Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa requirements for wife

Options
  • 24-08-2012 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I am on the verge of being offered a job in the US, and all things going well i should be moved over in the next two/three months. Its a transfer with work so they are sorting out my visa and all that kind of thing, but i am wondering what options are available to my wife.

We are both irish, and she will want to get a job once we move over, but is unsure which visa type she will require. Does it make a difference that we are married? Does it make a difference that i will already have a visa and full time employment? I have tried looking on the internet but it seems there is nearly too much information out there.

Has anyone been through a similar experience when moving to the US and what sort of visa etc did your wife (or you as a wife) require?

Any and all advice much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

If your employer is sorting your visa, they should by rights sort one for your wife too. Most work visas have "dependant visas" for spouses and minor kids, though depending on the type of visa YOU get, she may or may not be able to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Zymurgist

I will be getting an "L Visa" as far as i know. According to the internet this will entitle my wife to claim an L2 visa as the spouse of an L Visa holder.

Is this an automatic thing or could she still be turned down does anybody know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

She can be turned down, but only for major things, such as a criminal past, previous overstays in the USA etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

I just got the L1-a visa

Your wife will be able to get one no bother but is "L2". It's a "dependent" visa. She'll be able to work , but according to my lawyer it'll take 3 months to get the EADS stamp for her to enable her to work.

We had the visa interview this morning at the embassy in Madrid. It was literally "what are you doing, where", showed proof of job and marriage and "ok, you'll get your passport back next week, congratulations".

That was it, literally 3 sentences, and me ****ting myself for a month waiting for it all

Advertisement