Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool V Man City Aug 26th 4:00pm - Sky Sports 1

1101112131416»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Before the match, I said, I would be happy with a draw. I still am, but the 2:2 was...I don't know...unlucky? Clumsy? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Did Lescott have a knock today or was Kolo Toure just preferred?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Paully D wrote: »
    Did Lescott have a knock today or was Kolo Toure just preferred?

Think Kolo was playing because he has played in the 3 at the back formations that were used in pre-season,Lescott wasnt,strange one though.

Clichy's missus gave birth on Saturday so was unavailable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Just watched the Tevez goal again and what was Coates at? Glued tight to a player near right back while his centre half partner has the ball at left back. At least 40 yards of space between them. If he isn't going to shift across to that space then at least make sure one of the midfielders fills in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Just watched the Tevez goal again and what was Coates at? Glued tight to a player near right back while his centre half partner has the ball at left back. At least 40 yards of space between them. If he isn't going to shift across to that space then at least make sure one of the midfielders fills in.

Allen should have filled it but he pushed up field instead.

• Advertisement

Allen should have filled it but he pushed up field instead.

That's one of the options yep but centre halves still should never be that far apart. Ideally Coates should've tucked over on to Tevez with Johnson following around to Dzeko (I think it was) and the right winger becomes a temporary right back while the ball's on the left.

While it was a howler of backpass, Tevez should never have had that much space to play in.

That's one of the options yep but centre halves still should never be that far apart. Ideally Coates should've tucked over on to Tevez with Johnson following around to Dzeko (I think it was) and the right winger becomes a temporary right back while the ball's on the left.

While it was a howler of backpass, Tevez should never have had that much space to play in.

Rodgers always has the centre backs that far apart when we have possession so we can let our full backs get forward. When Skrtel had the ball our full back was near the half way line.

Rodgers always has the centre backs that far apart when we have possession so we can let our full backs get forward. When Skrtel had the ball our full back was near the half way line.

Fair enough but that's seriously playing with fire imo, especially if the midfielder who is supposed to be dropping in didn't have the discipline to do so.

Basically what I'm saying is that the goal wasn't just down to a poor backpass, other factors could have prevented it as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Fair enough but that's seriously playing with fire imo, especially if the midfielder who is supposed to be dropping in didn't have the discipline to do so.

Basically what I'm saying is that the goal wasn't just down to a poor backpass, other factors could have prevented it as well.

Rodgers basically said as much in the post match interviews!

monkey9 wrote: »
    Rodgers basically said as much in the post match interviews!

Haven't seen any post match interviews but good to see he recognised that.

• Advertisement

The problem for today was that Lucas went off injured so Allen had to play a role he wasn't really familiar with which didn't help on that goal. I think the idea is right but like with most new systems/tactics it's going to take a while for players to remember and learn it off like it's second nature.

I agree with the second part, posted my views on the goals in the Liverpool thread
    I've re-watched the goals a few times. On the first one I think Sterling is to slow is getting back to defend and is beaten a bit to easily by Tevez, he struggles to even break his stride. Also I'm not to sure but I think I Reina actually shouts out "Pepe" just before Skrtel heads it. But he has already jumped for it so I'm not sure there is much he can do. Kelly is flat-footed and ball just bounces of his leg, still should have re-acted quicker though.

Second goal is interesting. Skrtel will obviously get the blame from most people but I feel for him. He's a right footed player on the left side of defence so his confidence in his left foot probably isn't great. Johnson stays hugging the touchline and seems to push up to far for Sktrel to squeeze a pass through Silva(I think). Shlvey comes deep but then just stands there and walks and doesn't bother giving Skrtel the chance to pass, really poor play there. Sterling is the only one who made an effort for Skrtel but he was well marked. Allen also broke further up field when he should have stay closer to Tevez. Even if Skrtel turns, looks up a see's Tevez he is still under huge pressure to do something with the ball.

Haven't seen any post match interviews but good to see he recognised that.

He refused to blame Skrtel and commented on his bravery to keep playing ball rather than hoofing. That's just standard stuff of course and he may well say something different in private.

But when pressed on the matter and in terms of stopping that kind of thing, he did mention that he'll talk with the players in terms of positioning and the angle in which they allow themselves to receive a pass.

I don't know if he was referring to Coates or the availability of players ahead of Skrtel to receive the ball, but i've no doubt things will be worked on in training.

That second goal actually is a perfect example of what i was saying in the Liverpool thread of how players need time to adjust to Rodgers' system. I was watching Swansea yesterday and they seemed so comfortable playing it out from the back. Each player seemed to know where everybody else was positioned and what pass to play.

The ease with which that kind of play comes to the players will need time to develop at Liverpool and will also need a general overhaul of the squad to mould the team into the Rodgers way of thinking.

He refused to blame Skrtel and commented on his bravery to keep playing ball rather than hoofing. That's just standard stuff of course and he may well say something different in private.

But when pressed on the matter and in terms of stopping that kind of thing, he did mention that he'll talk with the players in terms of positioning and the angle in which they allow themselves to receive a pass.

