Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Gun Control - To Strict?

• 24-08-2012 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Dublin native now living in Montana for the last 6 years.

I used to have no interest in guns when I lived in Ireland apart from the odd Saturday clay pigeon shooting, so this was a non-issue for me.

After moving to Montana, I quickly learned that most homes around here have at least one gun & gun ownership is very common, a lot of locals believe it is a head of households responsibility to to own a gun in order to protect ones family & property - both as a deterrent & as a last resort.

Some of the common themes in the pro-ownership argument are:

1. Strict gun control laws means that only criminals are then armed, law abiding citizens are unable to defend themselves. Lives could have been saved during the recent tragic shootings in the US, if just one armed & trained individual was present.

2. If a home-invasion occurs while you are at home, you can call the police, however while they are at best minutes away, seconds count during an a situation like this & you are on your own.

3. A ban strips your rights & freedom, if you are not a criminal, are responsible & enjoy guns then why should you be prevented from legally owning them. Being responsible means extensive mandatory training & passing a exam before being issued with a licence. Committing a felony over here strips you of the right to ever legally own a gun, as it should be.

I'll admit when I first got here, we where a little concerned about just how many guns where in circulation & how easy it was to get one (background check + training + cooling off period), after listening to the pro / con arguments I am more in favor of "relaxed" gun laws - within reason. I believe people should have a right to defend themselves, their families & their property, they should not be forced into submitting to thugs who can act without any worries.

Self defense aside, hunting & time spent at the range is a big family and community bonding experience over here, a lot of people go to the range after work for sport & to de-stress....sending a few dozen rounds down range is great to make you forget about work.

Just wondering what people back home think about the current gun laws & the limitations such as the blanket ban on handguns, rifles limited to .22 & the slow / non-transparent process associated with obtaining a firearms licence?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

codex1 wrote: »
    Just wondering what people back home think about the current gun laws & the limitations such as the blanket ban on handguns, rifles limited to .22 & the slow / non-transparent process associated with obtaining a firearms licence?

There's no blanket ban on handguns(you can have 5 shot .22lrs) and rifles aren't limited to .22 anymore and the speed of the licence depends on your district, I got both mine within 2 weeks.

AH really isn't the place for a logical discussion on this:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

I used to have no interest in guns when I lived in Ireland apart from the odd Saturday clay pigeon shooting, so this was a non-issue for me.

After moving to Montana, I quickly learned that most homes around here have at least one gun & gun ownership is very common, a lot of locals believe it is a head of households responsibility to to own a gun in order to protect ones family & property - both as a deterrent & as a last resort.

1. Strict gun control laws means that only criminals are then armed, law abiding citizens are unable to defend themselves. Lives could have been saved during the recent tragic shootings in the US, if just one armed & trained individual was present.

2. If a home-invasion occurs while you are at home, you can call the police, however while they are at best minutes away, seconds count during an a situation like this & you are on your own.

3. A ban strips your rights & freedom, if you are not a criminal, are responsible & enjoy guns then why should you be prevented from legally owning them. Being responsible means extensive mandatory training & passing a exam before being issued with a licence. Committing a felony over here strips you of the right to ever legally own a gun, as it should be.

I'll admit when I first got here, we where a little concerned about just how many guns where in circulation & how easy it was to get one (background check + training + cooling off period), after listening to the pro / con arguments I am more in favor of "relaxed" gun laws - within reason. I believe people should have a right to defend themselves, their families & their property, they should not be forced into submitting to thugs who can act without any worries.

The problem is that most people are idiots. I don't want to see most people wandering around with guns in their pockets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Lets see - gun massacre in Chicago overnight and New York today.

To answer your question. No. Our gun laws are not too tight - they are fine thank you very much.

TheBody wrote: »
    The problem is that most people are idiots. I don't want to see most people wandering around with guns in their pockets.

