Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The briefest moment.

• 24-08-2012 7:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭

First post in a while as I've moved to the UK to take a job with Apple. Was playing with my daughter in the garden at a friends place the other day and I had the 5D around my neck.

She suddenly ran around the fence and started peeking at me for a brief moment and then would run around again. I was lucky to grab this snap, given that she only stayed like this for a moment.

Its pretty much my favorite picture I have taken of her, even after loads of studio sessions since she was born. A photographic lesson for me about the value of capturing a real moment.

11.jpeg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭mikka631

That is what you call a "Magic Moment"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

May be best explained by Mr. Bresson;

"Photographier: c'est dans un même instant et en une fraction de seconde reconnaître un fait et l'organisation rigoureuse de formes perçues visuellement qui expriment et signifient ce fait" ("To me, photography is the simultaneous recognition, in a fraction of a second, of the significance of an event as well as of a precise organization of forms which give that event its proper expression.

I think you've just found for you the decisive moment.

Very sweet indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭gizzymo

Thanks AnCatDubh, Mikka :)

Love that quote AnCatDubh... I may end up framing the pic for our home and putting that quote under it...

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭jeni

Love it, her eyes are the first thing you see, too cute :)

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭chisel

A lovely shot - and given all the more meaning by your memory of the circumstances of taking it. If you do frame it, I think its well worth writing your post above on the back of the frame. In 20 years time it will have increased in value!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭kassie

wow thats fab, your daughter is very beautiful! I would defo frame & hang it!!!

Love "lucky" shots like these they always speak a 1000 words, i'm a complete beginner and before i even got my canon sx40 i, like you, caught my perfect picture on my samsung galaxy phone (of all things!) of my daughter at only 10/11 weeks old, melts my heart every time i see it! I hope you don't mind if i share it??

7857030426_636d60e16b.jpg
    A Chuishle Mo Chroì by Mise Me Fein, on Flickr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Super shot, well captured. Better than any studio type work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Outstanding shot!

Capturing the moment is far more appealing to me than any setup or studio shot

Lovely image :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Great shot. It's always the unplanned ones that work out the best :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

As nice an image as it is...I can't help but seeing it from a point of view where I'm not overwhelmed by a kid with bright blue eyes looking through a fence and reading the back story to it.
    I personally think its a little over done with processing and just too unnatural
    (with regard to colour and tone), a bit too highly saturated. Granted it could be the style you were aiming for. The eyes, as captivating as they are look too fake. The whole tone and saturation makes me cringe a little.

I do much prefer it to studio style work. I just think its trying a little too hard to stand out. I see more processing than content. I'm sorry if I seem so negative. I'm just pointing out my point of view. I think a square crop would probably do it more justice. A little too much empty space on either side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

^ Boooohhhhh :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

It's great when you capture an image which really shows the personality. This shot does that.

However, I too see the processing dominating the image. The unatural skin tones do remind me of out of date film in a cheap camera. This may be the mood you were seeking.

The burnt hair keeps drawing my eye too.

I feel a tighter crop sans "aged" processing would be a stronger portrayal of this capture.

Advertisement