Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty Dell Computer Third time for fault to develop.

Options
  • 24-08-2012 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭

I got a Dell PC Last Christmas.

It developed a noisy fan in the video card after a couple of months. This fan was replaced by a reconditioned fan. This video card developed a noisy fan after couple of months and was replaced.

The third fan has now gone faulty.

What are my rights / options in this case.

I have had the fault fixed twice and it failed a third time.

If I let them replace the fan it could go again and if it is when it is outside the waranty period I would have to replace the video card myself at a cost of 50 Euro.

Can I get the PC replaced at this stage as they have been offered 2 opertunities to fix it and it is still broken.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Appologies if this was posted before but I tried the thred search for a similar problem.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

The Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act, 1980
    http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Ho.../Faulty-goods/

However, if a repair is offered and accepted, then it should be permanent. If not, and the same fault occurs again, then the buyer is entitled to seek another form of redress from the list.
    You can also reject the retailer/supplier's offer if you wish to seek another form of redress. If you do, you may have to take the matter to the courts to have it resolved.

Tell Dell you are demanding a new computer, if the refuse take them to the Small Claims Court and this piece of legislation I quote above is rock solid, I sued Three mobile this year and defeated them and not only was the problem I was having corrected but they also had to pay compensation to me.

As someone who does occasional IT work and keeps well within the loop of IT, I can tell you Dell are absolute rubbish of overpriced non standard junk. Push them for a refund and buy elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Great advice there.

The video card seems to have a crap fan which they recondition with an even crappier fan.

I think I will push them for a refund when I ring them on Monday.

I don't fancy my chances as I am dealing with a foreign help desk who won't under stand the law in Ireland.

They have really have gone down hill since they moved from Ireland.

Anyone got a successful experience of dealing with Dell on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Celeron Media

It developed a noisy fan in the video card after a couple of months. This fan was replaced by a reconditioned fan.

Was the fan replaced by Dell or jack the lad? It doesn't sound like a faulty fan to begin with but an overheating or power supply issue and I couldn't imagine dell or a licensed dell repair shop using 2nd hand parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Its very unlikely that you are going to get an entire machine replaced because of a broken fan. Dell could claim it wasn't even a fault and they were just looking to try and keep you happy.

That aside the warranty period has little to do with your consumer rights. The repair should have been permanent. If it is repaired again and goes outside the warraty period you still have recourse. I would insist they replace the video card - if they are unwilling to do that issue a small claims proceeding on that basis. Don't be thinking your getting a brand new GTX670 either. Look at a comparative card.

If you're unreasonable it will go against you.

It developed a noisy fan in the video card after a couple of months. This fan was replaced by a reconditioned fan.

Was the fan replaced by Dell or jack the lad? It doesn't sound like a faulty fan to begin with but an overheating or power supply issue and I couldn't imagine dell or a licensed dell repair shop using 2nd hand parts.

Sorry I should have been clearer. On both occasions they sent me a reconditioned video card which I installed.
    I got the impression from labelling on the video card that it was reconditioned. Each time the video card was the same type as the one they removed. I have no interest in getting a better video card as I don't play games on the machine. However I have 2 monitors connected which needs a video card.

As you say it may be some other problem with the system which is causing the fan to fail. I.e. insufficient voltage or power from the motherboard.

I use the machine for studying and the noise from the fan is very distracting. I can hear it in another room.

There is a processor fan and a case fan which have been fine. I leave the machine powered on 24 7 which may be an issue. But the machine should still be capable of this.

• Advertisement

I think my option at this stage is to buy a video card with no fan.

Can get one for about 70 euros and put it down to experience never buy another dell.

Pity as I got a few of them over the years and recommended them to friends, however since they moved from Ireland, the quality of the components has not been as good and the phone support is not great.

To replace the machine would cause me more hassle than it is worth as I have a lot of software on the machine that would that me ages to re-install.

I have no confidence in their ability to get me a working video card that will work for any period.

Dell you just lost a customer for life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

dingding wrote: »
    ... I leave the machine powered on 24 7 which may be an issue. But the machine should still be capable of this.
    That should not be an issue once you are happy that he machine cannot overheat and cause a fire while unattended.

From the point of view of the electro-mechanical and electronic components in the machine, leaving it powered on is optimal as their biggest threat is thermal shock damage from constantly switching on and off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Celeron Media

That should not be an issue once you are happy that he machine cannot overheat and cause a fire while unattended.

Machines can & do overheat and cause fires while unattended. Thats one of the main factors in house fire deaths.

THat's why I changed it for one of those "silent" video cards that do not have a fan.

One less thing to fail and overheat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

dingding wrote: »
    THat's why I changed it for one of those "silent" video cards that do not have a fan.

One less thing to fail and overheat.

They can still overheat if there isn't sufficient airflow in the case. A computer overheating to the point of combustion is a might rare occurrence.

• Advertisement
Advertisement