Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool V Man City Aug 26th 4:00pm - Sky Sports 1

• 24-08-2012 8:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭

1olQc.jpg

Liverpool looking to bounce back as City visit Anfield.
    Liverpool face a tough challenge to bounce back from their defeat on the opening weekend as they welcome champions Manchester City to Anfield.
    Brendan Rodgers' honeymoon period in the Anfield hot seat came to an abrupt end last Saturday when his side were put to the sword at The Hawthorns.
    Daniel Agger saw red and Joe Cole pulled a hamstring again as Liverpool slid to a 3-0 defeat against the side now coached by their recently departed number two, Steve Clarke.
    Their new manager had one eye on the visit of the Premier League champions when he rested several senior players for the midweek Europa League tie against Hearts.
    Rodgers will be keen to impress the Anfield faithful in his first league game since taking charge, and memories will be fresh from a spirited two-legged win over City in last season's Carling Cup semi-final.
    But whether Andy Carroll will be involved on Sunday remains open to question. The striker was absent from the win over Hearts with a slight hamstring twinge, but overall the England international does not appear to fit into Rodgers' long-term plans.

The L4 postcode is not the happiest of hunting grounds for Roberto Mancini, who has yet to win a game in three visits to Anfield - and is also without a victory when taking City to the blue side of Stanley Park.
    But the Italian takes his team on the short trip along the M62 on the back of a stirring comeback that ensured they started their Premier League title defence with three points.
    The 3-2 win over Southampton recalled the astonishing way they clinched the title in May, but Liverpool will have noted how City conceded with the first-choice defence of Vincent Kompany and Joleon Lescott in the ranks.
    Jack Rodwell will get a warm reception if selected for a swift return to Merseyside, but Nigel de Jong may get the nod ahead of the former Everton man. Indeed the Dutchman would relish the chance, having bagged a rare, and spectacular, goal at Anfield in the Carling Cup in January.
    A win for City would be their first at the home of the five-time European champions since Nicolas Anelka's last-minute strike gave them three points in May 2003.

Liverpool Team News :
    Captain Steven Gerrard will be back after being rested for the Europa League tie against Hearts, while Luis Suarez, Martin Skrtel and Glen Johnson are also set to return.

Luis Enrique could also be in the mix after being forced to miss the defeat to West Brom with a knee injury. Cole's involvement must be under question after he aggravated a hamstring injury at the Hawthorns.

Daniel Agger is out due to the one-game ban the Dane received for his red card against West Brom. Andy Carroll missed the midweek Hearts game with a hamstring twinge.

Liverpool Squad:
    Reina, Kelly, Johnson, Skrtel, Carragher, Gerrard, Lucas,
    Allen, Downing, Suarez, Borini, Jones, Coates, Enrique, Henderson, Shelvey,
    Spearing, Adam, Sterling, Carroll.

Man City Team News:
    Sergio Aguero's knee injury, sustained early in the win over Southampton, keeps the Argentinean out for around a month and leaves Mancini with an interesting choice over who to partner Carlos Tevez.

Edin Dzeko looks to be in pole position having scored off the bench last week, and Mario Balotelli had a poor time at Anfield in this fixture last season, getting sent off just 18 minutes after coming on as a substitute.

Gareth Barry is still absent following surgery on the abdominal problem that kept him out of Euro 2012, while Micah Richards' ankle injury could keep him out until the end of October.

Man City Squad:
    Hart, Pantilimon, Zabaleta, Kompany, Lescott, K Toure, Savic, Clichy, Kolarov, Nasri, Milner, Johnson, Y Toure, De Jong, Rodwell, Silva, Tevez, Balotelli, Dzeko

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head
    Manchester City have not beaten Liverpool at Anfield in the Premier League since winning 2-1 in May 2003 (a run encompassing nine matches without victory).
    Liverpool have won half of the past 20 Premier League games between the two clubs, compared to Manchester City's four.
    Liverpool
    Liverpool have lost 10 of their past 15 Premier League games.
    They have only won one of their past five Premier League games at Anfield (4-1 versus Chelsea).
    No full-time Liverpool manager has ever won his opening Premier League match in charge of the club (three draws and four defeats).
    Manchester City
    City have won their last three competitive games by a scoreline of 3-2.
    They only conceded 17 goals away from home last season.
    Roberto Mancini's side are now unbeaten in their last 29 Premier League home games, winning 27 and drawing two since a 2-1 defeat by Everton in December 2010.
    Carlos Tevez is now two goals away from becoming the first player to score 50 times in the Premier League for Manchester City

Confirmed Line Ups :

Cdeutl.jpgTCAzel.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Nice thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

After carra starting and playing the full 90 last night surely Coates will start? Hopefully anyways. Would like to see borini up front and suarez on the wing.

Nice write up BTW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

After carra starting and playing the full 90 last night surely Coates will start? Hopefully anyways. Would like to see borini up front and suarez on the wing.

Nice write up BTW.

I'd prefer to see Coates playing as he will have more pace but I have a feeling he will pick Carragher because of his experience in the big games. I think we might see some interchanges between Suarez/Borini. I'm looking forward to this :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I would settle for a draw, tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Lars1916 wrote: »
    I would settle for a draw, tbh

I'd bite your hand for one. Not too optimistic about this game at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Can't see past a win for City here.
    Hope I'm wrong.
    I'll go 1-2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

Also inb4 roger sterling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Luap

Can't see past a Liverpool win.

City unconvincing last week and missing Aguero.

2-0 Pool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Just can't see Liverpool scoring the goals to win. City will score. If Liverpool can keep it tight they might get a draw but I'd go for a 2-1 City win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Luap wrote: »

2-0 Pool

Well if you're using that logic then you should probably watch Liverpool's game against WBA.

