Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Gun Control - To Strict?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

codex1 wrote: »
    "common thing" - what thing?

Fact is, I cannot legally buy high powered sporting firearms in Ireland that I can buy over here, which I object to & is the whole point here.

You can own plenty of high powered rifles here that are usable to hunt game all over the world. You can go buy a AR or what ever you like but its a tougher licencing system than the us.

You cant buy CF handguns or fully automatic. Thats not that limited.
    We just need valid reason for owning them.. unlike "for the craic" in the US

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭codex1

Mike87 wrote: »
    AS an avid Irish firearms owner, who has also spent a lot of time in the US working in "tougher" areas. I can safely say that I would hate to see Irelands gun laws go on par with the US.

Over there, I was at house parties and people are so quick to pull guns on each other. Over there you do need one. The school I was working in had to scan every kid on the way in and out in the morning, at lunch and home time incase a kid decides to bring daddies/mommies/older brothers gun into school.

And then lets not forget the parents who insist on sending their kids to school with a pistol incase another kid goes on a shooting spree- they dont want their child defencless- and I cant blame them to be honest, but personally Id rather there was no guns in the first place to avoid all the hassle.

And lastly here on a Saturday night the worst you have to worry about is Paddy Mc Arsehole getting drunk and hitting someone with a bottle or snooker cue and not pulling out his 9mm and start letting off.

And in the US their "gangbangers" are somewhat respectable in that they only hassle each other. You think our trakkie wearing knackers cause lots of problems now? Just think what it will be like when they have easy access to firearms.

I disagree with some of this - if a child even gets access to your firearms here, you are automatically going to jail for a long time, its a felony - you can then never own a gun again nor can you vote, receive education loans or social security.

The problem is that in Ireland, criminals do have easy access to firearms - as long as they have the cash to pay for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

hiram wrote: »
    Actually, you can buy..45.

Not in a pistol you can't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

So realistically, the only legitimate reason that the vast majority of people would have for owning a gun, is to use it for hunting?

What if for example, I wanted to get a gun for target shooting? Afaik, there are no target shooting clubs or amenities close to where I live. Would that mean that getting a gun for reasons other than hunting would be out of the question for me from the get go?

You can't put target shooting down as the reason if you're not target shooting in a club afaik. If I remember correctly there was even a blurry line between zeroing a gun and target shooting.

So realistically, the only legitimate reason that the vast majority of people would have for owning a gun, is to use it for hunting?

What if for example, I wanted to get a gun for target shooting? Afaik, there are no target shooting clubs or amenities close to where I live. Would that mean that getting a gun for reasons other than hunting would be out of the question for me from the get go?

Thing is you need a valid reason to own a firearm here.. So if you don't want it for hunting and aren't willing to travel to the nearest target shooting range then you dont have a valid reason to own one.

There are plenty of target shooting ranges within very reasonable distances though..

PieForPi wrote: »
    Says the man trying to claim we've a problem with violent crime here. Indeed, such a problem that we should be able to buy lethal weapons in a bid to stop it.

I don't, if you read a few of my posts you would have seen I am coming from a sporting firearms standpoint.

I said nothing about violent crime in Ireland, I should be able to defend my property regardless of weather a criminal is armed or not, not saying shot the guy - but to be able to subdue him, personally I don't really want to get close enough to find out if he is armed or not, as for hitting a criminal with a hammer as some have suggested - that is nonsense because its assuming their is just one assailant, he does not have any weapons of his own (non firearms) and you have to get within an arms reach to subdue him putting yourself at risk. No thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

"common thing" - what thing?

Fact is, I cannot legally buy high powered sporting firearms in Ireland that I can buy over here, which I object to & is the whole point here.

And the fact is that 4 times more people per capita have to be killed just so you can have that right.
    Your argument has been completely shot down but you keep harping on with this same lame argument "I can buy X in America but I can't buy it in Ireland. I'll ignore the repercussions because I want X".
    I'm all for liberty and freedoms, but owning a machine whose sole purpose (outside of sport use which is legal here) is to end another person's life or harm another person is not a basic freedom as it violates another person's freedoms.

