Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sewing Machine Recommendations?

• 25-08-2012 1:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a sewing machine, nothing too heavy duty, really just to be doing some quilting and alterations to clothes. Does anyone have any recommendations for them? I'm a student so price is a bit of an issue for me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,920 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You can get sewing machines quite cheaply in such as lidl and aldi when they are on offer. My own inclination would be to get a reconditioned second hand good quality machine, Brother, Singer, Pfaff. The Singer shop in Waterford is excellent if you are anywhere near here.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 lisa dingle

i would also recommend the singer shop in waterford, i bought my machine there and couldn't recommend them highly enough. they also have an online store. http://www.sewingmachinesireland.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 154 ✭✭ArtOfEscape

I highly recommend the Electronic Sewing Machine Centre on Parnell St in Dublin. They're a Bernina dealership and they stock refurbished and brand new machines. Bernina are a great make and some of the older machines they stock will last you a lifetime. Good luck! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Nooooo don't get a lidl or Aldi machine, they are absolutely awful! They are so shoddily made and if anything goes wrong it's pretty much impossible to get it serviced or repaired as they are imported! Personally I'd stay away from Singer too, they've got a great name from an old tradition but it's not been deserved in quite a while now. Personally I love Husqvarna's, Brother's and Pfaff's, they are uncomplicated, sturdy, reliable, a pleasure to use and can be serviced almost any where. That being said I have a digital Janome CXL301 now, but it's semi-professional and has a million and one functions, the extra programmable functions were the only reason I got it over the Husqvarna in the end. In my college we are recommended by the principle to go to the Singer centre in Waterford. That's were I got my Janome. The guy there is incredibly knowledgable and nice and sets up all the machines so you can have a go on them before deciding. He also offers courier delivery and his prices are very reasonable. If anything goes wrong with the machine he'll look after it for you too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭jessabell88

I bought mine second hand off a lovely lady on adverts, that was a while ago but like you i only wanted for minor alterations etc... nothing heavy duty. I havent had one issue with it at all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 The Circular Journey

Ditto to what ArtofEscape said

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mpkhogan

i have seen some great machines in ikea, also i have an aldi machine {delta} its really good but consider this i'm having problems getting a power cable for it so if i buy another machine i'll go for a more well known brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sandymags

I have had a janome and now a brother, i've found them both great but I think I preffered the janome - and i'm not really sure why to be honest.

I have seen a few up on online classifieds sites, there seems to be some people who thoguht theyd love it but now have no use for the machines after growing tired - there's definitely some great bargains to be picked up
    might be worth trying Donedeal, gumtree, buyandsell, adverts.ie, sites like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

I wouldn't buy online, you would have no clue whether it had been serviced regularly, or kept dry and away from dust, or whether it had been worked too hard in it's life. You can buy second hand off proper dealers who would have them well serviced and checked out first. Machines are so finecky as it is, you're much better buying from someone you can bring it back to if anything goes wrong!

Advertisement