Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Vs Newcastle Utd Aug 25th 17:30pm -ESPN

• 24-08-2012 9:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Newcastle wont be pushovers but I think Chelsea will have a little too much
    They are starting to tick & Hazard looks a super addition to the team.
    Chelsea to win this 2-0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Newcastle wont be pushovers but I think Chelsea will have a little too much
    They are starting to tick & Hazard looks a super addition to the team.
    Chelsea to win this 2-0.

Have to say I can't disagree with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Tiote out injured tomorrow, that's a huge blow for Newcastle, if Chelseas defence can stay focused for 90 mins I think we should win this, unfortunately I can't see that happening, I'm convinced we'll concede a goal so I'll go for 3-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Aquila wrote: »
    Will be an interesting contrast how Chelsea perform compared to last seasons encounter.wonder will the new signings make an appearance?

I dont think we cared that much last season - it was all about the CL
    We had players missing etc etc. Newcastle caught us at a good time.

I think we will win, Newcastle are missing some players themselves and weve had an extra match fitness

oh and theres this guy called Hazard!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

I think Chelsea will make some changes for this game. Wouldn't be surprised if Mata and Lampard sat this one out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭Danye

I dont think we cared that much last season - it was all about the CL
    We had players missing etc etc. Newcastle caught us at a good time.

I think we will win, Newcastle are missing some players themselves and weve had an extra match fitness

oh and theres this guy called Hazard!

Newcastle played during the week. Should be a good game with two good teams on show and some fantastic individuals.

Can't really see anything but a Chelsea win though.

Rekop dog wrote: »
    I think Chelsea will make some changes for this game. Wouldn't be surprised if Mata and Lampard sat this one out.

Di Matteo has said that he's going to rest Mata some time in September but I think he needs a break now, he looks absolutely wrecked, he played some amount of games last season and all through the summer, I think Lampard and Mikel will start in CM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Is Terr definetly out? :( suddenly a bit less confident. Point wouldnt be a bad result for Chelsea IMO. It would be an improvement on last season!

• Advertisement

Caveman1 wrote: »
    Di Matteo has said that he's going to rest Mata some time in September but I think he needs a break now, he looks absolutely wrecked, he played some amount of games last season and all through the summer, I think Lampard and Mikel will start in CM

Reckon Raul could start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Caveman1 wrote: »

Yeah he didn't actually play *that* much during the summer, a couple of minutes in the Euros and the 3 games in the Olympics but I guess the training most days during the summer and lack of holiday would take it's toll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

This could be a great game. Chelsea beat them in St. James' Park last time out, but that means nothing.

Will be a tight game. Chelsea will concede at least one goal I reckon. No idea how it could go. I'd be happy with a draw. Newcastle at home will be a game that nobody will relish, even the big guns.

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Yeah he didn't actually play *that* much during the summer, a couple of minutes in the Euros and the 3 games in the Olympics but I guess the training most days during the summer and lack of holiday would take it's toll.

Thats what I meant sorry, he hasnt had a rest in ages, I reckon when Marin is back from injury Mata will be rested, at least then we'll be covered in all positions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

Tiote out is a massive blow for us and Ba and Coloccini face late fitness tests. If we had a midfield 3 of Anita and Tiote sitting deep with Cabaye in front of them it would be very difficult for Chelsea as they seem to want to play everything through the middle, judging by the first two league games. But injuries are going to make this very difficult.

Anita has also played a full 90mins in Greece on Thursday night in 30c heat so this will be a big ask on his likely premier league debut.

I'm going to remain a bit optimistic and say we can still take a point which I would be delighted with all things considered, but we haven't seen how this Newcastle team will react to a European game midweek yet so it could possibly be a rude awakening.

1-1 (If Ba and Coloccini start)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Terrys out, Luiz should be ok so Ivanovic should be RB with Luiz and Cahill CB.

Hoping we can pick up the win but Newcastle are no push overs what so ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Terrys out, Luiz should be ok so Ivanovic should be RB with Luiz and Cahill CB.

Hoping we can pick up the win but Newcastle are no push overs what so ever.

thanking the football gods Luiz is ok..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

I reckon it'll be a tough game, both sides changed a bit since the last outing. Chelsea will be much stronger.

But.

We have Papiss Cissé :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

A close affair, Chelsea to edge it 2-1.
    Controversially!!

• Advertisement

could be called off!

There could be an element of doubt about Chelsea's game against Newcastle.
    It has been raining heavily at Stamford Bridge, and Newcastle have tweeted: "Referee Phil Dowd having a chat with the groundstaff, the assistants are looking at the surface water by the touchlines. Still raining."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Big test for Chelsea today. I watched NC last week and they looked very strong against spurs.

Chelsea defence looks shakey lately and having Terry out aint going to help matters.

Barr wrote: »
    Big test for Chelsea today. I watched NC last week and they looked very strong against spurs.

Chelsea defence looks shakey lately and having Terry out aint going to help matters.

Really? I thought we were poor last week and were very lucky to beat Spurs.

