Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House on Keem Beach - Inhabited?

Options
  • 25-08-2012 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just back from spending a very enjoyable week on Achill.

Had a swim down on Keem beach and noticed that the wee house on the beach appeared to be inhabited. There was smoke coming from the chimney and people sat outside on chairs. Had a sneaky glance in the door when walking up the gangway and it appeared quite rough and ready inside.

Anyone know what the story is with the house? (And yes, I am just being pure nosey). Strikes me as a beautiful location to spend some time when the weather is good but can't imagine what it's like when the weather turns!

Edit: This is the house by the way (not my photo): http://www.flickr.com/photos/davegkelly/7814470364/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

paulocon2 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just back from spending a very enjoyable week on Achill.

Had a swim down on Keem beach and noticed that the wee house on the beach appeared to be inhabited. There was smoke coming from the chimney and people sat outside on chairs. Had a sneaky glance in the door when walking up the gangway and it appeared quite rough and ready inside.

Anyone know what the story is with the house? (And yes, I am just being pure nosey). Strikes me as a beautiful location to spend some time when the weather is good but can't imagine what it's like when the weather turns!

Edit: This is the house by the way (not my photo): http://www.flickr.com/photos/davegkelly/7814470364/

No one is living in that , more than likely someone using for a few days. i was down a few weeks back and it was empty as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

I think that place was up fpr sale on Daft recently - if I remember correctly it was valued at around the 50k mark, and there was some unbroken land with it.

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭paulocon2

TopTec wrote: »
    I think that place was up fpr sale on Daft recently - if I remember correctly it was valued at around the 50k mark, and there was some unbroken land with it.

TT

Thanks for that. Looks like someone may have bought the house and using it as a 'bothy' of sorts on occasions. Would love to know the history behind the house.

Thanks for that. Looks like someone may have bought the house and using it as a 'bothy' of sorts on occasions. Would love to know the history behind the house.

i think it was an old coast guard station

• Registered Users Posts: 28 jvm76

irishgeo wrote: »

i think it was an old coast guard station

The old coast guard station is the larger building further behind it. About 20 years ago a Belgian artist called Axel Miret used to live in it. I think it might have been built during the shark fishing boom in the 50's.

• Advertisement

I understood it was owned by someone originally from the island who used it occasionally in the summer for holidays.

It doesn't have electricity, running water or a toilet afaik.

I wouldn't know if it was put up for sale.

jvm76 wrote: »
    The old coast guard station is the larger building further behind it. About 20 years ago a Belgian artist called Axel Miret used to live in it. I think it might have been built during the shark fishing boom in the 50's.

Yeah, the coastguard station is the larger building beyond the toilets. I wonder when that ceased to be used - still looks to be in decent condition (albeit when looking at it from a distance).

[QUOTE=jvm76;804basking e old coast guard station is the larger building further behind it. About 20 years ago a Belgian artist called Axel Miret used to live in it. I think it might have been built during the shark fishing boom in the 50's.

Yeah, the coastguard station is the larger building beyond the toilets. I wonder when that ceased to be used - still looks to be in decent condition (albeit when looking at it from a distance).[/Quote]

I am sure the house is owned by Alan gielty who owns gielty pub. It was used by his father to look out for basking shark in the summer when they were hunting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Was over there last year. Popped into one of the pubs and ordered a pint. While waiting for the pint i thought i'd ask the girl behind the bar if the England - Switzerland game was going to be on the tv. As i looked around i noticed pics of Gerry Adams and lots of balaclava clad individuals and books on the the troubles and IRA posters. Decided not to ask in the end :)

What a beach. If you ignored the biting wind you could be Barbados.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

ciaran67 wrote: »
    Was over there last year. Popped into one of the pubs and ordered a pint. While waiting for the pint i thought i'd ask the girl behind the bar if the England - Switzerland game was going to be on the tv. As i looked around i noticed pics of Gerry Adams and lots of balaclava clad individuals and books on the the troubles and IRA posters. Decided not to ask in the end :)

Really? Pictures of balaclava clad individuals? Can anyone else corroborate this?

• Advertisement

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Really? Pictures of balaclava clad individuals? Can anyone else corroborate this?

On cover of a book.

Wind your neck in mate it was a humorous story..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Bluefoam wrote: »

On cover of a book.

Wind your neck in mate it was a humorous story..
    Hilarious...

its not a humorous story its a well known sinn fein pub and it even have a collection box for the Colombian 3 when that carry on was going on. Pictures of balaclava clad indivduals might be egging it on a bit. But i never studied the pictures on the wall that much.

The Minaun View Bay is the name of it.

The pub is located be keel cavaran park not keem where the house.

irishgeo wrote: »
    its not a humorous story its a well known sinn fein pub and it even have a collection box for the Colombian 3 when that carry on was going on. Pictures of balaclava clad indivduals might be egging it on a bit. But i never studied the pictures on the wall that much.

The Minaun View Bay is the name of it.

The pub is located be keel cavaran park not keem where the house.

Oooh dear.

Humorous story is in someone wanting to watch and England football match and picking somewhere that wouldn't want to watch any thing English.

Bit like going into a vegetarian restaurant and asking for a rare bloody steak.

As it goes it was a nice pub and the locals were welcoming and the Guinness lovely.

Anyways....

Keem Beach, smashing spot!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Minaun View is a very SF pub - only one such in Mayo I know of.

However there is a strong soccer tradition in Achill amongst people of all political leanings. I doubt if there would be any bother about having soccer on.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

I realise this is an old thread but did anyone since find out who owns the old Coastguard house at Keem and what is happening with it if anything? Camped over night there recently for the first time in some years and yea what a magical place!

Regarding the Mináun View, last time I was there it seemed to be run by a Glasgow Irish family and not locals? The Annex up the road is a better spot anyway!

Any feedback on Coastguard station or the two beach houses in front welcome!

Gingko wrote: »
    I realise this is an old thread but did anyone since find out who owns the old Coastguard house at Keem and what is happening with it if anything? Camped over night there recently for the first time in some years and yea what a magical place!

Regarding the Mináun View, last time I was there it seemed to be run by a Glasgow Irish family and not locals? The Annex up the road is a better spot anyway!

Any feedback on Coastguard station or the two beach houses in front welcome!
    The minaun view is closed now. A shame really. I'll do a bit of research on the houses at Keem and get back to you. The Annex could really do with a facelift considering it is the only pub in keel now.

Any word on Paul Mc pub being built? Although from what heard that might not be going ahead now. Not sure I can post what I heard here so I won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

The Minaun View is the property of the McFadden sisters,

Michael O'Connor a consulting engineer in Dublin used to own a cottage at Keem.

Advertisement