Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lough acalla

Options
  • 24-08-2012 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Does any1 fish there.what flies should I use.i is it good

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭dvae

i used to fish there quite a lot.
    fish average about lbs to 1.5lbs, but there are a few fish a lot bigger.
    there are 2 ramps on the lake. the first is to the left of the car park the other is straight out at the back of the island. (north shore)
    the best fishing can be had of the top of the first ramp (left of the car park) if you can get a wind behind you. there are 2 walls that run in to the lake from the car park. these are also good spots to fish.
    wading can also be good. all the wading is to the right of the car park, right up to the north shore and the far ramp.
    when the fish are on, any flies are good. this time of year long bodied flies are good. bibo, green arse baby doll, red head montana, daddy long legs (yellow body) will catch fish there anytime.
    the only draw back to calla is the fish taste muddy. i find removing the back bone, and steeping them in salty water for an hour before cooking solves this.
    calla has had its problems in the past with weed and algae, but this seems not to be bad as it was one time.
    all in all, calla is a really nice place to fish. €40 for a season ticket has to be the best value for money ticket you'll ever buy. there are plenty of local lads there that are sound to talk to, and always willing to give advice if needed.
    almost forgot the fish are hard fighting too.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Eriesniper

Thanks heading down to acalla Sunday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

how did you get on? Thinking of going for an hour or 2 next friday evening. havnt fished there in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Eriesniper

how did you get on? Thinking of going for an hour or 2 next friday evening. havnt fished there in a few weeks.
    Not great only one rainbow .even the local fishers weren't getting nothing even their were a hatch of seges.and the lake is flooded

Advertisement