Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does being married make it easer to get planning

Options
  • 24-08-2012 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has had any success or stories of getting planning though easier when your married.

My wife and I are thinking about putting in for permission on a site that she owns, but has not been able to get planning on, and I was wonder if it might make a difference that we are married now in getting the permission!

Any insights or thoughts?

Cheers
    Tagged:

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has had any success or stories of getting planning though easier when your married.

My wife and I are thinking about putting in for permission on a site that she owns, but has not been able to get planning on, and I was wonder if it might make a difference that we are married now in getting the permission!

Any insights or thoughts?

Cheers

No.

unless her married status was a reason for refusal ;)

Can you outline to us here what the reasons for refusal were on her previous application?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 mechainical

Hey Syd,

the main reasons for refusal where on the ground of outstanding natural beauty. However, she is from the area since birth, and is the 5th generation of her family. The site is less than 2km from her parents home, and this should over rule any objection apart from a road hazard one, which it is not.

The problem is that there are no specific rules only guidelines for the permission stage. We are desperate to get the planing, and just hoped that we might get it though as Mr & Mrs (my name)?

I am hopeful but also realistic, and I can't see it making a difference, but thought it was worth asking the question!

Cheers

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

well mechanicial, being married is not going to change the fact that site is within an area designated as 'outstanding natural beauty'.

If she is purchasing a site then the obvious question is why try to purchase a site in an area where there are restrictions applied?? she should look for a site which is not within this designation.
    The "guidelines" you refer to can be taken as "rules" in this case.... it is only in exceptional circumstances that these guidelines can be altered... and in the case of a site being purchased, the circumstances are definitely not exceptional.

also, meeting rural needs does in no way supercede the requirement to have adequate safe sightlines from the proposed entrance.

so if she is buying a site she must find one where:

1. it has decent percolation test results
    2. it has no restricted sightlines
    3. is located in an area with no restrictions such as Outstanding natural beauty, or similar.

then and only then should you look to design a dwelling suitable for that location.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sweeney1971

Someone who I knew in England (where planning is more restricted) knew he was having a site visit by the Planners. He borrowed his brothers kids, his neighbours kids and their friends and convinced the planners he needed a bigger house because of the size of his family and that it was near his parents who help with the kids. No questions asked and he had their backing for planning. Its worth a try.

Hey Syd,

The site is a family site, purchased many years ago as a place for my wife, her brother and her sister to build there own homes.

On the safe sight lines from the site, I was not suggesting that local need supersedes this, I was saying that local need does not supersede it.

The percolation tests have been done, all good.
    Sight lines are all good.

So the only thing stopping us is outstanding natural beauty. The house that we have in mind is a low roof pitch bungalow, with lots of screening. We want to live there because of the beauty, not to ruin it by putting a big eye sore in it!

I was under the impression that if there is a local need, the planning should not be refused on the grounds of outstanding natural beauty. Am I wrong in this thinking?

Cheers

• Advertisement

Someone who I knew in England (where planning is more restricted) knew he was having a site visit by the Planners. He borrowed his brothers kids, his neighbours kids and their friends and convinced the planners he needed a bigger house because of the size of his family and that it was near his parents who help with the kids. No questions asked and he had their backing for planning. Its worth a try.

I'm not sure the planning is more restricted in England, but anyway, this would only happen if you knew when the planner was going up there, and I'm pretty sure even then, it would not be as easy as that, like in "Into The West"!

I could get into a rant about the planners etc. but I won't, we just want our planning! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Certified

mechainical, Just to clarify, did your wife get refused in a previous application because the proposed site is located in a landscape designated as an area of outstanding natural beauty (AONB) and the planner thinks the site in question is unsuitably exposed/elevated or was it because there may not have been enough information submitted?
    You can find this out from her file report.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

You will need to check the relevant county development plan and any guidance or policies it may have in terms of permitting development in an area of natural beauty, as the development plan policies have a significant part to play in planning decisions.

If that can be overcome, I would suggest that it would be best to engage a very good design architect (possibly an award winning one) to design a house for you. Be prepared that the resultant design mostly properly will not be what is considered a very conventional looking bungalow/house.

Planning in the UK is far more restricted in the open countryside than here and even in many villages it can be quiet difficult to get planning for a new dwelling.

Advertisement