Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Yamaha Yzf-r125 petrol consumption

• 24-08-2012 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi all,

I am 23 and looking to get my first bike over the next few months and the Yamaha Yzf-r125 has bought my eye. I haven't got loads of money but i like this bike and i want to make sure that i can afford all of the costs that will go with buying the bike.
    So pretty simple question how would this bike be on petrol? I'm looking at driving probably 20 miles a day inner city to and from college.

any help would be much appreciated.oh and if theres anything else you know about that bike good or bad would also be great cheers.

Jonathan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

It would be pretty economical petrol wise....but its the tax, insurance and gear that will cost you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

JONO, the YZF 125 (baby R1) is a great little bike, but be prepared for higher insurance, and a higher risk of it getting stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Jono!

cheers guys I've factored in prob 300 for gear 60 for tax and 500 for insurance this all seem roughly right to you?

also the tank is roughly 13 litres any idea what milage id get from that full?

and yea the Baby R1 ha great looking bike and all of the reviews are great!

You will not get insured for €500 for a 1st time I would imagine. Also it depends what way you ride the bike to get good milage but its would certainly get you a few days just to and from work on a full tank, but city centre driving would use up more sitting in traffic etc. and starting and stopping.

€300 is not alot to get the full kit inlcd. helmet, prolly looking at more like €500-600 and that not incld locks and chains or better still a ground anchor.

Have you also done the IBT?

i will be doing the IBT. just pricing at the moment. Liberty quoted me 525 on the Yzf on 1st provisional license. won't need ground anchor have a shed.

cheers for your help. is there any good websites for gear? or am i better going to a store? based in limerick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Pipz

I have the r125 and it's my absolute pride and joy. It's amazing on petrol (I was driving for 4 hours around the mountains and barely used a fivers worth), and for my first time insurance (im only 20) I was quoted around 600. Tax is only about 62 for the year, so overall, it's very economical. As far as I remember, I easily got 400-500+km out of a full tank.

The only thing is, it's one of the rarer bikes around, and I am quite paranoid about it being stolen, as it's definitely high risk. (not that about all other bikes arent). At all times I have at least 3 different locks on it, plus I have a ground anchor at my house to lock it on before it goes into the shed for the night.

The IBT will cost around 500, and your gear will/should cost a lot. Helmet you're looking between 200-600 euro, plus boots, trousers, gloves and jacket, = almost a grand just for the gear.

I'd go into a store first to see what fits right, and then maybe buy online, but I wouldnt buy online without sizing everything first, especially the helmet.

Thats not bad for a 1st time quote. If you be quick you could drive up to HEIN GERICKE in Newry they are having a closing down sale with up to 50% off most items. Either that head up to Dublin to cotters and get kitted out they have some good bargains......

As for the shed, make sure its locked in there. You would not believe the stories of bikes being robbed! Even stopped at lights and getting dragged off them, there is a huge surge in bike robberies lately.

Best of luck with getting on the road.

Thank you so much everyone! Really excited now just need to find the rest of the cash! If sll goes to plan I'll give an update with pics etc at the start of October.

Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

I'm going to come off pretty negative here but it's only because I don't want you to make the same mistake as I did.

The biggest cost of getting that bike will be replacing it with a bigger bike a few months down the line. If you were 17-18 it would be a grand bike but at 23 you will get bored of it very very quickly. Reason I know this is I made the same mistake around that age. Got a Cbr125 which is a 4 stroke same as the Yzf, after 3 months I was bored with it and ended up selling it to get an sv650.

Also if you are planning on commuting, a 125 won't be near as stable in winds, they just don't have the size and weight a bigger bike has to hold the road.

Fairings cost money to replace and the vast vast majority of lads drop their bike in one form or another during the first year. Getting a bike with fairings like the Yzf will more than likely mean paying to replace a few road rashed fairings during the time you have it.

Not at all....Its good advice smellslike, I was thinking the same thing but he (jano) came across like he knew that was the bike for him. Maybe a 250cc would suit or even a 400cc would be perfect. Yes, he might have to get it restricted but its worth looking into.

So check out a few different option, some lads of here were out with my last week on the 250cc Ninja and they can more then hold there own and are pretty quick for the bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    As for the shed, make sure its locked in there. You would not believe the stories of bikes being robbed! Even stopped at lights and getting dragged off them, there is a huge surge in bike robberies lately.

Seriously!!!?:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,411 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I'm not saying it's true or false, but if I had a euro for every BS rumour about biking...

Scrap the cap!

thats a good point smellslikeshoes and one i was a little afraid of but kinda fobbed it of in my head a little TBH. what exactly is the Law? when i have the IBT done can i ride a 250 or do i have to have it restricted to 125 until i have my A license?

You didn't come of negative at all, i do have to think of all of this and if i buy a bike and want to sell it again in a few months the girlfriend will murder me!ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Jono! wrote: »
    thats a good point smellslikeshoes and one i was a little afraid of but kinda fobbed it of in my head a little TBH. what exactly is the Law? when i have the IBT done can i ride a 250 or do i have to have it restricted to 125 until i have my A license?

You didn't come of negative at all, i do have to think of all of this and if i buy a bike and want to sell it again in a few months the girlfriend will murder me!ha

JONO,
    in reply to the above in bold.
    When you have the IBT done on an A Learner Permit, you can ride any bike up to 25kw. So a 250/400/600 (restricted to 25kw) is no prob. Remember that anything with an R in its name will cost you a lot more on insurance.
    At age 23 you should get your A learner permit before doing IBT.

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Seriously!!!?:eek:

Its is true, I wish it wasnt. Happened to a fellow biker over on another irish forum that I read about....so I cant imagine it being false. Transit van with 4 lads one in biker gear, 3 pulled him off and the other shot off on the bike. Back into the van and gone.....took seconds.

Anyway back on topic.....

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Hornswoggle

The biggest cost of getting that bike will be replacing it with a bigger bike a few months down the line. If you were 17-18 it would be a grand bike but at 23 you will get bored of it very very quickly. Reason I know this is I made the same mistake around that age. Got a Cbr125 which is a 4 stroke same as the Yzf, after 3 months I was bored with it and ended up selling it to get an sv650.

Have to agree, I had my heart set on an Aprilia RS125 as my first bike, but opted for an SV650 instead as it was only slightly more expensive to insure. For commuting the SV is ideal because you have lots of grunt and you don't get blown around in the wind, but that said the YZF R125 will be much cheaper to run I've heard they are very easy on petrol, which is something to think about with the way the fuel prices are going at the moment. Check out Done Deal for second hand gear (but buy a new helmet) which should allow you to stick to your budget. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Pipz

I dunno, I see where you're coming from with maybe wanting a bigger bike, but when I seen my r125, I just knew that was the bike I wanted to have. My aim is to have an R1 in a few years, but even though mine is only a 125, some of the lads asked when I was planning to upgrade, and I just said not for as long as possible, because I just genuinely love my bike. Doesn't even bother me that it's not that powerful...

Fairings will get scraped, but I actually but rubber bumpers on mine, and when I did let my bike drop, it scraped the exhaust a bit, and a tiny scratch on the bottom of the fairing, but otherwise the little bumper took most of the grunt, and was replaced the next day for like 5 euro, rather than spending 600-900 getting a new fairing.

Plus, I was learning on a vt250 and did my IBT on that, and I find my r125 actually very steady in the wind, cause for a small bike, it's actually heavy enough, and the fairings make it more aerodynamic.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭phoenix0250

Full tank i got like ~450 km, so you are looking at 2.5-3 L per 100km. Overall its a great bike, for the city, as it isnt the greatest on the motorway.

Advertisement