Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning Deutsch

• 25-08-2012 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

I've been learning german on and off for over a year now, and although I am increasing my vocab slowly, I don't think I'm getting much better at actually speaking german.

I've just completed Rosetta Stone Level 1 and am considering starting Level 2, but I'm not entirely confident in the Rosetta Stone approach tbh.

I've also managed to get my hands on some German music and I've looked at some websites including the one already recommended somewhere on this site: leicht-deutsch-lernen.com

I usually spend btw 20 mins to an hour most days either on Rosetta stone or some of those websites or looking at german videos on youtube.

Does anyone have any more advice about different approaches or perhaps maybe I should plan a trip to a german speaking country.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Structurally Sound Mentally Unstable

Hi,
    I am learning German at the moment too. I may be a bit more advanced, but I am basically still a beginner (starting level A2.2 tomorrow in Munich for the month).

I was really focused on grammar, but someone pointed out that you need vocab as much as grammar! I use www.memrise.com to practice my german vocab. It is a repetitive fun way to make sure that German stays in your head!

I started '1000 Words of Elementary German' at the start of August, and am currently at over 500 words! What I like about this course is that it isn't focused on food/furniture/weather that you probably have covered in Rosetta Stone. I like that I am learning words that I wouldn't have learned otherwise. I would say I do know quite a few of the words before I started, but that is OK too. You will find it hard to do a course that you know 0% in.

You will get addicted to watering your flowers...those who use the site will know what I mean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Try this on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6AB67B348FBE5C2C&feature=g-all-a

It's a silly sitcom in German designed to help you learn the language. It's completely corny but helpful in that it gives german subtitles so that you can see the words as you hear them. Then, at the end it recaps and lets you figure out the words you weren't sure of.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Alex152

Hi,

I just tried the http://www.memrise.com/ and it's great, thanks :)

My concerns are over speaking too. I understand very well but when it comes to speaking, I get quite shy and then start losing confidence. I have been trying something out lately to help my speaking skills, www.easylanguageexchange.com , once a week I find something to read, an article and read it out to an native speaker and that way they can correct me and I find it's helped alot.

I find work related articles as I need to learn for my job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭howardmarks

Hi,
    I am learning German at the moment too. I may be a bit more advanced, but I am basically still a beginner (starting level A2.2 tomorrow in Munich for the month).

I was really focused on grammar, but someone pointed out that you need vocab as much as grammar! I use www.memrise.com to practice my german vocab. It is a repetitive fun way to make sure that German stays in your head!

I started '1000 Words of Elementary German' at the start of August, and am currently at over 500 words! What I like about this course is that it isn't focused on food/furniture/weather that you probably have covered in Rosetta Stone. I like that I am learning words that I wouldn't have learned otherwise. I would say I do know quite a few of the words before I started, but that is OK too. You will find it hard to do a course that you know 0% in.

You will get addicted to watering your flowers...those who use the site will know what I mean
    Thanks for this. Site seems just what i need.
    Starting a basic german course after finding it on boards deals.
    Probably do the goethe after. Are u living in munich?

Advertisement