Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingy Wedding Presents & None at All

Options

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

It was not a bitchy comment - it was the truth. You even admitted yourself that you have not invited +1's because you know that they never want to go anyway.

Why was it necessary to be applied to my wedding? THAT is what made it a bitchy, sarky, wholly unnecessary comment IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Why was it necessary to be applied to my wedding? THAT is what made it a bitchy, sarky, wholly unnecessary comment IMHO.

It's true about yours and everyone elses wedding.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

amdublin wrote: »
    It's true about yours and everyone elses wedding.

It's still a personal bitchy comment, truth or no. It's so funny that people can muster telling people 'the truth' on the internet but cannot muster the cajones to not go to a wedding they don't want to go to. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

What!

You have admitted it is true and you aren't inviting +1's in order to prevent it.

But yet when someone says it in relation to your wedding you say it is is bitchy.

Sorry but it is not bitchy, just a fact (which you even acknowledge yourself!!!)

Are you being bitchy to yourself???!!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

What!

You have admitted it is true and you aren't inviting +1's in order to prevent it.

But yet when someone says it in relation to your wedding you say it is is bitchy.

Sorry but it is not bitchy, just a fact (which you even acknowledge yourself!!!)

Are you being bitchy to yourself???!!!

It was a bitchy and personal comment. It was unnecessary.

• Advertisement

It's still a personal bitchy comment, truth or no. It's so funny that people can muster telling people 'the truth' on the internet but cannot muster the cajones to not go to a wedding they don't want to go to. :confused:

I don't think it's personal or bitchy. I think you'd be a bit delusional to think that all people love weddings (weddings in general, not yours alone).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Quorum

It was a bitchy and personal comment. It was unnecessary.

It wasn't. It was a response to El Dangeroso's certainty that people who don't like weddings don't go to them.

And do you think her response was personal and bitchy? It was about me, the individual, whereas mine was based on the amount of people I've known who don't like weddings. I know nothing about her wedding celebrations. I know lots of people who find them a chore, whatever the wedding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

This thread has predictably descended into chaos. Bitchiness and nastiness given free rein as usual...

Why is that?? :confused:

Because some brides want more presents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

Dear lord will u guys just build a bridge!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I think the My Wedding is so Cooler than Yours stuff in here is fairly repugnant.

Get over yerselves. Some people like to party, and they have a big party. Some people like small, and they have small. Being offensive about either is unpleasant. Especially in this forum.

This thread has predictably descended into chaos. Bitchiness and nastiness given free rein as usual...

Why is that?? :confused:

Bitchiness from various angles too. ;)

pwurple wrote: »
    I think the My Wedding is so Cooler than Yours stuff in here is fairly repugnant.

I also find the We gave them a Big Gift so they Need to give us a Big One back stuff is fairly repugnant too.

Or even more repugnant, the "I've had access to their financials, they can afford a much more expensive present then they gave me" and a year after my wedding I'm still bitter about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Quorum wrote: »
    Bitchiness from various angles too. ;)

What are you on about??

What are you on about??

That bitchiness is coming from various different people on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I don't think you are getting it.

For me if someone arrives to a wedding or an event I am holding without a "gift" (present or money, etc.) I don't see them as arriving empty handed.

I see them as bringing their company as the gift. The gift is having them there celebrating my happy day. The gift is the hug or kiss they give me when they greet me. The gift is the good wishes that they whisper to me as they hug me. For me it is a gift to have my friends and family in good health around me.

Hi Diddler1977

Thanks for explaining things and making them a bit clear for me. I think I'm getting it now.

So when a friend goes/went to your wedding, they do not need to bring a gift because because their presence is their present... but when YOU go to your friends' weddings you need to bring a gift because your presence isn't quite enough of a present and your hug or kiss doesn't quite give the message that you sincerely love and care about them. Gottcha.

In fairness, I think the OP started it with their bitchy comments about the guests who didn't give here enough money ;)

In fairness, I think the OP started it with their bitchy comments about the guests who didn't give here enough money ;)

Yeah, the thread continued as it started. Weddings bring out the worst in so many people. Which is another reason I want to avoid. If that makes me superior, so be it.

Again you are not getting the point!

What is a "stingy" wedding present?

To me, guests bringing themselves and their good wishes for the bride and groom to a wedding is not a "stingy" present - it is a beautiful gift.

So what (if anything) would constitute a 'stingy' wedding present in your eyes Diddler1977 ?

• Advertisement

Muckit wrote: »
    Hi Diddler1977

Thanks for explaining things and making them a bit clear for me. I think I'm getting it now.

So when a friend goes/went to your wedding, they do not need to bring a gift because because their presence is their present... but when YOU go to your friends' weddings you need to bring a gift because your presence isn't quite enough of a present and your hug or kiss doesn't quite give the message that you sincerely love and care about them. Gottcha.

Yeah that's their issue!

A kiss or a hug is enough of a present for ME!

Hi Diddler1977

Can't you just take the post as the poster intended rather than rewording it dripping with sarcasm?

Personally for me, while I do give a gift I don't expect one. If someone doesn't give one I don't judge or deride them, it is what it is.

So what (if anything) would constitute a 'stingy' wedding present in your eyes Diddler1977 ?

What kind of crazy question is this? From what he/she has described as "not stingy" it's patently obvious that no gift is stingy to them. That whatever a person chooses to give will be accepted graciously.

What a nasty, bitter person you are. I was brought up to show good manners. What about you??

Hi ABajaninCork

Thank you for your reply. I cannot figure out why you think I am a nasty and bitter person...? If you read back on my post that you replied to, I asked two questions. I am simply trying to figure out WHY people see it as OK for them to give a present, but that it's OK for others not too. I just don't get it.

Nobody has, as yet, been able to give me an answer.

Hi ABajaninCork

Thank you for your reply. I cannot figure out why you think I am a nasty and bitter person...? If you read back on my post that you replied to, I asked two questions. I am simply trying to figure out WHY people see it as OK for them to give a present, but that it's OK for others not too. I just don't get it.

I choose to give presents.

I choose to not judge people who don't give me what constitutes a typical gift.

Not hard to understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I am simply trying to figure out WHY people see it as OK for them to give a present, but that it's OK for others not too. I just don't get it.

Plenty of people have given you the answer. Manners.

I was brought up that it was polite to give a gift.

I was also brought up that it is polite not to expect a gift.

And also to accept whatever a person gives you or whatever they don't give you graciously.

That someone does not give me a gift means no more or less than the fact that I give them a gift.

It's not difficult muckit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

If you gave a friend a gift for their wedding and they gave you absolutely zilch for yours it'd be grand? Sure. It's not about the value or the type of gift, it's the gesture of goodwill and friendship. And god forbid, thanks for the invite to a great day.

Shur why give Christmas, birthday, anniversary presents so?

I hate the bridezilla stuff too - it's sick some of it, but I really can't see how it's ok to go to the wedding of a friend and give nothing at all, ever. That is not the same as demanding an extravagant present to recoup wedding costs.

Madam_X wrote: »
    If you gave a friend a gift for their wedding and they gave you absolutely zilch for yours it'd be grand? Sure. It's not about the value or the type of gift, it's the gesture of goodwill and friendship.

If they are giving you the gift of friendship they are not giving you zilch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

If they are giving you the gift of friendship they are not giving you zilch.
    Aren't goodwill gestures part of friendship? Are you saying you'd be cool with a friend never ever reciprocating any nice gesture you've carried out for them. The above comment looks a *tad* obtuse...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement