and saying 100,000 jobs)

Cutting /capping fuel costs and prices would be a start.

if the domestic economy doesnt get bump started then this country is totally fcuked.

So cutting fuel costs will be a start.......more money put into the domestic economy is what is needed.

Take the money that we dont have to pay the bondholders back with (look at the Vincent Brown show and link to see what I mean and am saying),and stick all that money into the domestic economy and into ACTUALLY creating jobs too...(not just talking about and saying 100,000 jobs)

Paddy, I'll say it again mate. Even if the bank debt didn't exist how can we spend money if we don't have it ? with the boom gone the loss of revenue is tremendous! And no one with any cop on will loan us money at any kind of a decent interest rate.

20 Billion to welfare is taking a huge chunk out of what we can spend.

Quote from the Times Aug 26th

"IRELAND RANKS among the EU countries with the lowest tax revenues and only Slovakia has lower revenues in the euro zone, a new study has found."

SO we should think of this before we bitch about tax.

Property tax and water tax have been in most countries for decades!

So getting 20 odd billion euro back off the ECB and bondholders that we shoud have never paid (via the European Courts of Justice) cannot be put into the "domestic economy"...and it wouldnt do anything for the domestic economy then???

Capping fuel costs,so that various companies dont go bust or lay off more staff,and also that food and goods prices dont go up and up cant be done???

Ok so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Since the start of the year I've spent c1.1k on petrol and travelled c 5.2k miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭benjydagg

VW Tiguan 2012 Diesel.
    Since the start of June 13000km.
    Approx €1300.
    So annually that would be €6,200.

benjydagg wrote: »
    VW Tiguan 2012 Diesel.
    Approx €1300.

6200 ?

over how many miles ? I take it the tiguan does about 40 mpg ?

Do you not think that's a silly amount to pay on fuel, or do you think you could have bought a more fuel efficient car or does it bother you ?

• Advertisement

Mad_Lad wrote: »
    VW Tiguan 2012 Diesel.
    Approx €1300.

6200 ?

over how many miles ? I take it the tiguan does about 40 mpg ?

Do you not think that's a silly amount to pay on fuel, or do you think you could have bought a more fuel efficient car or does it bother you ?
    My work is 47 miles from home. And I have to drive from the office to farms and back. 40 mpg is the average. Lucky to have a job. But, 25% of my take home pay is now spent on fuel. Should I full time farm??? NO. I did that for long enough.
    I must supply a car for my job, so I need a certain amount of comfort to spend 3 hours per day in it.

My work is 47 miles from home. And I have to drive from the office to farms and back. 40 mpg is the average. Lucky to have a job. But, 25% of my take home pay is now spent on fuel. Should I full time farm??? NO. I did that for long enough.
    I must supply a car for my job, so I need a certain amount of comfort to spend 3 hours per day in it.

Its different for you though as you can claim back a large part of that as it is used for work through tax.

Do you also get € for milage?

no ones speaking about how much fuel they put in because this topic is in politics section.As for blaming government can someone 100% accurately tell how much tax % is put on 1 liter petrol ? and whats the price of getting one barrel of oil out of the ground approximately,and then add the price of converting it into diesel/petrol and shipping it over here.not knowing these numbers only total idiots can blame everything on government FG/labour bondholders,banks and any names they come up with :cool:
    some examples:packet of fags doesnt cost 0.20c to produce,1l of beer about 1-3 cents,ounce of gold to extract about 600$,so one could think if its so cheap then it must be taxes that make it so expensive,and thats what any paddy will think.

no ones speaking about how much fuel they put in because this topic is in politics section.As for blaming government can someone 100% accurately tell how much tax % is put on 1 liter petrol ? and whats the price of getting one barrel of oil out of the ground approximately,and then add the price of converting it into diesel/petrol and shipping it over here.not knowing these numbers only total idiots can blame everything on government FG/labour bondholders,banks and any names they come up with :cool:
    some examples:packet of fags doesnt cost 0.20c to produce,1l of beer about 1-3 cents,ounce of gold to extract about 600$,so one could think if its so cheap then it must be taxes that make it so expensive,and thats what any paddy will think.

Its something like 60 cents to the Goverment per litre..according to the chap in the local Statoil Station.

Just came accross this from the AA,while googling....

So the AA must be idiots too??

http://www.thejournal.ie/how-much-have-fuel-prices-risen-in-ireland-recently-and-why-371841-Mar2012/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,043 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

VW Tiguan 2012 Diesel.
    Approx €1300.

Do you really need such a big lump of a thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Its pricey enough when it go up again. I usually try to manage the amount of petrol I use and only spend it when I need it. Either once every three-four weeks at least once a month anyway, depends how much driving I am doing I suppose though might need to top up in between if running low. Its fairly efficient though.

Its different for you though as you can claim back a large part of that as it is used for work through tax.

Do you also get € for milage?
    I get mileage from work to clients and back. No one gets mileage to and from work. There are no tax concessions for having a car, that I am aware of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

"IRELAND RANKS among the EU countries with the lowest tax revenues and only Slovakia has lower revenues in the euro zone, a new study has found."

SO we should think of this before we bitch about tax.

Property tax and water tax have been in most countries for decades!

Does that include the total tax take for the country including corporation tax?
    If so, I wonder how we'd compare to other count the corpo tax was raised to over 20%.

No one gets mileage to and from work.

Apart from TDs....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RoverZT

How about don't spend 30 - 35 k a on a new motor if your watching the pennies :D

What kinda of a clown spends 35k on a motor and doesn't have money/doesn't want to fuel it?

No sympathy here.

RoverZT wrote: »
    How about don't spend 30 - 35 k a on a new motor if your watching the pennies :D

What kinda of a clown spends 35k on a motor and doesn't have money/doesn't want to fuel it?

No sympathy here.
    Originally Posted by benjydagg viewpost.gif
    VW Tiguan 2012 Diesel.
    Approx €1300.

2012 jeep and complaining here :pac: should be banned at least.

Heroditas wrote: »
    Does that include the total tax take for the country including corporation tax?
    If so, I wonder how we'd compare to other count the corpo tax was raised to over 20%.

Tax revenue compared to GDP.

Tax revenue compared to GDP.

I know that.
    My question though is: does that tax revenue include corporation tax?

Target Express Courriers/Logistics are now gone,as of today.

400 lads/lasses now gonna end up on the dole

I know that.

Quote from the article

"Strong growth until 2007 offset the impact of the 12.5 per cent corporate tax rate, the EU’s second-lowest after Bulgaria and Cyprus (both 10 per cent)."

So I assume it does include corporation tax.

• Advertisement

Target Express Courriers/Logistics are now gone,as of today

Leo Varadkar was on Matt Cooper today and said any reduction on fuel tax for hauliers would be passed on to the tax payer, so I'm assuming he meant if they reduced tax for hauliers, etc, then it would go up for us.

But really the cars and fuel is so heavily taxed that it makes no sense to increase it further.

It's time to start thinking LPG or Electric!

Mad_Lad wrote: »
    I know that.

Quote from the article

"Strong growth until 2007 offset the impact of the 12.5 per cent corporate tax rate, the EU’s second-lowest after Bulgaria and Cyprus (both 10 per cent)."

So I assume it does include corporation tax.

Thanks.
    Wonder how the ratio to GDP would look if we aligned our corporation tax with the likes or Germany or the UK!!!
    I must do it some time when I get a few free minutes.

Thanks.
    Wonder how the ratio to GDP would look if we aligned our corporation tax with the likes or Germany or the UK!!!
    I must do it some time when I get a few free minutes.

Well in Ireland it's all about the working man paying, the companies will threaten to pull out, the usual crap if the Government tries to increase it, same with any oil they find the % taken in will be minuscule compared to the profits made.

We should have a refinery in Ireland to be able to produce our own petrol and diesel if the finds are sufficient enough. We don't even have our own oil exploration company, so everything found will be profited by big companies!

Sometimes I think we would be far better off with the German's controlling our finances because they have proved to be well capable of managing their own and we have failed time and time again and that is unlikely to change!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

its going to go up eventually to 2.00 and 3.00 before we know it,as it stands it is at 1.60 at one petrol station i was looking at called XL in clare steet limerick.

Would anyone have a record of pump prices for the last couple of weeks?

From the information above & my own station this morning, there's been a jump of 6.2% in the last week.

I want to track it for a while & will publish results here if anyone is interested.

If we could go back to the start of August (to start with), it would be great.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

OU812 wrote: »
    Would anyone have a record of pump prices for the last couple of weeks?

From the information above & my own station this morning, there's been a jump of 6.2% in the last week.

I want to track it for a while & will publish results here if anyone is interested.

If we could go back to the start of August (to start with), it would be great.

Thanks

You can get average price statistics off pumps.ie.

• Advertisement
Advertisement