Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

no congestion my arse!

Options
  • 24-08-2012 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭

Right so ive been have this problem for the last month. every night from 9 o'clock onto about 1 am my internet goes terrible! and i mean horrible. my ping sky rockets and signal drops repeatedly and my wifi signal goes right down too 2 out of 5 bars. i have done everything from my end to improve this thinking it was a problem with my hardware. I was useing the standard eircom router. I have upgraded to a netgear N300 modem router. I also purchased a TP-link 300mbps wireless card and 3 10 dbi antennas for it.

During the day its great! I get full bars of signal and an average ping of 40 which is perfect. but after 9 it goes to 300+-1000 and the signal drops to 2 out of 5. and download speed drops to 0.67mbs .

we are paying for no congestion and this looks like a classic case of congestion.
    we are meant to be recieveing up to 15 mbps , but this has never been seen on on any of my tests . the highest ive ever seen is 10 mbps.but the highest ive ever actualy downloaded at is 1.5mbps

so my question is why do i get congestion when im paying for no congestion?

also may i add that this problem is very very enoying as i do alot of online gameing and trying to play games with a unrealible connection is next to impossible.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

You need to think of WiFi as like the signal between your cordless phone and the base station.

Eircom (or any other ISP) do not have control over it. It's possible that if your WiFi signal's disappearing in the evening, a neighbour could be using a WiFi device or a video-sender (not WiFi but uses similar frequencies) that might be wiping out your reception.

Consider changing WiFi channels (you can do this by logging into the router.. see the manual for info)

To test your line for congestion - plug your PC/Mac into the back of the router into an ethernet socket and test over a wired connection.

Otherwise, it could just be a wifi problem, which no ISP can really control.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭IIIAcHmEdIII

i have tried changeing channel and it hasnt fixed it. i live in the country side so theres not loads of different wifi signals available only one that is barely in reach . thanks for the quick reply

If it's a digi-sender / VideoSender or some kind of other device using the same spectrum as WiFi you will not see it as another network as it's not WiFi, it's just using the same frequencies.

Seems odd that your WiFi signal is messed up at particular times of the day.

Are you sure there's nobody using a wireless device to send video signals?

theres only one other house near us and i dont know if they are but if they are they are useing it alot. every night!i ge bad connection from this. it litterly just took me 15miutes to watch a 4 minute film on youtube with it constantly haveing to stop to buffer

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2138580755.png there my latest test. good ping now but ****e! download and upload

• Advertisement

That speed's very slow alright, but you should also test it with an ethernet cable to eliminate any wifi issues from the test.

just done a test from ethernet and its seems very irregualr sometimes ok other not so good. i tested the wifi again on a laptop that was closer and it had a worse ping but a betting download? it all seems messed up

just done a test from ethernet and its seems very irregualr sometimes ok other not so good. i tested the wifi again on a laptop that was closer and it had a worse ping but a betting download? it all seems messed up

If you can't get a decent connection over the ethernet wired connection, then there's a line problem and you should definitely get eircom involved.

Make sure you've got all filters connected (every phone, sky box, fax, etc) should be connected via a filter.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭thret

Getting same problem from about 9pm till 1am.
    My speeds wont drop by much, but my ping goes insane anywhere outside Ireland.
    Could be matter of routing, and would be awesome if any eircom rep could check it out.

Here's my trace route to fshost.de (Game server host)
    Tracing route to fshost.net [82.98.86.171]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.254
    2 21 ms 21 ms 21 ms b-ras1.mgr.mullingar.eircom.net [159.134.155.13]

3 22 ms 22 ms 20 ms tenge-5-1-1.pe1.mgr.dbc-mgr.eircom.net [86.43.24
    7.141]
    4 22 ms 21 ms 26 ms tenge-5-2-1.core1.srl.core.eircom.net [86.43.253
    .117]
    5 33 ms 33 ms 33 ms tenge-2-2-1.pe1.thn.the-thn.eircom.net [86.43.25
    3.114]
    6 90 ms 91 ms 91 ms ge7-1-0.corea.thn.london.eircom.net [86.43.244.1
    94]
    7 107 ms 107 ms 106 ms te3-1.c302.f.de.plusline.net [80.81.193.132]
    8 107 ms 106 ms 106 ms c321.f.de.plusline.net [82.98.98.10]
    9 108 ms 106 ms 106 ms 82.98.92.146
    10 108 ms 106 ms 105 ms gw-dist-pl-a.fhe3rz.net [91.195.240.2]
    11 104 ms 106 ms 107 ms www171.sedoparking.com [82.98.86.171]

Trace complete.

