Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

no congestion my arse!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭livemusic4life

Hi livemusic4life,

Can you PM me with your tel no: or account number and I can look into the speeds you are getting.

Thanks, Mark

i sent the pm, can you let me know if you got it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

i sent the pm, can you let me know if you got it?

Hi livemusic4life,

Thanks for calling broadband technical support, I hope the change in wireless channel / frequency yields an improvement in the wifi connection. If you need me to check or follow up on anything let me know.

Thanks, Mark

2 weeks later and the bloody dsl light is still flashing like a christmas tree at busy times of the day. I thought it was supposed to be uncongested?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Flashing DSL is not a sign of congestion, it is a sign of a line fault, or router fault, or hardware fault in the exchange. DSL would not dropwere there congestion which by and large is rare on the 400 odd NGB exchanges.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Flashing DSL is not a sign of congestion, it is a sign of a line fault, or router fault, or hardware fault in the exchange. DSL would not dropwere there congestion which by and large is rare on the 400 odd NGB exchanges.

I was told that if the dsl light flashes that its a problem on eircoms side, not mine. they can't figure out what the fault is after 18 months. 3 or 4 times the engineers have been out. Solution is to drop my speed even though the line is capable of 20mg. it makes no difference. They think its acceptable for me to have intermittent internet for 4 days and have good internet for a day. How many times is it acceptable for your internet to drop during the day?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi livemusic4life

I apologise for this and the inconvenience this has caused. The best advice i can offer you is to report this to technical support as i have looked into this and cannot see any fault on your line. I have also called technical support and they cannot identify an issue but have asked me to advise you to call them again on 1890260260.

Regards

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Chaos Marine

I had this problem about two years ago when Eircom decided to update one of their DNS exchanges. I'd found out this by having to call repeatedly till one lady admitted that the were doing upgrades and that my connection was going to another exchange farther away which was also handling the people around me who also were using Eircom. That's why it gets so busy. It lasted somewhere about two or three months and at that point I'd said **** it and went to another provider. I'm only on this board now because my connection just went to crap in the last hour and I'm looking to see if anyone else is getting this.

Hi livemusic4life

I apologise for this and the inconvenience this has caused. The best advice i can offer you is to report this to technical support as i have looked into this and cannot see any fault on your line. I have also called technical support and they cannot identify an issue but have asked me to advise you to call them again on 1890260260.

Regards

Al

Thanks for the reply Alan, sadly no one seems to know what the story is. I've had 5 different suggestions from channel frequency to firmware update and everything in between. I hate phoning because no one can answer my questions and last week i was contacted on my mobile when i was out and i was promised a call back the next day, which as you can imagine didn't happen.
    I'm getting tired of it to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I was told that if the dsl light flashes that its a problem on eircoms side, not mine.
    Well, to be more precise, it could be anywhere between the plug on your router where the phone line plugs in, up to and including the exchange, including the internal wiring in your house. I do a lot of PC repairs and the state of the phone wiring in many houses that I see is often woeful, a rats nest would be a better description half the time. Eircom will only deal with the wiring from the eircom master socket onwards, so if your own internal wiring is causing the problem, then that's your problem. In many older houses though there is no official eircom master socket, and the phone line just enters the house and then connects up to the aforementioned rats nest. Also miles and miles of untwisted cheap 'alarm cable' won't help matters either, picking up interference from any nearby source.

Alun wrote: »
    Well, to be more precise, it could be anywhere between the plug on your router where the phone line plugs in, up to and including the exchange, including the internal wiring in your house. I do a lot of PC repairs and the state of the phone wiring in many houses that I see is often woeful, a rats nest would be a better description half the time. Eircom will only deal with the wiring from the eircom master socket onwards, so if your own internal wiring is causing the problem, then that's your problem. In many older houses though there is no official eircom master socket, and the phone line just enters the house and then connects up to the aforementioned rats nest. Also miles and miles of untwisted cheap 'alarm cable' won't help matters either, picking up interference from any nearby source.

Well they've told me that the problem isn't on my side. They seem to be pretty certain of that. i've had the router changed, the filters changed, when the engineer plugs into our sockets, he says its showing that the line is perfect and that its receiving the signal from the exchange okay.
    Admittedly its been okay since i last post, so maybe its solved...... i have my doubts though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

i've had the router changed, the filters changed, when the engineer plugs into our sockets
    The guy who shows up at your house and swaps parts around with his fingers crossed is not an engineer.

Gurgle wrote: »
    The guy who shows up at your house and swaps parts around with his fingers crossed is not an engineer.

well he told me he was an engineer, so surely if he's not that's more than a bit naughty from Eircom!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Some of them are properly trained technicians, the ones working for KN are pretty badly trained to be honest.

Advertisement