I'd be surprised if City don't come out with a win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

I wonder will Robinson start the game on Sunday. I thought it was part of the reason he got pulled off early last night.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

opr wrote: »
    I wonder will Robinson start the game on Sunday. I thought it was part of the reason he got pulled off early last night.

Opr

Big game to be putting him out against Nasri, Silva etc. But if we Rodgers thinks Liverpool will have most of the possession I'd definitely go for it. He's much more comfortable on the ball than Kelly and gives us a better balance.

Would be a lot less uneasy if he had Agger beside him though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

I don't want to see Carragher or Downing starting personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Luap wrote: »

2-0 Pool

And Liverpool weren't :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

cgpg5 wrote: »

But they looked amazing against Hearts last night. 3-0 Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Knex. wrote: »
    Big game to be putting him out against Nasri, Silva etc. But if we Rodgers thinks Liverpool will have most of the possession I'd definitely go for it. He's much more comfortable on the ball than Kelly and gives us a better balance.

Would be a lot less uneasy if he had Agger beside him though.

Yeah sorry I forgot Agger was out for the game. I think as you say he would give the side a better balance but probably a stretch too far given we're already without Agger.

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Luap

cgpg5 wrote: »

Yes Liverpool have been unconvincing against lesser opposition for a number of seasons, they seem to step up to another level when playing better teams.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I'm expecting a good pool performance but if we end up with a draw, I'll be a happy camper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Anyone think downing might start Left Back?

an interesting stat from the hearts mach was that Downing attempted more passes in his 20 minutes than kelly did all game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I would play:

Reina

Johnson----Skrtel
    Coates
    Robinson

Lucas

Allen
    Henderson

Suarez
    Gerrard----Borini

with the front 3 changing at will.

Subs: Jones, Kelly, Carragher, Shelvey, Downing, Sterling, Assaidi

I expect Kelly, Carragher and Downing instead of Coates, Robinson and Henderson though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

i would play

reina
    johnson
    skrtel
    coates
    downing

lucas

gerrard
    allen

--suarez
    carroll
    borini--

if carroll is fit that is

i dont expect that team whatsoever though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Aissati not in the squad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Anyone think downing might start Left Back?

an interesting stat from the hearts mach was that Downing attempted more passes in his 20 minutes than kelly did all game.

no too much of a risk in a big game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Carragher, you say? This'll be a massacre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Hopefully there's less complacency from us in this one, not a good look as defending champions to struggle against two lesser teams in consecutive weeks.

Expecting a draw though given its away from home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Roger Sterling

Liverpool to raise their game for the big occasion as ever and take at least a point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Fully expect a Man City win in this one, can see Tevez giving Carra an awful roasting. Would rather see Dzeko start than Balo myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

This will be a close game IMO although i think City will have enough to beat them.

Liverpool will up their game and wont want to be humiliated again, especially at Anfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Hopefully there's less complacency from us in this one, not a good look as defending champions to struggle against two lesser teams in consecutive weeks.

Expecting a draw though given its away from home.

What a dig! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

What a dig! :pac:

It is, but it's also true that at the moment City are on a completely different level to Liverpool. With Liverpool being at home, and generally at their best against the best teams, as well as Aguero missing, I'm predicting a draw, with a fair chance of Liverpool nicking it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Wouldn't most teams in the league be considered "lesser teams" to City though? They are Champions after all.

Only the very sensitive could possibly find offence in that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Des wrote: »
    Wouldn't most teams in the league be considered "lesser teams" to City though? They are Champions after all.

Indeed, really I think the only teams where it wouldn't be considered a pretty big upset to beat City this year are Utd, Chelsea, and maybe Arsenal (if their new purchases click).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Coates to smash in a towering header from six yards with moments to go to give Rodgers his first points as pool gaffer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

With Carragher starting could be a long day for Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Score draw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Man City 3 - 0 Carragher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Come on the pool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Indeed, only the very sensitive would actually make a point of it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

redzerdrog wrote: »
    i would play

reina
    johnson
    skrtel
    coates
    downing

lucas

gerrard
    allen

--suarez
    carroll
    borini--

if carroll is fit that is

i dont expect that team whatsoever though

This is exactly the team I would start tomorrow (if Enrique is not fit).

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

2-1 Man City. Nasri, Tevez and Suarez with the goals

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

I'd like to see Assaidi get a run out at some stage, the unknown factor might work in Liverpool's favour! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I can't see Liverpool getting anything out of this! Two nil to City!

I'd never dismiss Liverpool lightly at Anfield. Should have beaten them last year in a one sided affair.

I'm gonna say 1-1 in an entertaining match.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I'd never dismiss Liverpool lightly at Anfield. Should have beaten them last year in a one sided affair.

I'm gonna say 1-1 in an entertaining match.

Usually i'm confident when it comes to games at Anfield, but i just think it's gonna be a slow start for Rodgers. I think we could be ripped apart tomorrow and when i say two nil defeat, i mean we'll get away with a two nil defeat.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Liverpool seem to always up their game with a bigger team, being underdogs for this will hopefully work in our favour. I'd take a draw but a win would be fantastic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I'm gonna go with a 0-0 or 1-3 City win.

Really hope we can get the 3 points to increase the feel good factor at the club after landing Sahin. As long as the fans support the team I'll be happy!

I'm gonna go with a 0-0 or 1-3 City

:confused::confused::confused:???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

monkey9 wrote: »
    :confused::confused::confused:???

What's confusing about that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Someone in work said to me that City had never beaten Liverpool at Anfield, is this true?

Can't be can it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Someone in work said to me that City had never beaten Liverpool at Anfield, is this true?

Can't be can it?

Well I can't remember one stretching back towards the early nineties anyway...

• Advertisement
Advertisement