Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First child in creche

Options
  • 24-08-2012 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭

Out of curiosity how much does a crèche cost in Dublin where both parents have a 9-5 Monday to Friday and no family nearby to help out?

What is the average age where a child enters a crèche for the first time and roughly how many hours would you say a child of two parents who work full time spends in a creche per week?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

1080 was the cost for a full time place in the creche that we used.
    Anyhting from about 900 + is normal though.

Mothers often go back to work when the child is 9 months old and maternity leave is over.
    I think it depends on the commute my daughters was in creche 9-5:30 every day because it was very near my office. If we choose a creche near home she would have been there 7.55 - 6:45 unless we changed our hours to one doing early and one doing lates. (8 and 9:30)
    I would think 8-18:00/18:30 would be normal though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Paid maternity leave ends at 6 months. For some mums that is when baby is 5 months old (you have to take two weeks prior to due date off by law, and baby can be up to 2 weeks overdue). You can take another 4 months unpaid. So age of creche for working parents usually starts anywhere between 5 months and ten months, depending on whether they can afford to take the unpaid leave. I could not afford it as my company didn't top up the state maternity benefit, so we were stony broke at the end of maternity leave. We needed my income to pay the mortgage.

You have asked about Dublin, but in Cork, our creche costs 50 euro per day, adding another 5 euro if you want them to provide a lunch. So 275 per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

My son went into creche at 5.5 months as we had moved back to Ireland from abroad and I got a job almost immediately. His creche take them from 4 months, until recently most were 8-9 months going in but with the recession more people can't afford the unpaid leave and are starting them earlier. It cost €1050 a month, we provided food until he was 1 and formula until he was on cow's milk. He now gets breakfast, dinner and tea in there. He is 20 months now and is moving out of the wobbler room into the Montessori area next month at which point the cost goes down to €905. My creche opens 7.30-18.30 and I do all the collecting as my husband starts and finishes work outside these hours. I work a 35 hour week and only take a 30 min lunch so with the creche being close to my job he is usually there 8.30 - 17.00 each day.

Advertisement