I have to agree with this, there are some people who should not have access to firearms. I say that as a firearm owner, I would like to see more freedom for those who have been approved to hold firearms but not that everyone and anyone can go buy one over the counter. The laws here are too tight but sure it's better than nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Well the problem as I see it is that there was one armed and trained person present and he shot a load of people.
    As long as the other guy isn't armed he's going to get a hammer in the face.
    Being drunk or just simply emotional means you could end up using that gun on someone for no good reason. Aren't many murders crimes of passion where some ones caught cheating?
    So what if it's limited to a .22, they can still kill plenty of things, why do you need a long range assault riffle to defend your home? You don't it's ridiculous, the reason Americans have them is because they're cool and they're in call of duty. I'd love a gun but I've been stupid with an airsoft gun never mind a proper gun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I have 2 rilfes and a shotgun, in my opinion yeah we are to severe here. People don't know much about guns here and think that if you have more than one, you are some type of gun nut. Whereas each gun is specific for a set task, and if you enjoy different types of shooting you need different types of gun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,530 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

to strict what?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭codex1

Lets see - gun massacre in Chicago overnight and New York today.

To answer your question. No. Our gun laws are not too tight - they are fine thank you very much.

Is't that the problem though? No one was able to defend themselves? (devils advocate)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Odysseus wrote: »
    I have 2 rilfes and a shotgun, in my opinion yeah we are to severe here. People don't know much about guns here and think that if you have more than one, you are some type of gun nut. Whereas each gun is specific for a set task, and if you enjoy different types of shooting you need different types of gun.

Like if you enjoy shooting up a crowd of people, you need an assault rifle.. or other fully automatic weapon.

Is't that the problem though? No one was able to defend themselves? (devils advocate)

Jesus don't start that discussion, a thread ran to nearly 50 pages a few weeks back talking about that point:pac:
    Like if you enjoy shooting up a crowd of people, you need an assault rifle.. or other fully automatic weapon.

Odysseus is in Ireland, where you need a reasons for each one and 'assault rifles' are banned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭PieForPi

Be like the USA? No no, no thank you.

There isn't an issue with criminals with guns here. We don't need to arm ourselves against them. The worst thing most people will face is a crowbar that a burglar is armed with, which they brought just to get into the house in the first place.

The US has an intentional homicide rate almost 4 times higher than ours, Britain's or Canada's. They can keep their guns.

For what it's worth, I fired a range of weapons while in the US ranging from small handguns to fully automatic machine guns. It was fun, but gun ownership for self-defense is incredibly retarded and I certainly hope we never see it available here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Possibly the worst time to argue for gun legalisation, using the US as an example after the Summer they've had with multiple civilian shootings (Denver, Chicago, Wisconsin, New York all in the past month)

To walk around with a gun requires a conceals weapons permit, they don't just hand those out - its up to your local police department who can get these (in addition to having to do a LOT of extra training & take an annual test).

Also, just because their are a lot of idiots out there (which I agree with), why should that prevent me from enjoying what I now consider to be an enjoyable sport as long as I respect the law & don't do anything foolish.

Anita Blow wrote: »
    Possibly the worst time to argue for gun legalisation, using the US as an example after the Summer they've had with multiple civilian shootings (Denver, Chicago, Wisconsin, New York all in the past month)
    And those are without even brushing the topic of single person murders at the hands of lunatics with guns and "accidents" such as people "cleaning their gun and it went off" that seem to happen an immense amount in the US.

Sounds like OP has been drinking in too much of the dumb US air over the past 6 years. The US is in no way a country we want to replicate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭sweeney1971

Knew of a guy in the UK a Farmer who was in his 90's, going blind, deaf, and could not wipe his own arse yet the Police gave him gun's. No one could understand why and it turns out he was an informer for the Police informing on his neighbour who was dealing in Red Diesel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

To walk around with a gun requires a conceals weapons permit, they don't just hand those out - its up to your local police department who can get these (in addition to having to do a LOT of extra training & take an annual test).

Also, just because their are a lot of idiots out there (which I agree with), why should that prevent me from enjoying what I now consider to be an enjoyable sport as long as I respect the law & don't do anything foolish.

In an ideal world, I agree with you. I would love for you and I to be able to enjoy any gun we want. However, I don't want to see the day where any joe can buy, for example, an automatic weaopn and possibly go mental when they snap some day.

In an ideal world, I agree with you. I would love for you and I to be able to enjoy any gun we want. However, I don't want to see the day where any joe can buy, for example, an automatic weaopn and possibly go mental when they snap some day.

You can't even buy an automatic weapon over the counter in the US so it's never gonna happen here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

Nope. No way. We need stricter gun control if anything. I am all for personal freedom but way more people will have freedom if there is no guns whatsoever. Just ask all the people who have been shot dead. :rolleyes:

Doesn't america have one of the highest rates of gun crime in the world?

