Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a little help... Want to get this sorted for the sons B Day.

Options
  • 25-08-2012 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭

My young lad is playing minecraft on his mates xbox and looking up loads of minecraft vids on youtube. He is basically minecraft mad at the moment! :D

I want to get him minecraft on the xbox for his birthday coming up.

We dont have any xbox live sub at the moment, so is it just a case of me going and getting an xbox sub online or instore (prob do the year long one for him) and then downloading minecraft through xbox live? :confused:

Thanks for any help with this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

you can set up an xbox live silver account for free using a windows live (hotmail) email address and download it from the market place. you can either but it with a credit card or buy a 2100/4200 points card in a game shop/argos. the easier option is probably to get the 2100 points card from somewhere like gamestop and redeem the code on the xbox. then just buy the game from the xbox marketplace and let it download

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Access wrote: »
    My young lad is playing minecraft on his mates xbox and looking up loads of minecraft vids on youtube. He is basically minecraft mad at the moment! :D

I want to get him minecraft on the xbox for his birthday coming up.

We dont have any xbox live sub at the moment, so is it just a case of me going and getting an xbox sub online or instore (prob do the year long one for him) and then downloading minecraft through xbox live? :confused:

Thanks for any help with this.

No, you don't have to get him an online subscription to Xbox Live, you just have to purchase Xbox live points to redeem on the machine itself, what you do is connect the Xbox to the internet and set up a profile. Add points to the profile and then buy the game....

I think its 1600 points....

If you Google cheap Xbox live codes, there are sites that sell them cheaper then the shops if you have a credit card, otherwise any game shop will sell you a scratchcard with the points....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Macker1

Shop around for the points but it will be cheaper to buy online. I have used the below site for MS points now on two occasions with no issues whatsoever. Email with code normally has arrived in my inbox minutes after my purchase.

http://www.cheapxboxlivecodes.com/cheap-microsoft-points/cheap-microsoft-1800-points/

Redeem the points and then purchase the game on the marketplace.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Thanks for that lads... I would be lost without knowing what i needed to do.

I will get the points so, prob from that site and buy the game using them. Just wondering though, does he need to have an xbox live sub for that minecraft game if he wants to swap items/connect with his mate up the road in the game/do other things in the game or would he be able to do all that without a sub?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Thanks for that lads... I would be lost without knowing what i needed to do.

I will get the points so, prob from that site and buy the game using them. Just wondering though, does he need to have an xbox live sub for that minecraft game if he wants to swap items/connect with his mate up the road in the game/do other things in the game or would he be able to do all that without a sub?

He'd need an Xbox Live supscription for all the online features of the game. Again, subscriptions can be bought in pre-paid card form too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Thanks for that... yeah thats good to know, it makes sense for me to get the yearly sub to xbox live anyways as he has been bugging me for ages to get it so he can play his other games online too (halo etc.)

He already has his normal profile (his name) on the xbox.
    I take it he would have to setup a new profile with a gamer tag to use the xbox live side of things?

And would that site mentioned above be good for yearly subs price wise or can anyone recommend a better place to buy? (i saw the prices argos were charging online there :eek:)

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Thanks for that... yeah thats good to know, it makes sense for me to get the yearly sub to xbox live anyways as he has been bugging me for ages to get it so he can play his other games online too (halo etc.)

He already has his normal profile (his name) on the xbox.
    I take it he would have to setup a new profile with a gamer tag to use the xbox live side of things?

And would that site mentioned above be good for yearly subs price wise or can anyone recommend a better place to buy? (i saw the prices argos were charging online there :eek:)

Thanks.

He can upgrade his offline account and make it into a Live enabled account from the console. It will make a Gamertag for him, which he can change for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Word of advice here, do not enter your credit card details into the xbox it self, not only is that more expensive as pointed out but it will save the details meaning the young lad could potentially buy at will without having to enter the credit card info again, been a couple of cases on here of the years of that happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jacrk95

all you need is to buy a 2100 microsoft card (21euro) put code in his account and download the game(i think) costs 1600 pts so he could buy some other games with whats left

Advertisement