And pingtest to Milton Keynes
    68469151.png

While normal day time ping to Germany would be 50-55 and to UK 35-40

and look its on the mend now http://www.speedtest.net/result/2138686088.png

as said its very irregular and extremely enoying.

• Advertisement

heres something for you to compare against this is todays result at 1 http://www.speedtest.net/result/2139489176.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

If your wifi goes to hell at 9pm ( dark) then change up to a channel above 13 if you can.

You are probably getting swamped by a powerful outdoor security camera system belonging to a neighbour....or a Cowshed or Farmyard cam.

See if they can turn a channel off for ya. Not eircoms fault at all I reckon. :)

If your devices support it, you could try switching to 5 Ghz band too. It's less likely to be swamped.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I wonder if someone can help me. I'm not very technically minded so I'm not sure what my speed test results mean.

Basically my Internet is really slow..pages freezing and then not responding at all-I've tried several different browsers but it must be my Internet connection.

I thought it might be because I'm on wireless (I'm on a laptop) but today I am using my yellow ethernet cable and I'm getting the following results on the speedtest...Can someone tell me if these results are bad and what can I do to improve it?

Download Speed: 8.09mbs
    Upload Speed: 0.42mbs

PS My ping is: 106ms

Change the wifi channel, those results (apart from the ping) are great...if you have an up to 8mbit line. The ping could be because you are pinging the states perhaps??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Right so ive been have this problem for the last month. every night from 9 o'clock onto about 1 am my internet goes terrible! and i mean horrible. my ping sky rockets and signal drops repeatedly and my wifi signal goes right down too 2 out of 5 bars. i have done everything from my end to improve this thinking it was a problem with my hardware. I was useing the standard eircom router. I have upgraded to a netgear N300 modem router. I also purchased a TP-link 300mbps wireless card and 3 10 dbi antennas for it.

During the day its great! I get full bars of signal and an average ping of 40 which is perfect. but after 9 it goes to 300+-1000 and the signal drops to 2 out of 5. and download speed drops to 0.67mbs .

we are paying for no congestion and this looks like a classic case of congestion.
    we are meant to be recieveing up to 15 mbps , but this has never been seen on on any of my tests . the highest ive ever seen is 10 mbps.but the highest ive ever actualy downloaded at is 1.5mbps

so my question is why do i get congestion when im paying for no congestion?

also may i add that this problem is very very enoying as i do alot of online gameing and trying to play games with a unrealible connection is next to impossible.

Hi IIIAcHmEdIII,

Can you PM me with your telephone number so I can run some direct checks on your broadband connection.

Thanks, Mark

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

I have to agree with all of the above Eircom broadband really is poor.

I'm supposed to be getting 8Mb/s I'm lucky if I get in and around 4 Mb/s and if I'm using wifi it can go down to 1Mb/s even though I'm looking at the feckin wireless router across the room.

I really think the wireless routers they provide are cheap pieces of crap I've just transferred over form UPC and I never had an issue with the wireless service although when I rang Eircom to complain I got the usual brush off saying they can't gaurantee their wifi signal even though I explained that I was previously vodafone/upc customer with no issues with their routers.

The last time I called I was told it was probably because my computer was to old and out of date software. Funny that I only bought it in April???

I think I'll see if there's any improvement in the near future or I'll just be going back to upc with my tail between my legs, grass is always greener my arse.

Less than happy Eircom customer.

Before an eircom rep jumps on my reply connected to the router through an ethernet cable I can achieve 5Mb/s still short of advertised and the line is capable of 20+Mb/s

i have changed the channel to 13 and it seems to have fixed it a bit for the mean time although it is still inconsistant it seems to be a bit of both a wireless problem and a eircom side problem.

i have changed the channel to 13 and it seems to have fixed it a bit for the mean time although it is still inconsistant it seems to be a bit of both a wireless problem and a eircom side problem.