PieForPi wrote: »
    And those are without even brushing the topic of single person murders at the hands of lunatics with guns and "accidents" such as people "cleaning their gun and it went off" that seem to happen an immense amount in the US.

Sounds like OP has been drinking in too much of the dumb US air over the past 6 years. The US is in no way a country we want to replicate.

Apart from being rude, what about all the people who have saved their lives by owning guns - every week there are stories in the paper here about a homeowner preventing a home invasion or attack through armed means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Bottom line is
    99% of burglars/muggers/home invaders here don't have guns so there is little need for the home owner to have a gun to fight back with.
    It's a different story when every Tom Dick and Harry has a 9mm tucked into his belt. In that situation, using your fists or even a knife is of little use. At least if you have a gun you stand a chance.
    This is where the problem is in America. Everyone has a gun so it makes sense to have one to protect yourself.
    I've no problem with a rational, sensible, responsible person having a gun at home to protect their family if the situation arises. But the problem is, the guns are too easy to acquire in the US, and clearly some mentally unstable people are able to get a gun license with ease. Afaik there is no psych evaluation prior to getting a permit. It's just a background check and you have the gun in a matter of days. The guns are getting into the wrong hands far too easily.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Having acess to guns for all who are permitted wouldent go down to well here,It will never happen, Be better of having a fully armed garda force,imo

Nope. No way. We need stricter gun control if anything. I am all for personal freedom but way more people will have freedom if there is no guns whatsoever. Just ask all the people who have been shot dead. :rolleyes:

What about all the people who have saved their families lives & property through gun ownership?

America has a high rate of gun crime, true but is also one of the largest countries in the world - you have to put this in context.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

There are some stupid things in Irish gun laws but the majority of them I wouldn't disagree with. I got my 2 guns with little hassle at all as I had a valid reasons for owning each one.

Your facts are also completely wrong too by the way as pointed out.

you can own a up to .30 cal on a normal licence.. What did you think people were shooting deer with ? :confused::confused:

You can also get a semi auto centre fire rifle or bigger cal than .30 on a restricted licence but you must prove valid reason for owning these where a bolt action wont do the same job.. Most of these involve an expensive court case. Fully auto aint legal though.

Pistols are now restricted to .22 5 shot but if you owned a bigger cal centre fire pistol before the law changed you can still own a centre pistol.

Dean09 wrote: »
    But the problem is, the guns are too easy to acquire in the US, and clearly some mentally unstable people are able to get a gun license with ease. Afaik there is no psych evaluation prior to getting a permit. It's just a background check and you have the gun in a matter of days.

If you're buying a shotgun or rifle from a shop in the US you don't even wait a few days, you fill out a 4473 form and your background check comes back in about 30mins and you walk out with it.

If you intend walking around with a pistol then you need a carry permit which takes longer.

Apart from being rude, what about all the people who have saved their lives by owning guns - every week there are stories in the paper here about a homeowner preventing a home invasion or attack through armed means.
    ...in the USA.

Whose necessity came about due to the stupid lack of gun control.

A murder rate 4x ours, Britains and Canada's. Note that. For every one person that dies of intentional homicide here, 4 die in the US. That is obscene. They can keep it and their f*cking "heroes" who use them to be honest.

I'd rather the current situation where we've overwhelmingly unarmed criminals and a lack of access to lethal weapons for people who crack under pressure/stress/etc and want to take it out on someone.

You need them in the US though because the constitution there basically allows anyone who hasn't gotten themselves a felony charge or booking in a mental facility to access lethal weapons. You're genuinely in danger of those around you having guns. We're not here and I'm happy to keep it that way.

Bottom line is
    99% of burglars/muggers/home invaders here don't have guns so there is little need for the home owner to have a gun to fight back with.

Not only that but most will run as soon as they hear a noise/believe someone is awake. They're not in to hurt people, they're in to grab whatever they can and get out undetected and thus we don't need to have weapons to defend ourselves.

Even having a bat near the bedroom is almost overkill.
    This is where the problem is in America. Everyone has a gun so it makes sense to have one to protect yourself.
    Yep, and they're killing eachother with them at a disgusting rate and screaming that they've a God given right to do so.
    I've no problem with a rational, sensible, responsible person having a gun at home to protect their family if the situation arises. But the problem is, the guns are too easy to acquire in the US, and clearly some mentally unstable people are able to get a gun license with ease.

