Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DESPISE my workmates!

Options
  • 24-08-2012 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭

I have a problem thats making my work life pretty miserable, I have a good job that has a lot of benefits (sick pay, health insurance, generous leave etc) but the thing is I hate 90% of my workmates, most of the women are shallow, loud and ignorant bitches that talk about nothing but their latest Facebook update and what clothes to wear and if you arent like them they just cut you out and only mix with their own clique. A lot of the men are slackers and love winding up the women just for a laugh which leads to a large part of the workday being made up of loud and very annoying banter which makes it v hard to concentrate.

I know I should be grateful for having a job but I have only 4 people max who I can have a decent chat with, literally the rest are shallow and cliquey jerks who just put people in boxes and judge them on whether they have Facebook (women) or can drink them under the table (men), they havent a brain cell in their heads and being cooped up with these creatures for 8hrs a day is getting me down, any advice??

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

Get me a job there dude and Ill make your working day wonderful ;) ..........seriously though dude count ureself lucky, its not easy being out of work.....................just ignore all the nonsense and get on with your day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Four people you can get on with at work is pretty good. It shouldn't really be a social situation. Work is not college, for example. Can't really advise anything other than suck it up : /

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭mickgotsick

I told you that bitch was crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 stelli

It's work...they aren't your friends..so why worry?
    Join in every now and again to be friendly....they won't change...so make the best of it!

At least you have four people to have a decent chat with! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭breffni666

Just ride through it. No point in generating lots of negative energy on these wasters. Hopefully home/social life make up for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

Is it possible to stick on a pair of headphones and listen to music while you work? Or is there a manager you can talk to who can tell them to keep the noise levels down?

Other than that, all I can suggest is that you suck it up and try your best to do your job. Don't even try to be friends with them - be polite and professional but don't seek out their company. Construct an imaginary wall between you and them. Try to consign them to inane background noise that happens to be in your workplace and has nothing to do with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yup, been there. I had that in a student job once: the women talked about different stuff back then (pre everyone having computers), but it was the same thing.

Basically you have to decide if it bugs you enough to make you look for a new job, or if you can cope well enough and get your social interaction outside work

Treasure those four people.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I have worked for a number of different employers. I know how you feel about working with people who you have nothing in common with, are brain dead or think that they are cool when they are far from it.
    Your lucky to have 4 people who you would count as friends as this was more than in some of the places I worked in. One place I worked in had a lot of young people who were major drinkers and drug takers. Some days half of them would be missing leaving the rest of us to do there jobs. One day I had a supervisor come in who was coming down from something the night before. My friend who was also a supervisor told them to go home and they would cover for them. If the boss came in they would have been fired.
    From this place I gained two very close friends and when we met up outside we would have a good laugh about this person and that thing.
    You just have to remember that work is part of life and not all of your life. You have a few friends here so why should you leave a good job just because you have a few idiot work mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mtjm

I have a problem thats making my work life pretty miserable, I have a good job that has a lot of benefits (sick pay, health insurance, generous leave etc) but the thing is I hate 90% of my workmates, most of the women are shallow, loud and ignorant bitches that talk about nothing but their latest Facebook update and what clothes to wear and if you arent like them they just cut you out and only mix with their own clique. A lot of the men are slackers and love winding up the women just for a laugh which leads to a large part of the workday being made up of loud and very annoying banter which makes it v hard to concentrate.

I know I should be grateful for having a job but I have only 4 people max who I can have a decent chat with, literally the rest are shallow and cliquey jerks who just put people in boxes and judge them on whether they have Facebook (women) or can drink them under the table (men), they havent a brain cell in their heads and being cooped up with these creatures for 8hrs a day is getting me down, any advice??

OP as others have said your lucky to have a job etc.. to but it blunty I work with bunch of retarts, egos dimewits incompetent sh1t who don't know how to clean up after themself in the Staff Canteen and they are bunch of clique to which I hate with a passion. other that that I like my job (as quoted by some bus drivers, if it wasn't for the skulls in this place it'll be a great place to work for)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

Look for another job. I know a guy who was in the Civil Service had a nervous breakdown after years of listening to endless talk of English soccer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭strife

Suck it up!
    Nobody likes the people they work with its just a fact of life.
    You can pick your friends but you can’t pick your family...or your work mates.

Try to resist them temptation to bring a machete to work and invest in learning how to ignore people!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I wonder how many people went into business for themselves who were spurred on by what the OP is talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Kosseegan wrote: »
    Look for another job. I know a guy who was in the Civil Service had a nervous breakdown after years of listening to endless talk of English soccer.

Wow that seems a bit extreme, had he nobody else to chat to??

Thanks for the replies guys, I know its a fact that you cant really choose your workmates and many of them are annoying but when you see the same cliques talking the same old crap every day you start to question if its you thats the problem and that everyone else loves their workmates, I know thats not the case but when you are with them 8hrs every day its hard to remember! Im going to make an effort with my mates outside of work so as not to put too much store by my workmates because they are never gonna change, its the same thing day in day out (football, Facebook updates, how drunk they got), and management are cowards that tolerate the unfriendly atmosphere. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

its the same thing day in day out (football, Facebook updates, how drunk they got), and management are cowards that tolerate the unfriendly atmosphere. :(

Your employers aren't obliged to provide a friendly atmosphere, all they are obliged to do is make sure nobody is being bullied or harassed in any way.

While I don't agree with the "Sure aren't you lucky you even have a job?" stock response that seems to be the answer to everything these days, it does seem that your complaint is pretty minor in the grand scheme of things. Your main issue seems to be that you don't have anything in common with your colleagues? To be blunt, so what? They're not your friends, you don't have to like them. I spent 2.5 years in a job with people I would not choose to spend a second of my own time with. I was just completely mercenary about it. Go in, do your work, then go home and forget about them. Presumably no-one is forcing you to engage with them on anything more than a professional basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Your employers aren't obliged to provide a friendly atmosphere, all they are obliged to do is make sure nobody is being bullied or harassed in any way.

While I don't agree with the "Sure aren't you lucky you even have a job?" stock response that seems to be the answer to everything these days, it does seem that your complaint is pretty minor in the grand scheme of things. Your main issue seems to be that you don't have anything in common with your colleagues? To be blunt, so what? They're not your friends, you don't have to like them. I spent 2.5 years in a job with people I would not choose to spend a second of my own time with. I was just completely mercenary about it. Go in, do your work, then go home and forget about them. Presumably no-one is forcing you to engage with them on anything more than a professional basis.

I agree that I am not forced to engage with them (I go out of my way not to in fact) but the way of the working world is that if you are in the clique and popular, basically "one of the gang", you will always be treated much better than someone who hasnt got much in common with the clique. Basically, your mistakes arent tolerated, your professional questions are met with rude replies and your advice is ignored when you arent in the gang whereas members of the clique are welcomed with open arms. Personal dislike will always over ride a desire to be professional, sadly.

I do take the point though that its best to just go in and do your job then forget about it..

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Ant

Basically, your mistakes arent tolerated, your professional questions are met with rude replies and your advice is ignored when you arent in the gang whereas members of the clique are welcomed with open arms.

I've been lucky in the past that I've always got on well with most of the people that I worked with. So much so, that I stayed in badly paid jobs with bad working conditions a lot longer than I shoud have because I got on well with my co-workers. Your relationships will colleagues, whether good or bad, does make a big difference to the third of your life that you spend at work.

The social (or not) aspect is unfortunately already affecting your professional interactions with these people and I'd imagine that will ultimately lead to job dissatisfaction. If I were you, I'd be at least keeping an eye out for another job. It's a lot easier to get a job when you already have one.

Advertisement