Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about medicine!

• 25-08-2012 12:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 74 ✭✭

Is it possible to go on and study medicine if I'm only doing biology for my leaving cert? I've heard something about plc courses and stuff, just wondering if its possible through something like them :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

moriz wrote: »
    Is it possible to go on and study medicine if I'm only doing biology for my leaving cert? I've heard something about plc courses and stuff, just wondering if its possible through something like them :)

Plcs dont have a direct route into medicine not that i know of anyway.
    most colleges require two sciences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 74 ✭✭moriz

Sunny!! wrote: »
    Plcs dont have a direct route into medicine not that i know of anyway.
    most colleges require two sciences.

I've heard of some exam that you can take after doing a plc that will gain you entry to a medicine course, if I'm not completely mistaken?
    I was just wondering if you still need the two sciences in LC to do that kind of exam.
    Hope I'm not too confusing..

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

Only NUIG and UCD will accept one science as far as I know, the rest of them require two sciences with one or two requiring that one of the two has to be chemistry (could be wrong now on that bit)

If you go to NUIG or UCD youll do pre-med for a year where you'll basically do the three leaving cert sciences and a bit more so your prepared for the full medicine course

I've heard of some exam that you can take after doing a plc that will gain you entry to a medicine course, if I'm not completely mistaken?
    I was just wondering if you still need the two sciences in LC to do that kind of exam.
    Hope I'm not too confusing..

I've never heard of this and think its highly unlikely to get into such a high demand after doing a plc course for a year. I could be wrong though:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭whistlin_boy

Nearly certain you can be accepted onto the 6 year RCSI course if you have only one science...will check now!
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭whistlin_boy

Just checked now......You can do the six year course with only biology

Source: http://www.rcsi.ie/index.jsp?p=112&n=202&a=744#Entry

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Entry requirements for undergraduate medicine.

Click on Entry to Medicine, choose Undergraduate

This year's, obviously, but they haven't changed that much recently apart from the HPAT.

NUI Galway, RCSI and UCD all have a 6 year course which requires only one science.

I've never heard of a route through a PLC into Med; into many other courses, yes, but not med.

You may be thinking of the graduate route, where people can do a degree in science or whatever and apply for med then?

Very costly option though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

I know of someone who graduated this year and started out doing a plc. They did Arts, Classics and another subject and did the grad med course in Limerick. Just to point it out...it is possible!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I know of someone who graduated this year and started out doing a plc. They did Arts, Classics and another subject and did the grad med course in Limerick. Just to point it out...it is possible!
    Oh, sure, didn't mean to imply it couldn't happen that way ... but *direct entry* into med from a PLC?

I'd be thrilled to hear it could happen, but I can't say I've encountered it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 74 ✭✭moriz

Just checked now......You can do the six year course with only biology

Source: http://www.rcsi.ie/index.jsp?p=112&n=202&a=744#Entry

:)

Thanks guys, that really helped me out :D

Is RCSI a private college or what?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

If you are particularly poor you can apply for the Trinity Access Programme. Basically you can do a year of sciences and then if you do really well you can go into med in Trinity. :)

fees are hefty if you go the plc route though!

Advertisement