Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment agent cheating

Options
  • 24-08-2012 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello , Seeking information, an apartment agent for cheating and lying to us. We(me,my husband and new born) were searching for apts in end of Apri/May, infact we were in hotel, and we liked the apts posted by agent on daft, we met agent, agent showed the apts, when it was almost finalized(thats when I set standing order to pay the rent) and we were supposed to get the keys, thats when agent told us, we are not getting apts because landlord doesnt want to give to Indians(excuse) and later she also said, anyways apts got mould landlord covered by new paints and she discouraged for that apartment, saying its not good apts.

So what options we have? do we need stay in hotel room(pay euros everyday) and fight against the so called landlord comments(from agent, as we dnt know the truth) and also agent lied about mould initially. Since we have new baby, we would have never seen that apts in first place which has mould. What options we had?

Instead search for another apts? Any sensible people would find another apts, and we informed agent, about our search. I was under lot of stress with searching apts and living in the hotel room with a baby. I forgot to cancel the standing order.

Later agent called and said, now landlord is willing to give to Indians to avoid racism law cases, by then it was too late for us, we found another. Agent is aware of this too before out search and after our search.

Here is the problem, since I was stressed and forgot to cancel the standing order, and end up paying rent for 3months to agent for free, and agent never informed, she kept quite as she was getting euros for FREE. Any honest person would never do that especially for 3momnths on someone else hard earned money, When I realized about my bank account, and asked agent since 4-5weeks, after long wait and repeated calls, she comes back yesterday and returned only partial amount, now she says she is charging for deposit amount, and also 10days rent? we have no clue why. There is no contract, she never gave the keys and infact, no document signed, now she lying.

What options we have now? File a case with courts.ie as small clients, and also we went through lot of stress for her cheating case, it never happened before, so we have no experience in dealing with it. Please share your thought or any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭variety

There is a new Regulatory Authority that ALL agents must be registered with. They also have a compensation scheme for people who suffer a loss. I would definitely complain to them. You can find all details at www.npsra.ie
    Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It is unacceptable. They stopped you, not the other way around. Tell them you want all your money immediately or you will initiate complaints.

Talk to Threshold and/or the PRTB. The property / money complaint needs to go through the PRTB. The racism complaint could go to the Equality Authority, however, this may be legally difficult. Find out what professional organisations the agent is part of an consider making a complaint to them.

www.threshold.ie
    www.prtb.ie
    http://www.equalitytribunal.ie/Equal_Status_/Guide-to-Procedures/

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mac.in

Victor wrote: »
    It is unacceptable. They stopped you, not the other way around. Tell them you want all your money immediately or you will initiate complaints.

Talk to Threshold and/or the PRTB. The property / money complaint needs to go through the PRTB. The racism complaint could go to the Equality Authority, however, this may be legally difficult. Find out what professional organisations the agent is part of an consider making a complaint to them.

www.threshold.ie
    www.prtb.ie
    http://www.equalitytribunal.ie/Equal_Status_/Guide-to-Procedures/

Thanks for your strong and justified (lawfully) advice.

Advertisement