Not only that but they're clearly not being stored properly either, since so many kids/burglars/etc can snatch them with ease.
    Afaik there is no psych evaluation prior to getting a permit. It's just a background check and you have the gun in a matter of days. The guns are getting into the wrong hands far too easily.

Yep, unless you're a proven criminal/nutjob you're good to go.

Bottom line is
    It's a different story when every Tom Dick and Harry has a 9mm tucked into his belt. In that situation, using your fists or even a knife is of little use. At least if you have a gun you stand a chance.
    I've no problem with a rational, sensible, responsible person having a gun at home to protect their family if the situation arises. But the problem is, the guns are too easy to acquire in the US, and clearly some mentally unstable people are able to get a gun license with ease. Afaik there is no psych evaluation prior to getting a permit. It's just a background check and you have the gun in a matter of days. The guns are getting into the wrong hands far too easily.

I used to agree with this point of view, however when I've spent years of my life working to purchase my property & other goods, why should I just allow any thug to walk into my house, terrify my kids & wife and leave with anything he wants.

Also, he might not be armed with a gun, but that does not mean he cannot use deadly force against us or harm my family, he could be strung out on meth, have a syringe, knife etc...

I also agree with you that guns are getting into the wrong hands - criminals can easily obtain a gun (although its expensive), yet as a law abiding citizen I cannot & I see this to be a gross imbalance.

What about all the people who have saved their families lives & property through gun ownership?

America has a high rate of gun crime, true but is also one of the largest countries in the world - you have to put this in context.

No, because you see rates are generally done on a per capita basis.

Such as the murder rate, which is done on a per 100,000 people basis.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

if youre out on a farm on your own a gun sometimes is necessary,but if you are in the city with lots of people,ie witnesses and potential helpers ,and ambulance,hospital,police,phone line wires and good reception in cities for your mobile then there is not really a problem there if an emergency does happen youre not miles away with no help near..but getting back to gun laws i think they should be strict and stay strict for a reason,there are lots of anti socials about who would relish the idea of getting a gun and using it on someone without even thinking of the consequences,some people out there view prison as a career move ,its like a new gaff,so i think they should stay the way they are..

• Advertisement

realies wrote: »
    Having acess to guns for all who are permitted wouldent go down to well here,It will never happen, Be better of having a fully armed garda force,imo

I don't like the idea of outsourcing my families security, especially as the government are considering closing many police stations right now.

Security aside, shooting is a major sport & why should responsible gun owners be prevented from participating in it.

Security aside, shooting is a major sport & why should responsible gun owners be prevented from participating in it.

We're not..3 people here have said they own firearms..myself included, you just meet the requirements for security and a legitimate reason and you can have a firearm...within reason...no fully automatic firearms and centrefire pistols.

Why does we need stricter gun control? It is not legally held guns that are used in shootings/armed robberies.

I used to agree with this point of view, however when I've spent years of my life working to purchase my property & other goods, why should I just allow any thug to walk into my house, terrify my kids & wife and leave with anything he wants.

You insure them. Most burglars aren't even heard, let alone seen or have the potential to "terrify" people.

Also, he might not be armed with a gun, but that does not mean he cannot use deadly force against us or harm my family, he could be strung out on meth, have a syringe, knife etc...

We don't have a problem with burglars harming people in this country. Thanks for the concern though.
    I also agree with you that guns are getting into the wrong hands - criminals can easily obtain a gun (although its expensive), yet as a law abiding citizen I cannot & I see this to be a gross imbalance.

Guns aren't expensive for criminals. €500 here would get you an illegal handgun with the serials removed. Yet, we don't have a problem with them.

You see, where you're failing here is that you're implying that Ireland has a crime problem similar to that in the US and that the criminals here are walking around armed like those in the US. We don't, they're not and they're not going to be and you need to cop yourself on to that. The crime and murder problem in the US has come about due to the access to guns. It will remain a significant problem as long as that relaxed attitude remains.

For f*ck sake, the public schools there have metal detectors to stop people bringing in their parents guns. We do not need that just so a few egotistical "law abiding citizens" can access lethal weapons to overcompensate for their shortcomings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Blay wrote: »
    We're not..3 people here have said they own firearms..myself included, you just meet the requirements for security and a legitimate reason and you can have a firearm...within reason...no fully automatic firearms and centrefire pistols.