Blay wrote: »
    So what? You're not even in Ireland so it has no bearing on your life, it's firearms owners here that have to live with these laws and as has been said we have no real issues with AR15's etc being restricted. If you want one you can still get one.

So because I don't live in Ireland right now you should I should not ask questions like this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Mike87

I disagree with some of this - if a child even gets access to your firearms here, you are automatically going to jail for a long time, its a felony - you can then never own a gun again nor can you vote, receive education loans or social security.

Felony or not. They still do it. In one year we came across 3 kids with pistols.

The problem is that in Ireland, criminals do have easy access to firearms - as long as they have the cash to pay for them.

Im not sure its that easy. You would imagine the IRA would have decent connections in the criminal world- and even they have to buy and import pistols from Libya (if I remember correctly).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

No. Criminals being the only ones having guns is a mis-directed argument. Most criminals don't have guns, as in most crime-sectors in Ireland, excluding a few choice areas, there is little need for them. In those choice areas, the vast majority of shootings are between people involved in crime.

I'd rather not own a gun knowing that there is very good chance my burglar won't be carrying either, rather than have us both armed.

• Advertisement

garv123 wrote: »
    You can own plenty of high powered rifles here that are usable to hunt game all over the world. You can go buy a AR or what ever you like but its a tougher licencing system than the us.

You cant buy CF handguns or fully automatic. Thats not that limited.
    We just need valid reason for owning them.. unlike "for the craic" in the US

But I want my Barrett .50 ;-)

So because I don't live in Ireland right now you should I should not ask questions like this?

The questions you're asking are ridiculous...you're saying 'why can't I buy an AR15 over the counter in Ireland?' Because you've no fcking reason to have one that's why you can't buy it over the counter. If you have a legitimate reason you can have it. You could get an M82 Barrett .50 if you had a reason. You're making Ireland out to be some place where you can't have anything bar a single barrel shotgun or something. The guards are open to giving you any firearm you need outside of full auto's and CF pistols if you have a reason. If you don't like that then stay in the US and sleep with an AR15 under the pillow.

But I want my Barrett .50 ;-)

Yeah go get one so.. Just provide a valid reason for owning it and apply for your restricted licence and be sure your home is up to the security standard the chief super will want.

Be sure you have plenty of cash to pay for it too and for the courtcase where'll you'll be showing proof of why you need it.

Anita Blow wrote: »
    And the fact is that 4 times more people per capita have to be killed just so you can have that right.
    Your argument has been completely shot down but you keep harping on with this same lame argument "I can buy X in America but I can't buy it in Ireland. I'll ignore the repercussions because I want X".
    I'm all for liberty and freedoms, but owning a machine whose sole purpose (outside of sport use which is legal here) is to end another person's life or harm another person is not a basic freedom as it violates another person's freedoms.

Your argument is invalid on a number of fronts.

"4 times more people per capita have to be killed" - 4 times more than who / what? What are you talking about.

How many of those deaths are caused by illegal gun ownership?

230,000 people on the US / Mexico border have been killed in the last 10 years due to the war on drugs, this does not include the large numbers killed from cartel & inter-gang violence which takes place in every major city here. These numbers skew the the gun / death statistics used by the anti-gun lobby in the US.

Do you think the cartels & criminals are buying their firearms legally?

Nonsense, accidents do happen but do you really think that if one guy wants to kill someone else, they will stop and think "gee - I don't have a gun, better abandon that plan".

http://www.laht.com/article.asp?CategoryId=14091&ArticleId=367604

Felony or not. They still do it. In one year we came across 3 kids with pistols.

Im not sure its that easy. You would imagine the IRA would have decent connections in the criminal world- and even they have to buy and import pistols from Libya (if I remember correctly).

So your saying if gun laws where more relaxed in Ireland, kids would take guns to school?

Right now kids can take knifes, razor blades, solvents and lots of other scary stuff to school in Ireland, but it rarely happens. Should we start banning everything that can be used as a weapon, come on ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

So your saying if gun laws where more relaxed in Ireland, kids would take guns to school?

Right now kids can take knifes, razor blades, solvents and lots of other scary stuff to school in Ireland, but it rarely happens. Should we start banning everything that can be used as a weapon, come on ;-)
    You are a boring, boring man.