How do you go about changing the channel? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

we are paying for no congestion and this looks like a classic case of congestion

'No congestion' doesn't mean anything. Its about as technical as 'Active Oxygen' in your washing machine and 'Pro-V' in your hair.

@Eircom rep, whats the contention ratio on that 'no congestion' service?

• Advertisement

leeomurchu wrote: »
    How do you go about changing the channel? :confused:

if your on the eircom router use this it think:

1) type 192.1.68.1.254 into you adress bar
    2)log in with your details the default pass is usaly "broadband1"
    3)on the side there should be a tab with WAN in it
    4) here you can change the wep key and such you will be able to change the channel here too

hope that helped you.

fussyonion wrote: »
    I wonder if someone can help me. I'm not very technically minded so I'm not sure what my speed test results mean.

Basically my Internet is really slow..pages freezing and then not responding at all-I've tried several different browsers but it must be my Internet connection.

I thought it might be because I'm on wireless (I'm on a laptop) but today I am using my yellow ethernet cable and I'm getting the following results on the speedtest...Can someone tell me if these results are bad and what can I do to improve it?

Hi fussyonion,

I see you were speaking to James a few weeks ago regarding connecting to wifi, I hope that was resolved ok?

Can you PM me with your telephone number so I can run a few checks on your connection because with the speeds you posted the basic browsing should not be freezing?

Thanks, Mark

if your on the eircom router use this it think:

1) type 192.1.68.1.254 into you adress bar
    2)log in with your details the default pass is usaly "broadband1"
    3)on the side there should be a tab with WAN in it
    4) here you can change the wep key and such you will be able to change the channel here too

hope that helped you.

No joy just brought up a google search and no much else. Is there a www address I should be putting in?

Yes, http://192.168.1.254/ is the router management page on your router. You may safely click that link I can assure you.

Hi fussyonion,

The telephone line is testing perfectly and the speed to the main socket is showing the full speed profile:

Synced at: 8160kbps
    Provisioned: 160-8192kbps

Can you go through the following Broadband Checklist - http://bit.ly/K8ZA4P

Do you have any * Spyware and viruses (background programme) can interfere with internet connection, making it slow and/or unreliable. Click here for more information on Spyware?

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Hi Mark

I did everything on the checklist.
    Internet seems faster today; perhaps there was some congestion the last few days.
    OR it might be my browser.
    Thank you for your help, though, much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

NGB, was a Eircom marketing ploy. Look i doubt technology exists that allows for uncongested broadband. If NGB was possible Eircom customers would hardly ever see their download or upload speeds drop unless their was a genuine fault. But Eircom customers my view are not experiencing speeds drop because of a fault the speeds drop happen because uncongested broadband is impossible to achieve on DSL lines.

Fibre i not sure what the case is there. But the NGB myth was created by Eircom and there no truth to it.

The only way Eircom can solve speeds issues is by upgrading their exchanges.

Hi Mark

I did everything on the checklist.
    Internet seems faster today; perhaps there was some congestion the last few days.
    OR it might be my browser.
    Thank you for your help, though, much appreciated.

Hi fussyonion,

I appreciate you taking the time to go through the checklist. I will keep the case open for a few days. let me know if there is any change.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭livemusic4life

I have next generation broadband ultimate up to 24mb
    I can see the exchange from my house, 5 minute walk. But my signal drops all the time. It will say full signal but just not connect or come up with the dsl light issue. It happens all the time. i have been advised several times to do the test that you advised above, it never really makes much of a difference after i connect the modem back to the phone line. Can you advise as to what the problem might be. I've lost connection 3 times today already :( and i don't know if there is anything i can do

• Advertisement

I have next generation broadband ultimate up to 24mb
    I can see the exchange from my house, 5 minute walk. But my signal drops all the time. It will say full signal but just not connect or come up with the dsl light issue. It happens all the time. i have been advised several times to do the test that you advised above, it never really makes much of a difference after i connect the modem back to the phone line. Can you advise as to what the problem might be. I've lost connection 3 times today already :( and i don't know if there is anything i can do

Hi livemusic4life,

Can you PM me with your tel no: or account number and I can look into the speeds you are getting.

Thanks, Mark

Advertisement