Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Charlie Bird is to leave RTE

• 24-08-2012 9:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,545 ✭✭✭

Well after 38 years of this man being on our screens and airwaves. Charlie Bird is leaving the station within 3 weeks. He is 62 years; going on 63

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0824/breaking54.html

He is due to make his last broadcast on RTE Radio covering for Marian Finucane as a fill-in presenter sometime this weekend.

The first major story in RTE he was covering was in the Phillippines of the imprisoned Irish priest, Fr Niall O'Brien.

A question for you here guys, Does anyone here love or hate Charlie Bird?

His reports were usually short and concise during my lifetime while watching RTE News. Whenever he would make his reports on the last government;they were filled with lot of bias IMO.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Prick!

Flying the nest is he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

charlie bird is a hermaphrodite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

No loss, big wage saved there. If only they could get rid of some more now.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

Remember the documentary he did in the Antarctic or somewhere similar?
    There was a seal dry riding him. Hilarious viewing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Gods Speed Charlie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

At least we won't have to see him complaining after being sent on the cruise of a lifetime by RTÉ anymore
    Mans a gob****e, albeit a harmless one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭SugarCoat

Goodbye Mr. Recession fetish

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

god almighty i hear RTE is in deficit and their ratings arent much good,and look at all the money the have to pour into sharon ni bheolans botox fund alone on top of everything else,i cant even imagine brian dobsons wage,good riddance to those over earning and they have no shame in doing it no matter how bad RTE is doing.. its ridiculous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

Bemused as to why the man had such a job in the first place, he didn't seem qualified for it and never got the hang of it. The only memorable moments in his 38 year career are when he made an arse of himself once or twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

They just repeatedly punched me in the face...With their fists

Such a brave reporter, with an eloquent grasp of the English language, the likes of which we may never see again. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I felt sorry for Bird watching him on the documentary about his stint as Washington correspondent. He seemed to be so miserable, no friends, drinking like a fish on his own in a sports bar every night. Even his two American colleagues didn't seem to have much time for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Was this the seal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

You might say he's socially inept...

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

Was this the seal?
    An would you look at the cute furry head on him.
    The seal doesn't look to bad either :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Ah ! What can I say...The Birdman is off away...never recovered from his stint away from the mother ship in the States.

God speed laddie....an close the door behind you !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

He seems like a miserable git to me. I watched that documentary he appeared in which followed in the footsteps of Tom Crean and he came across as if he wasn't very interested himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

He seems like a miserable git to me. I watched that documentary he appeared in which followed in the footsteps of Tom Crean and he came across as if he wasn't very interested himself.

Always get that impression from him in everything he does. Its all about him and the documentary is just a vehicle!
    Theres just something about him. He seems like he has the personality to make some deep statements about what the subject matter is, but then he comes out with the most inane, superfluous and shallow twaddle imaginable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

LOL yeah i always had an image of charlie in a court room and some counseller pointing to a doll asking charlie, ok so where did the seal touch you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

Well after 38 years of this man being on our screens and airwaves. Charlie Bird is leaving the station within 3 weeks. He is 62 years; going on 63

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0824/breaking54.html

He is due to make his last broadcast on RTE Radio covering for Marian Finucane as a fill-in presenter sometime this weekend.

The first major story in RTE he was covering was in the Phillippines of the imprisoned Irish priest, Fr Niall O'Brien.

A question for you here guys, Does anyone here love or hate Charlie Bird?

His reports were usually short and concise during my lifetime while watching RTE News. Whenever he would make his reports on the last government;they were filled with lot of bias IMO.

I remember Charlie coming on Jo Maxi back in the day telling LC students about how he became a journalist. He went on about how he failed the Leaving and how he just kept trying after the LC to become a journalist. He seemed like the most down-to-earth and humble person. No airs and graces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

luckyfrank wrote: »
    charlie bird is a hermaphrodite
    You'd know that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭hopefulaplican

Looks like he's getting the flock out of there.

There's a very interesting interview going on this minute between Charlie and Michael Patwell, the former district judge.