I don't know if he was referring to Coates or the availability of players ahead of Skrtel to receive the ball, but i've no doubt things will be worked on in training.

That second goal actually is a perfect example of what i was saying in the Liverpool thread of how players need time to adjust to Rodgers' system. I was watching Swansea yesterday and they seemed so comfortable playing it out from the back. Each player seemed to know where everybody else was positioned and what pass to play.

That natural instinct will need time to develop at Liverpool and will also need a general overhaul of the squad to mould the team into the Rodgers way of thinking.

Skrtel should be part of that overhaul, at least as a starter imo. For me he's too prone to a brainfart and we saw it a couple of times yesterday with the goal obviously and when he got away without a booking for the foul on Balotelli which could have led to a goal as well.

It looks like he's there to stay though with the new contract but I don't really rate him, especially if it's a ball playing system at the back.

Skrtel should be part of that overhaul, at least as a starter imo. For me he's too prone to a brainfart and we saw it a couple of times yesterday with the goal obviously and when he got away without a booking for the foul on Balotelli which could have led to a goal as well.

It looks like he's there to stay though with the new contract but I don't really rate him, especially if it's a ball playing system at the back.

Yeah, Skrtel doesn't seem like a Rodgers type of defender at all. Agger is a perfect example of somebody who is.

But Skrtel really is a solid defender who was so good last season. When he first signed back in 2008, he was class for a year and a half. Then he just went to sh!t to the extent where i just wanted him sold.

But last season under Kenny he was brilliant. Himself and Agger were a great partnership. What happened today was just a misjudgement. He should have looked up, he didn't and we gifted you's a point. It was mistake and i don't mind that because players make mistakes, it's natural.

The 'brainfart' side of Skrtel is when he goes for balls he's not entitled to. Instead of shepherding a player out, he'll go through the back of them or jump for headers he doesn't need to go for.

If he gets used to passing it short as Rodgers wants, he'll be grand. But that remains to be seen.

Yeah, Skrtel doesn't seem like a Rodgers type of defender at all. Agger is a perfect example of somebody who is.

But Skrtel really is a solid defender who was so good last season. When he first signed back in 2008, he was class for a year and a half. Then he just went to sh!t to the extent where i just wanted him sold.

But last season under Kenny he was brilliant. Himself and Agger were a great partnership. What happened today was just a misjudgement. He should have looked up, he didn't and we gifted you's a point. It was mistake and i don't mind that because players make mistakes, it's natural.

The 'brainfart' side of Skrtel is when he goes for balls he's not entitled to. Instead of shepherding a player out, he'll go through the back of them or jump for headers he doesn't need to go for.

If he gets used to passing it short as Rodgers wants, he'll be grand. But that remains to be seen.

Fortunately for Skrtel, he'll be given the chances to learn the system because the supporters for the most part will give Rodgers and the players time to sink or swim.

I have my doubts whether he is composed enough on the ball to be able to do it though. Playing on the right side of the central two when Agger comes back should help a bit I suppose. If he had confidence in his left foot or was on the other side that ball would've gone down the line instead of back inside towards Reina.

It's a big year for Skrtel with the new contract and a new manager putting faith in him but the first two games haven't been confidence inspiring to say the least.

Fortunately for Skrtel, he'll be given the chances to learn the system because the supporters for the most part will give Rodgers and the players time to sink or swim.

I have my doubts whether he is composed enough on the ball to be able to do it though. Playing on the right side of the central two when Agger comes back should help a bit I suppose. If he had confidence in his left foot or was on the other side that ball would've gone down the line instead of back inside towards Reina.

It's a big year for Skrtel with the new contract and a new manager putting faith in him but the first two games haven't been confidence inspiring to say the least.

Rightly so as well.

Last week only Reina came out with any credit imo. Today, i thought Skrtel was superb. Of course, he messed up for the goal and i know that's the vital thing. But he performs like last year then i'll be happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

what was with the shirt swapping? liverpool players running for city players like it was an honour to play on the same pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Leftist wrote: »
    what was with the shirt swapping? liverpool players running for city players like it was an honour to play on the same pitch.

Because we're champions and therefore awesome!!?

Only saw Sterling swapping jerseys,wasnt paying that much attention though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Gerty

Leftist wrote: »

I only saw Sterling go for Tevez's.

Got to give the lad a break. When I was 17, if I had been in 5th year and was starting for the school soccer team I would hardly have been able to contain my nerves/excitement.

The lad was playing for Liverpool against Man City in only his second competitive start (his first away to Hearts I think). As long as he didn't run up and shove Allen out of the way, there is nothing wrong with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

wasn't only sterling tbf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Suarez and Kompany swapped as well I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Have to agree with the criticism of Skrtel. If you have a striker who drifts out of games for long periods but scores a lot of goals that's perfectly acceptable. No good having a defender who plays great most of the game but makes goal-conceding mistakes on the reg. I know he was POTY last year but I do worry about Skrtel. He gets out of position and engages in the ridiculous wrestling matches a bit too regularly for my liking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Just leaving this here as well its a cracking free kick

di-4UT6.gif

Advertisement