This better not be called off, looking forward to it all day!

could be called off!

There could be an element of doubt about Chelsea's game against Newcastle.
    It has been raining heavily at Stamford Bridge, and Newcastle have tweeted: "Referee Phil Dowd having a chat with the groundstaff, the assistants are looking at the surface water by the touchlines. Still raining."

We should be ok. England has had a few games called off though. Hopefully it goes ahead, the tv companies will want it to go ahead definetly.

Cech
    Ivan Luiz Cahill Cole
    Mkkel Meoreles
    Mata Hazard Bertrand
    Torres.

Bertrand again and meirles ffs

Newcastle :

Krul
    simpson coloccini taylor santon
    jonas anita cabaye ben arfa
    ba cisse

Before seeing the teams id say Chelsea win bt now im thinking draw but hope for all 3 points.

weve to stop ba and cisse at all costs but tiote out is a huge loss.

and back on again!

Just hope it doesnt affect our slick passing game ;)

Things are looking very good for Chelsea's game against Newcastle at Stamford Bridge to go ahead, despite a heavy downpour this afternoon.
    Newcastle have tweeted: "Preparations continue as normal so at the moment - no sign of a postponement. Chelsea's three goalkeepers run out to warm-up."

9 changes from Thursday shows how much our squad's improved. Should be a great game looking at the line-up!

and back on again!

Just hope it doesnt affect our slick passing game ;)

Things are looking very good for Chelsea's game against Newcastle at Stamford Bridge to go ahead, despite a heavy downpour this afternoon.
    Newcastle have tweeted: "Preparations continue as normal so at the moment - no sign of a postponement. Chelsea's three goalkeepers run out to warm-up."

They veey rarely call off games that are live, thank god :pac:

• Advertisement

9 changes from Thursday shows how much our squad's improved. Should be a great game looking at the line-up!

Ye're real contenders for a top 4 if we can keep all the key players injury free

Ye're real contenders for a top 4 if we can keep all the key players injury free

Therein lies the problem! Our starting 11 is strong but a top 6 challenge this year would be another great season imo.

Some amount of competition for the 4th spot.
    One thing I like about Roberto, he's not afraid to throw in a few curve balls with the line up,
    Who's on the bench?

Torres speaking on ESPN now. Decent interview, main thing ks he has the support of the fans, he says he owes the fans and wants to give even more.

Hopefully goals. :pac:

Torres speaking on ESPN now. Decent interview, main thing ks he has the support of the fans, he says he owes the fans and wants to give even more.

Hopefully goals. :pac:

A new Chelsea, an old Fernando?
    (cheeky smile out of him) "I hope so!"

Panthro wrote: »
    Some amount of competition for the 4th spot.
    One thing I like about Roberto, he's not afraid to throw in a few curve balls with the line up,
    Who's on the bench?

Turnbull
    lamps
    Essien
    romeu
    sturridge
    oscar
    rambo

• Advertisement

Our defence really has to be on the ball today and we cant give aaay simple balls. so losing terry and bringing in meireles has me really worried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

No Tioté a huge loss.

Still hopeful though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

I'm not sure which way this one will go, hoping for a chelsea win, but honestly just avoiding defeat will do nicely.

As i said in the Chelsea thread these are the games we have to win if we want to push on for the league. We need stamford bridge to be a fortress and to win 12 games at least there and hopefully lose only 1 or 2.

If were to be taken as contenders we have to beat newcastle who will be a real test I reckon and theyll be hoping to take something back north.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

As i said in the Chelsea thread these are the games we have to win if we want to push on for the league. We need stamford bridge to be a fortress and to win 12 games at least there and hopefully lose only 1 or 2.

If were to be taken as contenders we have to beat newcastle who will be a real test I reckon and theyll be hoping to take something back north.

I fully agree Gav, but to be realistic about it we are some way off City, can't see us winning the league this year, not saying it can't happen but it's doesn't look likely. In reality we struggled against Reading last time out and I'd class Newcastle as a much better team that Reading.

Like I said hoping for a win but will settle for a draw.

• Advertisement

I fully agree Gav, but to be realistic about it we are some way off City, can't see us winning the league this year, not saying it can't happen but it's doesn't look likely. In reality we struggled against Reading last time out and I'd class Newcastle as a much better team that Reading.

Like I said hoping for a win but will settle for a draw.

Ya id be happy with 3rd and push for the title until april.

Chelsea to win 2-1 with Hazard to score first, 25/1.
    The 1 euro bet has been placed!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

No defenders on the Chelsea bench?

IvySlayer wrote: »
    No defenders on the Chelsea bench?

Nope if we havw any problems i expect bertrand to go in there or maybe essien. we have a few options but no proper defenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Going to be a very tough game, we haven't beaten Newcastle at home since 2007.

Hopefully Hazard proves the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Battle of the perms, Luiz vs Coloccini

ah, the all too frequently seen hollywood shot early on from Merieles :(

Why does Mikel bother to shoot

Jesus Mikel, you can't shoot so stop trying!

Has Mikel ever scored for Chelsea ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement