Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st Year Arts - Gaeilge HELP

Options
  • 24-08-2012 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi.. I am atm trying to figure out what subjects to do in my first year in Arts. I missed out on Primary School Teaching by 15points, so Arts was my plan B and i hope to go on to do a post grad in teaching after. I was wondering if anyone who has done Gaeilge in arts, what is it like? Irish was never my best subject even though i managed to get the c3 requirement for teaching.. do you need to have a high standard of irish to cope with the course? I know the basics and im willing to work hard at improving my Irish as i've a better chance of getting into a post grad in teaching if i do irish.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Emily van Dickinson

Hi welcome to Galway :)
    You'd need to have a good level of oral comprehension as all literature and grammar classes are done completely through Irish. Don't let it faze you though as you'll get used of it fairly quickly!The student union ran casual conversational Irish evenings last year if you want to ease yourself in gently! As for written, all grammar is meant to be covered in the tutorials but it's really upto yourself to sit down and learn it; from my experience you're just handed out notes :/ You have a 500 ish word assignment every 2-3weeks, if you keep up with them and learn from your corrections you should be ok in that module.
    Re litríocht/sochai na gaeilge the exams tend to be straightforward..learn you're lecture notes and again you should be ok!

Might be of help: http://www.nuigalway.ie/gaeilge/documents/1ba_lmhleabhar_20112012.pdf -course handbook

If you decide you don't want to take Irish as a subject you can always do the dioploma sa ghaeilge to keep your Irish up-will help for the primary teaching app too hopefully:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dearbhlaj

Thanks a million for your advice :) need to have a good long think about it haha. The diaploma sa ghaeilge sounds like a really good idea if i decide not to choose gaeilge, will defo consider it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Emily van Dickinson

Any other qs re arts in general etc feel free to ask! Best of luck :)

Advertisement