Knives and razor blades are illegal to carry in public without valid reason already :pac:
    You really know nothing about Irish laws do you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Your argument is invalid on a number of fronts.

"4 times more people per capita have to be killed" - 4 times more than who / what? What are you talking about.

How many of those deaths are caused by illegal gun ownership?

230,000 people on the US / Mexico border have been killed in the last 10 years due to the war on drugs, this does not include the large numbers killed from cartel & inter-gang violence which takes place in every major city here. These numbers skew the the gun / death statistics used by the anti-gun lobby in the US.

Do you think the cartels & criminals are buying their firearms legally?

Nonsense, accidents do happen but do you really think that if one guy wants to kill someone else, they will stop and think "gee - I don't have a gun, better abandon that plan".

http://www.laht.com/article.asp?CategoryId=14091&ArticleId=367604

The US has an Intentional Homicide Rate of 4.2 per 100,000 people. Ireland has an IHR of 1.2 per 100,000 people.
    The US has widespread gun ownership, Ireland does not.
    In the past month there has been 4 high-profile killings of multiple innocent people by people who would've been considered sane/innocent before they carried out these attacks. They were Denver, Chicago, New York and Wisconsin.
    I don't think I could name a similar incident in Ireland where a previously sane person with no previous violent convictions killed multiple civilians so easily.

You can twist and turn the figures and try to come up with any and every excuse, but those are the facts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

recently there have been shootings in newry and limerick of late,i would hate to think we could make it EVEN EASIER for these anti socials to get their hands on guns..keep the gun laws as they are,the guns really are only meant for farmer protection(as they live out in the middle of nowhere the back of beyonds with no help for miles or gards ambulance etc) and guards/army/genuine enthusiasts,not anti socials and cowboys..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Odysseus wrote: »
    What is the point you are trying to make? You cannot get such a firearm in Irteland. I use my sporting firearms for sport, what is wrong with that?

Nothing. It was a comment pertaining to US lax gun laws. The point is where do you place the upper limit if the laws are relaxed? If you enjoy shooting for sport, and you're able to own several weapons surely the laws aren't too strict.

dyl10 wrote: »
    No. Criminals being the only ones having guns is a mis-directed argument. Most criminals don't have guns, as in most crime-sectors in Ireland, excluding a few choice areas, there is little need for them. In those choice areas, the vast majority of shootings are between people involved in crime.

I'd rather not own a gun knowing that there is very good chance my burglar won't be carrying either, rather than have us both armed.

But criminals are the ones who can most easily obtain a gun, provided they have the cash.

But again, from the sporting viewpoint - if I am well trained & have proven myself to be a responsible gun owner, why should my purchasing options be severely limited as they currently are? It is this that I have an issue with.
    To me its like placing a restriction on buying hurleys because you could use one as a deadly weapon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

I don't, if you read a few of my posts you would have seen I am coming from a sporting firearms standpoint.

I said nothing about violent crime in Ireland, I should be able to defend my property regardless of weather a criminal is armed or not, not saying shot the guy - but to be able to subdue him, personally I don't really want to get close enough to find out if he is armed or not, as for hitting a criminal with a hammer as some have suggested - that is nonsense because its assuming their is just one assailant, he does not have any weapons of his own (non firearms) and you have to get within an arms reach to subdue him putting yourself at risk. No thanks.

1: Protection of you home
    This is a seemingly logical point. keep you home safe. yea?
    The problem is that guns are mostly just able to be used as a scar tactic of criminals rather than being any good for actula defense. A home is close quatered with many obstacles standing in the way of you and your 'target'. That is presuming that you could get to your gun. I would seriely dout the you intruder will let you go walk about in you house so you can go get a gun.
    This study links guns kept in homes to much higher homicide rate in children.
    What do you say to that. OOOOo well i keep my gun in a gun case. Well it isn't much good if someone breaks in then is it. They are not going to wait around while you open you big padlock box.
    guns creat more problems than they sovle

2: Self defence
    Why not learn a marital art if you are so worried about self defence. You can use that anywhere even if the county you happen to be in forbids guns
    Better yet why not have a debate about tasers. (should have put this is point 1 aswell) They will render your opponent useless while you can call the gards. They will be there by the time he come round. if not tase him again

3: Criminals
    first very few have guns. the ones that do may have a little more power but that has never stoped them in the past. In america where the 'good' people have guns too there is still a very high rate of crime.