Is wanting one for home and self protection considered a valid reason in Ireland?

garv123 wrote: »
    There are some stupid things in Irish gun laws but the majority of them I wouldn't disagree with. I got my 2 guns with little hassle at all as I had a valid reasons for owning each one.

you can own a up to .30 cal on a normal licence.. What did you think people were shooting deer with ? :confused::confused:

You can also get a semi auto centre fire rifle or bigger cal than .30 on a restricted licence but you must prove valid reason for owning these where a bolt action wont do the same job.. Most of these involve an expensive court case. Fully auto aint legal though.

Pistols are now restricted to .22 5 shot but if you owned a bigger cal centre fire pistol before the law changed you can still own a centre pistol.

When I was in Ireland, pistols where 100% banned (although some guy had started a court challenge to this at the time) & rifles where restricted to .22 - which amounts to cruelty to animals when hunting.

You have to go to court to buy a pistol or rifle?

I accept your points but it would be interesting to read the current official laws on this, do you have a source?

• Advertisement

What is the point you are trying to make? You cannot get such a firearm in Irteland. I use my sporting firearms for sport, what is wrong with that?

Is wanting one for home and self protection considered a valid reason in Ireland?

Nope, there's no allowance in the law here for a person to licence a firearm for self/home defence.

Thankfully it is not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Bottom line is

Not only that but most will run as soon as they hear a noise/believe someone is awake. They're not in to hurt people, they're in to grab whatever they can and get out undetected and thus we don't need to have weapons to defend ourselves.

Even having a bat near the bedroom is almost overkill.
    Yep, and they're killing eachother with them at a disgusting rate and screaming that they've a God given right to do so.
    I've no problem with a rational, sensible, responsible person having a gun at home to protect their family if the situation arises. But the problem is, the guns are too easy to acquire in the US, and clearly some mentally unstable people are able to get a gun license with ease.

Not only that but they're clearly not being stored properly either, since so many kids/burglars/etc can snatch them with ease.
    Afaik there is no psych evaluation prior to getting a permit. It's just a background check and you have the gun in a matter of days. The guns are getting into the wrong hands far too easily.

Yep, unless you're a proven criminal/nutjob you're good to go.

I have a Ruger 10/22 semi automatic rifle which fires .22 long rifle high velocity and sub sonic bullets. It fires from a 10 round magazine and fires as fast as you can pull a trigger. It cost 500 Euro and the scope cost 250. Am I a nut job? No, but I am a member of a shooting club. I was vetted by the gardai, who came to check my gunsafe and the weapon. I then had to go through a serious vetting process to get membership of the club, which took 3 weeks. Then, and only then I was allowed to get my gun. The gardai now check the regestration book of the gun club to make sure that the number of rounds I buy tally with my attendance of the club. I can ONLY use this gun at the club. Handguns are also allowed at the club. This is safe and controlled. You don't get ANY gun in a matter of days.

When I was in Ireland, pistols when 100% banned (although some guy had started a court challenge to this at the time) & rifles where restricted to .22 - which amounts to cruelty to animals when hunting.

That has changed.

Generally only in the case of a restricted firearm where the CS doesn't believe you have a valid reason for it.

I accept your points but it would be interesting to read the current official laws on this, do you have a source?

Go over to the shooting forum, there's a red banner that will link you to the laws on firearms here.
    greenpilot wrote: »
    You don't get ANY gun in a matter of days.

They're talking about the US.

• Advertisement

I have a Ruger 10/22 semi automatic rifle which fires .22 long rifle high velocity and sub sonic bullets. It fires from a 10 round magazine and fires as fast as you can pull a trigger. It cost 500 Euro and the scope cost 250. Am I a nut job? No, but I am a member of a shooting club. I was vetted by the gardai, who came to check my gunsafe and the weapon. I then had to go through a serious vetting process to get membership of the club, which took 3 weeks. Then, and only then I was allowed to get my gun. The gardai now check the regestration book of the gun club to make sure that the number of rounds I buy tally with my attendance of the club. I can ONLY use this gun at the club. Handguns are also allowed at the club. This is safe and controlled. You don't get ANY gun in a matter of days.

I don't know why you addressed me with this as I've only talked of the US situation myself. I think the gun laws here are fine. They allow those who want them for sport/hunting/protecting livestock to have them and they keep them out of the hands of panicky idiots who'll use them like...panicky idiots.

