Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mountjoy Square??

Options
  • 24-08-2012 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Circumstances have forced me to live away from home for a number of years and I'm frankly very happily surprised to be reading many recent favourable comments about Mountjoy Square. Time was, Mountjoy was regarded as one of the most run-down, least desireable parts of the city. It seems all that has now changed ... how wonderful! Can anyone fill me in on what's happened?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

I dont think anything has really changed in the last 10 years - Perhaps about 15-20 years ago it might have been considered "rough" due to the surrounding areas. The only thing to watch out for is the standard of some of the appartments being rented out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

The single biggest difference IMO is that young foreign immigrants with no pre-conceived notions about the area have just gone ahead and moved in in large numbers. The park in the square used to be a desolate wasteland but now it's full of young families from all over the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭penana

Thanks, so much, for taking the time to reply; it was very good of you. :)
    Actually, I'm quite old now (67), so my memories of the area are going back to 40 or more years ago when Mountjoy was pretty well regarded as one of the worst and most dangeours kips in Dublin. Apartments then were your basic tenements and the Gardai spent a lot of time there.
    Even if some of the apartments mightn't be all that great now, as you implied, it certainly sounds as though the whole place has improved a lot. Might you be saying then, that with some careful examination and consideration, one mightn't be too badly off settling there now?
    Amazing how life can change over time, itsn't it?:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Id have no problem living up there tbh.

as you say 40 odd years ago is a huge difference in the area with all the tenements on gardiner street, summerhill and was quite a poverty stricken area and also in the late 80s and 90s had quite a bit of wasteland and old buildings falling down. So much has changed from the late 90s onwards it is almost unrecognisable now

• Advertisement

It is SO encouraging to hear from all of you how much things have changed and improved!! My severe homesickness has been very hard to bear of late but, I keep hoping that with the help and grace of God, I might find a way to return to Dublin from the US, where financial constraints have left me essentially stranded. Thanks again, to each of you, for your time and input; it is very, very much appreciated.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

penana wrote: »
    Thanks, so much, for taking the time to reply; it was very good of you. :)
    Actually, I'm quite old now (67), so my memories of the area are going back to 40 or more years ago when Mountjoy was pretty well regarded as one of the worst and most dangeours kips in Dublin. Apartments then were your basic tenements and the Gardai spent a lot of time there.
    Even if some of the apartments mightn't be all that great now, as you implied, it certainly sounds as though the whole place has improved a lot. Might you be saying then, that with some careful examination and consideration, one mightn't be too badly off settling there now?
    Amazing how life can change over time, itsn't it?:):)

I was literally wondering how long ago you initially meant :)

I've just said in a different thread I wouldn't get a place there due to parking and the general standard of apartments but as for any threat etc that would definitely not be an issue.

I viewed 5 or 6 in May and they were terrible, not saying that all appartments there are poor as that is not the case, I was just unlucky perhaps

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

penana wrote: »
    It is SO encouraging to hear from all of you how much things have changed and improved!! My severe homesickness has been very hard to bear of late but, I keep hoping that with the help and grace of God, I might find a way to return to Dublin from the US, where financial constraints have left me essentially stranded. Thanks again, to each of you, for your time and input; it is very, very much appreciated.:)

In the meantime you can mooch around the area with Google Street View.

Not the same as being there obviously, but it will give you an idea of changes that have been made over the years.

Once more, thanks so very much to each of you who've taken the time to reply. You're all awfully good! Take are and God bless ... and say a bit of a prayer for those of us who so yearn to return home?:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭SolarFlash

i live here. It's nice. Lot's of cool young Euro types, nice buildings and cheap rent. Short hop to temple bar. Feels safe but they need to put in a few traffic stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭AsianDub

I've been around this area at all hours and it seems grand.
    Haven't had any trouble.
    Hope it all works out for you penana
    Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

I am 59 and can relate to how bad Mountjoy Square used to look ,when i was growing up in Phibsborough near by .I now live abroad like the OP but will be back next month for a Holiday .Was last back 3 years ago and the big difference for me was the number of Foreign people now living in Dublin .
    Even 3 years ago there was a huge number of Junkyies in the City center .I hope that they are keeping out of Mountjoy Sq.Park .
    Another great Park nearby that has improved a lot from 40 years ago is the Royal Canal Bank and Blessington St. Basin .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

so the foreigners improved it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭thesiren

I'm considering moving to an apartment in the Mountjoy Square block (which is actually in Mountjoy Place) and just wanted to check if it's still an ok area? I had a look at Google street views and it looks pretty nice apart from being near to what looks like a bus depot. However, I've had a friend totally warn me off the area as it's close to Summerhill and 'a bit dodgy' for a woman walking home alone at night.

id be more worried about the local rapist that lives there -Sean Moore.

http://www.sundayworld.com/columnists/sw-irish-crime.php?aid=6988

I think the police have had to stop watching him 24/7 but they still keep an eye out for him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

id be more worried about the local rapist that lives there -Sean Moore.

http://www.sundayworld.com/columnists/sw-irish-crime.php?aid=6988

I think the police have had to stop watching him 24/7 but they still keep an eye out for him

Jesus that article is some seriously bad journalism. If I'd even call it that.

Jesus that article is some seriously bad journalism. If I'd even call it that.

I didnt read the article, I just googled his name and it came first up. A female friend of mine moved into the appartment block and the police warned her about him and to be careful. That is fact

Advertisement