Guns are bad. They are used for killing. why fight evil with evil and let good people get hurt.
    I would rather america takes steps towards a better society rather than reinforce outdated ignorance
    Guns need to be abolished and peace promoted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

PieForPi wrote: »
    The US has an intentional homicide rate almost 4 times higher than ours, Britain's or Canada's. They can keep their guns.

Balanced by the fact that you are 2.5 times as likely to be assaulted in the UK.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_ass_vic-crime-assault-victims
    Doesn't america have one of the highest rates of gun crime in the world?

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_gun_vio_hom_fir_hom_rat_per_100_pop-rate-per-100-000-pop
    8th highest homocides by guns in the world, but a tenth of Thailand's rate. Funny how we don't get quite as hysterical about that.

Note that the Czech republic has more liberal gun laws than parts of the US, and yet a low murder rate with firearms. As does Switzerland. Bare statistics don't paint the full picture.

You are more likely to be shot (when the outcome is murder) in Slovakia than the US.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_gun_vio_hom_hom_wit_fir-crime-gun-violence-homicides-firearms

So that stuff rarely happens here? And who in the US told you that? :rolleyes:

Knives and razor blades are illegal to carry in public without valid reason already :pac:
    You really know nothing about Irish laws do you?

Yeah & the same should be applied to guns, does not mean that there will be a few bad apples.

Cherry picking words out of context, you've nothing to add.

• Advertisement

But criminals are the ones who can most easily obtain a gun, provided they have the cash.

But again, from the sporting viewpoint - if I am well trained & have proven myself to be a responsible gun owner, why should my purchasing options be severely limited as they currently are? It is this that I have an issue with.
    To me its like placing a restriction on buying hurleys because you could use one as a deadly weapon

Why do you ignore when people tell you the choice is not severely limited and you can own what you want besides CF pistols and full auto if you have a valid reason?

Yeah & the same should be applied to guns, does not mean that there will be a few bad apples.

Cherry picking words out of context, you've nothing to add.

Guns are illegal to carry in public without valid reason :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Gun licenses are a bit too expensive here. No way should you be required to pay the govt 20e a year for the privilege of owning a pellet gun that couldnt put a hole in a piece of chipboard from 1m away

eth0 wrote: »
    Gun licenses are a bit too expensive here. No way should you be required to pay the govt 20e a year for the privilege of owning a pellet gun that couldnt put a hole in a piece of chipboard from 1m away

26.66 a year aint to expensive and what are you on about pellet guns?

1: Protection of you home
    This is a seemingly logical point. keep you home safe. yea?
    The problem is that guns are mostly just able to be used as a scar tactic of criminals rather than being any good for actula defense. A home is close quatered with many obstacles standing in the way of you and your 'target'. That is presuming that you could get to your gun. I would seriely dout the you intruder will let you go walk about in you house so you can go get a gun.
    This study links guns kept in homes to much higher homicide rate in children.
    What do you say to that. OOOOo well i keep my gun in a gun case. Well it isn't much good if someone breaks in then is it. They are not going to wait around while you open you big padlock box.
    guns creat more problems than they sovle

2: Self defence
    Why not learn a marital art if you are so worried about self defence. You can use that anywhere even if the county you happen to be in forbids guns
    Better yet why not have a debate about tasers. (should have put this is point 1 aswell) They will render your opponent useless while you can call the gards. They will be there by the time he come round. if not tase him again

3: Criminals
    first very few have guns. the ones that do may have a little more power but that has never stoped them in the past. In america where the 'good' people have guns too there is still a very high rate of crime.

Guns are bad. They are used for killing. why fight evil with evil and let good people get hurt.
    I would rather america takes steps towards a better society rather than reinforce outdated ignorance
    Guns need to be abolished and peace promoted

Your suggesting that I get marital art lessons & go all Chuck Norris on a gang of burglars? :D I think that only happens in hollywood.

Tasers are worse than guns, UN classifies them as a torture device, because they are "non-lethal" idiots are far more likely to use them when its not necessary. Also, very limited range - I don't want to get close enough to fight it out with my new martial art skills, nor do I want to get close enough to use a taser.

You have a polarized view of guns & ignoring their many other uses e.g. sport & hunting....which some might say are the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

the nature of a gun is to harm an individual or animal,the licensing should be tight i think,if it turns out like the states when it comes to guns ,it will be a real shame,as we will see any old knack with guns,young and old,and that wont be a good thing for the general public if a pissed off hobo embittered and bitter at the world and people in general can get their hands on a gun.it would be like a ticking time bomb before public shootings begin..

You keep saying this over and over.... can you back this up.

As was demonstrated earlier this year the real IRA are having problems sourcing arms. Are you trying to say that some little knacker house thieves/drug dealer is walking about armed whilst the the IRA cant get their hands on a few AR-15s?

Stop trying to spread lies/fear/paranoia- just because where you live in the US you need your semi auto under your pillow to sleep soundly at night doesnt mean we need the same here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

26.66 a year aint to expensive and what are you on about pellet guns?

Yea i dont think there should be a renewal fee for those at all. Most countries dont require licenses for them anyway. 1 paid license should be able to cover multiple guns. 2 or more gun license + draconian safe requirements means having a couple different guns around or collecting soon becomes a very expensive hobby

So that stuff rarely happens here? And who in the US told you that? :rolleyes:

No one did, but living in Ireland for 35 years - I cannot recall ever hearing a story like this, please share the URL to a source showing an Irish kid going to school with a fistful of razor blades and carving people up to validate your argument?

The culture in the US is far different to Ireland, your not comparing like for like - you say you lived here, you should understand what I mean.

Yea i dont think there should be a renewal fee for those at all. Most countries dont require licenses for them anyway. 1 paid license should be able to cover multiple guns. 2 or more gun license + draconian safe requirements means having a couple different guns around or collecting soon becomes a very expensive hobby

Pellet guns under 1j dont require a licence.

That used be the system here. One licence and guns added on cheaply.

But hey presto they decide we'll make more money off the 200,000, guns in Ireland and make it a licence per gun and 80euro for 3 years each. some lads have 12 licences to pay

Why do you ignore when people tell you the choice is not severely limited and you can own what you want besides CF pistols and full auto if you have a valid reason?

Who said I wanted full auto? In fact I said I am against full auto in an earlier post.

I've yet to see a credible post here proving that I can legally buy the type of firearms that I wish to own. Yes I can purchase certain firearms, but not the ones I want - if I have the money to buy them & have a proven history of responsible firearm ownership, why should I not be able to do so?

Who said I wanted full auto? In fact I said I am against full auto in an earlier post.

I've yet to see a credible post here proving that I can legally buy the type of firearms that I wish to own. Yes I can purchase certain firearms, but not the ones I want - if I have the money to buy them & have a proven history of responsible firearm ownership, why should I not be able to do so?

What type do you wish to own. If its not full auto or a CF pistol then you can own them since you have the money.

Guns are illegal to carry in public without valid reason :pac:

Actually, you need a concealed weapons permit & the training + licensing which goes with it to carry in public, no one cares about your reason.

Guns are only allowed to be carried in public over here in certain states, some states such as California will not issue CWP's.

You can own them if you have a reason

There are several AR15 pattern rifles licenced in Ireland at the moment, go talk to Grizzly45 over on the shooting forum he owns a Remington R25 in .243.

Actually, you need a concealed weapons permit & the training + licensing which goes with it to carry in public, no one cares about your reason.

Guns are only allowed to be carried in public over here in certain states, some states such as California will not issue CWP's.

Im on about in Ireland which your thread is about not the US

• Advertisement

MadsL wrote: »
    Balanced by the fact that you are 2.5 times as likely to be assaulted in the UK.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_ass_vic-crime-assault-victims

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_gun_vio_hom_fir_hom_rat_per_100_pop-rate-per-100-000-pop
    8th highest homocides by guns in the world, but a tenth of Thailand's rate. Funny how we don't get quite as hysterical about that.

Note that the Czech republic has more liberal gun laws than parts of the US, and yet a low murder rate with firearms. As does Switzerland. Bare statistics don't paint the full picture.

You are more likely to be shot (when the outcome is murder) in Slovakia than the US.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_gun_vio_hom_hom_wit_fir-crime-gun-violence-homicides-firearms

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_tot_cri-crime
    here is another stastic from the same wedsite as you took yours. Shows america has the highest crime rates by far. doesn't mention guns but i wounder what might have caused america to have twice the crime rate than its nearest 'competator' :confused:

Your suggesting that I get marital art lessons & go all Chuck Norris on a gang of burglars? I think that only happens in hollywood.

Tasers are worse than guns, UN classifies them as a torture device, because they are "non-lethal" idiots are far more likely to use them when its not necessary. Also, very limited range - I don't want to get close enough to fight it out with my new martial art skills, nor do I want to get close enough to use a taser.

You have a polarized view of guns & ignoring their many other uses e.g. sport & hunting....which some might say are the same thing.

No. i was saying if people are so worried about there safty then why not learn self defence. Wouldn't work in america becouse ye already have that many guns circulating but in ireland where there is very few i would think that is enough

Tasers are worse than guns. I dont see why. Why cant they be highly regualated and only given to people who are seriesly worried about there safty and are sane.
    You dont want to get close enough to use a taser but if someone breaks into you house they are not going to be a million miles away. If you can shoot them you will be able to taser them (unless you live in a mansion)

yes people can hunt and whatever. No objection and under current law that is possible :confused:

You also ignored some of my points indication the corralation between child homicide/susicide/death with guns lieing around the house

the nature of a gun is to harm an individual or animal,the licensing should be tight i think,if it turns out like the states when it comes to guns ,it will be a real shame,as we will see any old knack with guns,young and old,and that wont be a good thing for the general public if a pissed off hobo embittered and bitter at the world and people in general can get their hands on a gun.it would be like a ticking time bomb before public shootings begin..

"nature of a gun is to harm an individual" - really? Because guns I use only harm paper targets & the occasional watermelon ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

A licence for each person containing all of their guns and their details on it would be ideal. The system as it currently stands is a bit of a mess.

You keep saying this over and over.... can you back this up.

As was demonstrated earlier this year the real IRA are having problems sourcing arms. Are you trying to say that some little knacker house thieves/drug dealer is walking about armed whilst the the IRA cant get their hands on a few AR-15s?

Stop trying to spread lies/fear/paranoia- just because where you live in the US you need your semi auto under your pillow to sleep soundly at night doesnt mean we need the same here.

I have a semi-auto under my pillow now? :D

Are there any other lies or slurs you want to assume or make up?

Stop talking nonsense.

kowloon wrote: »
    A licence for each person containing all of their guns and their details on it would be ideal. The system as it currently stands is a bit of a mess.

This is only the 3rd year of that system and they wont be changing it any time soon with the money they are making off it.

What type do you wish to own. If its not full auto or a CF pistol then you can own them since you have the money.

So I can buy a barrett, Glock 45 ACP and DE .50 legally in Ireland?

No, I cannot and that's my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

I can see why people feel they need them in the US, it's probably too late to introduce gun control now even if it was the will of the majority (which I doubt it is). But very few criminals in Ireland have guns, we don't need them in homes and business premises. If you want to play around with weapons as a hobby go to a gun club.

Im on about in Ireland which your thread is about not the US

I am talking only about Ireland & the laws in Ireland, I think they are overly restrictive without justification.

Blay wrote: »
    You can own them if you have a reason

There are several AR15 pattern rifles licenced in Ireland at the moment, go talk to Grizzly45 over on the shooting forum he owns a Remington R25 in .243.

NO I cannot by a barret, .45 ACP or DE .50 in Ireland.

• Advertisement

So I can buy a barrett, Glock 45 ACP and DE .50 legally in Ireland?

No, I cannot and that's my point.

I am glad we are not like america. there is so much wrong with that country. If you want to own weapons designed to kill even more efficently than the ones you can legly get here you can stay in america.

I for one do not want a same crazy idot with a gun under his pillow in my neighborhood

Advertisement