Patwell is talking openly about how he left his job in Customs because he stopped a famous sports star and confiscated all his undeclared item and how he was reprimanded for that. More interestingly, he's talking openly about how he lobbied a politician to be appointed a judge. Amazingly frank interview going on now.

Listen here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Bring back Jo Maxi, get rid of all these overpaid RTE clowns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Patwell reakons his employment records have disappeared from his time as a customs official because of the incident with the sports star,Charlie completely ignores it..Fantasticly frank interview if only it had a decent interviewer.

Patwell named Sinn Féin as having people who do not serve democracy. He was asked could he add to his list. He said no. He could, however, also mention the very many members of Fine Gael, his own party, who still have fascistic tendencies today. There's a whole subclass in Fine Gael which carries on the Blueshirt tradition of the 1930s, are to the right of everything and would put "the market" above democracy any day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

NIMAN wrote: »
    No loss, big wage saved there. If only they could get rid of some more now.
    No, unfortunately we will fund his €200k lump sump and €80,000 per year for the rest of his life - he's hanging up his boots at the grand old age of 63.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/charlie-bird-after-38-years-this-bird-has-flown-3209784.html

The scandalous waste and profligacy at RTE (at our expense) would really make you want to vomit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

The bird is flying the coup.
    All the best birdy!

Bet he will be back within a year as an independent company presenter.
    Its a tax trick many of them in RTE are using!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I felt sorry for Bird watching him on the documentary about his stint as Washington correspondent. He seemed to be so miserable, no friends, drinking like a fish on his own in a sports bar every night. Even his two American colleagues didn't seem to have much time for him.

Apparently he did the durt with someone's wife in RTE and got cast out to the States.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

He'll be back on our screens soon with a documentary series about his retirement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I always wondered why he didn't change his name for tv. I mean Charlie is a girls name...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Didn't they send him to the Amazon and he just spent the whole time going "ah its awful buggy and humid"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Poor Charlie

His show about his life in Washington was very depressing

Sitting in a bar on his own watching the football, just looked very lonely :(

Where were his media friends?

I read Mark Little's book and he was out on the booze and in restaurants the whole time when he was there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭derb12

I recall him frantically calling over his guide to help him get insects out of his tent in that amazon series. he didn't even have the wit to edit that out.
    Also the fact that his two tv shows have had his name in the title seems a tad self-serving - especially putting his own name in before Tom Crean's in the antarctic show title.
    Great job on cornering P Flynn's despicable daughter, but apart from that he is a bit of a coaster imho!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

mikemac1 wrote: »

I read Mark Little's book and he was out on the booze and in restaurants the whole time when he was there

Not to mention hoorin'!

(No, not to my knowledge has Mark Little ever "hoored")

How did he get to be head of the news department,he's completely witless as a journalist.You have to wonder whats going on in RTE they seem to love talentless people and not only stick with them but have them promoted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭books4sale

Yeah.....poor Charlie indeed.

He'll get a nice lump sum for his effort somewhere up over the 200k mark and then an 80k annual pension.

The pretend stupid guy routine.......... the oldest trick in the book.

Who's cool now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Seanchai wrote: »
    I remember Charlie coming on Jo Maxi back in the day .

Do you have a link for that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Nobody REALLY leaves RTE. Look at Uncle Gaybo. He "left" in 1999 and now we're seeing more of him than ever.

CHARLIE BIRD WILL RETURN!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

RikkFlair wrote: »
    Nobody REALLY leaves RTE. Look at Uncle Gaybo. He "left" in 1999 and now we're seeing more of him than ever.

CHARLIE BIRD WILL RETURN!

No doubt. He'll probably be on The Late Late Show AND the other rubbish RTE talk shows with Finucane and O'Connors. Plus he'll probably pop up on 'The Restaurant' and maybe their 'celebrity' reality shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Is she on another ****ing holiday?

• Advertisement

Dancor wrote: »
    Is she on another ****ing holiday?

Leave her alone she works two days a week.

Advertisement