When I was in Ireland, pistols when 100% banned (although some guy had started a court challenge to this at the time) & rifles where restricted to .22 - which amounts to cruelty to animals when hunting.

How many years ago were you last in Ireland? you should have at least educated yourself on Irish gun law before starting a thread about irish gun law :rolleyes:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055749811

knock yourself out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭greenpilot

garv123 wrote: »

With respect, you haven't a clue what you are talking about. Go to the shooting forum if you need clarification. By the way, I had the pleasure of firing a .338 Barret sniper rifle at a certain range last week. Amazingly accurate. What's the gun used for? Culling deer humanely. One shot, one kill.

I can ONLY use this gun at the club. .

Whats stopping you bringing your 10/22 out into the field bunny bashing:confused: There is no separate licence for it and plenty of lads use em for both targets and rabbits

You insure them. Most burglars aren't even heard, let alone seen or have the potential to "terrify" people.

We don't have a problem with burglars harming people in this country. Thanks for the concern though.

Guns aren't expensive for criminals. €500 here would get you an illegal handgun with the serials removed. Yet, we don't have a problem with them.

You see, where you're failing here is that you're implying that Ireland has a crime problem similar to that in the US and that the criminals here are walking around armed like those in the US. We don't, they're not and they're not going to be and you need to cop yourself on to that. The crime and murder problem in the US has come about due to the access to guns. It will remain a significant problem as long as that relaxed attitude remains.

For f*ck sake, the public schools there have metal detectors to stop people bringing in their parents guns. We do not need that just so a few egotistical "law abiding citizens" can access lethal weapons to overcompensate for their shortcomings.

Sure I can insure my property, but that's not the point - where is the deterrent for criminals? Also, some of my property has a high tangible value, but to me the sentimental value means some of it is irreplaceable.

Burglars don't harm people? Your kidding right? Old ladies getting raped in their homes & people beaten to death by thugs all for a few bucks, it does happen in Ireland. By this logic I should just assume Mr Burglar is an ok dude & just here to relief me of my property, no harm intended?

A new Glock in my local gunstore is $600, your saying a criminal in Ireland can buy the same weapon at the same cost? Source please?

No public schools around here have metal detectors, your thinking of areas such as south central in LA or other locations with a high rate of urban unrest. This is the exception, not the rule.

Your only thinking about guns for crime & security, guns are also for sport & hunting which where I live is their major function.

And how do you know that. Just becouse someone is shot dead on someone else's property doens't mean that they were going to murder the said family like you seem to suggest. I would wager 99% of these were robbiries and in fairness it is a big leap to jump from robbery to murder.

Also doesn't America have a massive gap between the rich and the poor. They would do better to close that gap. I would be very supprised if that in its self dosn't reduce there crime rates.

And the latest shooting (the whole batman thing. Cant remember how many died and to lazy to look it up). The guns that he bought were fully legal. And he still walked out of there and no one shot him to put an end to the massicur. Cops picked him up 10 mins later
    What good did guns do there?

On of the highest rates of gun crime per capta. please dont ignore this. You can talk around this as much as you like but at the end of the day we have a much lower gun crime rate than america. Why fix what isn't broken?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Can we not have some AH replies ? Myself I'd like an 81mm mortar, I can just see myself bracketing the M50 on Winters evening and I do have a gun licence just in case ya'all think I'm a nut job.:)

A new Glock in my local gunstore is $600, your saying a criminal in Ireland can buy the same weapon at the same cost? Source please?

Yeah hang on while he goes to the webpage of people selling illegal guns in Ireland to get you a source..

Who says they use brand new guns? you can buy handguns for cheaper than that and even cheaper second hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Self defense aside, hunting & time spent at the range is a big family and community bonding experience over here, a lot of people go to the range after work for sport & to de-stress....sending a few dozen rounds down range is great to make you forget about work.

Hunting forum Has had some good discussions regarding this. That probably would of been the best place.

I'd say it's safe to say your average citizen wouldn't have a breeze about gun laws here.

Odysseus wrote: »
    Why does we need stricter gun control? It is not legally held guns that are used in shootings/armed robberies.

I phrased that wrong. What i ment to say is I would rather a society without guns full stop. For that to happen it would have to happen world wide otherwise crimials would just smugle them in and creat a big (bigger) black market around guns
    But yes you are right. Legal guns are not the ones being used in murders. Our current laws are proberly ok all in all. People who want them for hunting or whatever can get them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement